Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Center Visitation Rights
Victoria 12:57 PM 09-11-2007
Would you be able to forward me any state laws that would govern how day care must handle visitors to children while in their care?

A brief explanation: I tried to visit with our grandchildren while they were in daycare. I found out that I was not on the "authorized" list to sign the children out of daycare, but stated that I was only there to visit with them. They looked at my id, checked their paperwork and told me that I was not able to visit because the mother had not authorized me. I asked if the father of the children could authorize me, and was told that the fathers' name was not authorized either. The mother is more or less holding the children hostage until court mediation in October. All of this has come about because our son (the children's father) wanted it legalized that we had the children 5 days per week for the last 3 years, and the mother has only had the children 2 days per week for the last 3 years. There has never been a court order, nor has there been a problem with this agreed upon visitation schedule until my son wanted it done formally.

Are there any state guidelines that we must know about as far as visiting with these children while they are at daycare? Can the mother say, without a court order, who cannot visit with the children while at day care? Any and all help with the state laws would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance
Jonathan 01:15 PM 09-11-2007
My understanding is that the primary caregiver, usually the mother, can create the list of visitors seeing the child until the court orders otherwise in a potential family dispute. The other caregiver/parent would need to get an injunction to clarify who is permitted to see or pick up the child at the daycare. Family disputes usually complicate these types of situations. The court system then has to decide when parents are unable or unwilling to solve it themselves.
Unregistered 07:54 PM 07-21-2008
I would applaud my provider for not letting you in to see your grandson or leave with him for god sakes. What if someone had been watching him and posed as you to get to him. This provider took the necessary steps to protect your grandson. There are tons of cases out there of kidnapping (parental kidnapping included) and they did the right thing. I have a daughter that is adopted and her natural mother knows we have her. She is also a drug addict and is unpredictable. Should she be able to go to my childs daycare and state that she is the mother and leave with her? Your situation is a domestic issue that is not the daycare providers problem. Take it to the courts where your son can fight for rights since in many states there are no grandparent rights.
Unregistered 06:44 PM 07-22-2008
[quote=Victoria;44]Would you be able to forward me any state laws that would govern how day care must handle visitors to children while in their care?

Every state might have different "laws!" In MN it IS like kidnapping-unless I hold a COURT ORDER in my hands-I can not withhold a child from anyone. If a person comes and is not on the contracted authorization-I call the parent and ask-that's all-for the safety of the child(ren)--grandparents, aunts, siblings, friends are welcome in my preschool/daycare-I have open door policy-I just ask that at naptime it is limited. Please understand that a provider has a great responsibility in keeping the child safe, and from harm. Personally, I'd just call the parent-if she says no-and doesn't have a court order-I can't comply with her wishes-that's all. Taking them FROM the premis is another story tho-if a mom signs with me ONLY on my contract-and doesn't have the father on authorization, then no-I don't let them go-VISIT -- yes-it's hard!!!!!!! Go online and do some research in your state-or call the childcare licensing department in your county--GOOD LUCK-- GRANDPARENTS do have rights too-- :-)
Tags:father, felon
Reply Up