Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
pfund2233's Avatar
pfund2233 pfund2233 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Exclamation It's All My Fault, Right....

I had a DCM call and leave a msg (I was busy) pretty much stating that she was having increased anxiety attacks due to MY new rules in my contract. And said she felt like I was personally attacking her. WHAT?!?! REALLY?!?! The stuff I changed was to better my daycare and benifit me and my family. Nothing against her at all. Here are the changes I made... (what is in RED is what is NEW)

Days/Hours of Operation:
Bright Beginnings daycare is open Monday to Friday only. Hours of operation will vary among parents as I only work the hours you have contracted me for. Parents must phone if they will be late in arriving or absent for the day. If you arrive late without a phone call, I may not be present when you do arrive with your child.
To ensure the safety of your child, only you or your designated “pick up person(s)” may pick up your child. Phoning me to let me know someone other than you or your other “pick up person” will be picking up your child is fine. Please be sure they have a photo ID if I don’t know the person picking up.
Verification of legal custody: I must have a copy of the court order recognizing the parent who has legal custody of the child, as well as visitation schedules. Otherwise I have no choice except to release the child to his/her parent.

Holidays & Vacations:
Holidays- daycare will be closed (you are NOT charged for these days):
New Year’s Day Memorial Day Independence Day
Labor Day Thanksgiving Day Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Vacations (yours)- as long as I have a 2 week notice in writing of your vacation you will not be charged for the time your child is absent.
Vacations (mine)- I allow myself 7 days for vacation and 5 days for personal time, both unpaid. I remit the right to take this time all at once or as little as half days. If I’m closed only half the day and your child is absent the whole day, you will still be charged for the time the child should have been in my care.

Rates: (I used to charge by the hour and only if they were with me and I was open 530-530 no contracted hours and well I would have kids here 12hrs every day and well I'm getting burnt out!)
Childcare is $25 per contracted day for 7-9.5 hours (contracted hours cannot exceed 9.5hrs per day per child) and $12.50 for any contracted day that is 6hrs or less. $25 per day pays for no more than 9.5hrs of care and $12.50 pays for no more than 6hrs of care per child per day. (See “Overtime” for days that are over allotted contracted hours.)

These fees will also be charged to hold the child’s spot when the child is not in daycare. You pay for your child’s spot not for when they are here. The only exceptions to not having to pay to hold your child’s spot or when they are not in daycare are as listed:

 A 2 week notice of a child’s absence (vacation/day off) is given to the provider in writing. There are scheduled absents forms on the bulletin board near the front door

 The child is not in attendance due to a family emergency (example: death in the family)

 Daycare is Closed by the provider. (my vacation, illness, emergency ect.)

If you are ever in doubt if a day is exempt of charges please ask. 


Overtime (they get paid overtime... why shouldn't I???)
There will be a $3.00 charge (per child) for every hour or portion thereof that your child is in my care earlier or later than their contracted hours that has been APPROVED by me. Meaning you, the parent, have given me written notice (the form is on the bulletin board) and I have approved the overtime prior to the day the extra hours are needed. I will try to be available as much as possible for any overtime parents might need.
Any early drop offs or late pick-ups that wasn’t approved will be charged a fee of $1.00 per minute.
Remember: It is important that you are punctual in picking up your child. If you are very late for drop off or pick-up please give me a call or text so I’m not worrying about you and your child. 

And I added a section about no food or drink from home. (she was ONE of the DCM always doing this... the other DCM that was doing this doesn't have an issue with this new rule)

This to much to ask of DCF???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 PM
pfund2233's Avatar
pfund2233 pfund2233 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Default

Wow!! 20 looks but no advice...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:45 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfund2233 View Post
I had a DCM call and leave a msg (I was busy) pretty much stating that she was having increased anxiety attacks due to MY new rules in my contract. And said she felt like I was personally attacking her.

This to much to ask of DCF???
Don't let her make her problems your problem.

And, no, it's not too much to ask.

Hang in there!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

I'm not trying to criticize, but a couple things jumped out at me right away.

One is the rate structure. If I'm bringing my kid there 7 hours and I want to save money, I would try to find a way to reduce it to 6 hours and save $12.50 per day. That's a HUGE difference. Also, where does 6 1/2 hours fall?

On the opposite end of that, if my kid is there 7 hours and I don't care about the money, and I'm one of those parents who needs "me" time, I'm going to find a good excuse to increase my hours to 9 1/2. You've revealed to me that it's the same price, so why not??? Basically, that one hour from 6 hrs to 7 hrs costs $12.50, but the TWO AND A HALF hours from 7 hrs to 9 1/2 hours is FREE. What I am saying is that I wouldn't tip my hand as much as you did in regards to HOW it is figured. I would just have a form letter saying, "I have decided to restructure my daycare rates to a new system of contracted hours. Your hours and rates are below." Then there would be blank lines for you to fill out in pen individually for each family.

There was (for my taste) too much information and explanation. I think the average parent would be confused by it and have to read it over a few times to get the gist of what you are saying.

Again, that's just MY little ol' opinion. I don't mean it to criticize you at all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Dahlia's Avatar
Dahlia Dahlia is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11
Default

If you'd like a parent perspective (I'm not a provider), my advice would be to smile, keep it professional, and spin it as a benefit (which it really is in the long run, IMO, she just doesn't understand that yet). Assure her that it's not just her and that your goal is to better everyone's daycare experience without raising everyone's prices. Tell her that clarifying policies like this (spelling out vacations, late fees, etc.) will make it easier for her to know exactly what's expected so there aren't any surprises and the perks are distributed fairly.

If she wants specifics, let her know how your policies are benefiting her and her kid(s). It's tough on her little Johnny when another kid brings a Pop-Tart and he doesn't have one. After so many hours in care, the kids start to get cranky and the Go-Bots start to fly and Johnny gets handed back off to Mom starving to death and wild as a goose. Sure, there are times things just can't be avoided, and you understand that (which is why you've worked it in), but it takes more of your attention and effort to do so, hence the charge for those services.

It's clearly for your benefit as well, she says? Of course! No DCP works for free (that isn't your mama) -- the rules, the vacation, etc. are all part of the 'package' that you have to consider when shopping around, which she's welcome to do. Based on the research you've done, though, these kinds of policies are fairly common.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

Personally, I wouldn't do too much explaining. She has commented she feels singled out....I would reply that I'm sorry she feels that way but this are changes to your business that you needed to make and there is nothing personal involved. If she continues to object or complain just keep repeating the same thing, "It's nothing personal. I'm sorry you feel that way. Did you want to submit a termination notice and look elsewhere for care that better meets your needs?" AND REPEAT.

I've been there with major contract changes and it's not the best experience. Parents DO take it personally even though it's not. I had one client who was horrible to me during the changeover but apologized and came around after about 4 weeks. You (IMO) just need to make them understand that although you can sympathize nothing is going to change with your contract and business. They will get it. Hang in there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 AM
pfund2233's Avatar
pfund2233 pfund2233 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
I'm not trying to criticize, but a couple things jumped out at me right away.

One is the rate structure. If I'm bringing my kid there 7 hours and I want to save money, I would try to find a way to reduce it to 6 hours and save $12.50 per day. That's a HUGE difference. Also, where does 6 1/2 hours fall?

On the opposite end of that, if my kid is there 7 hours and I don't care about the money, and I'm one of those parents who needs "me" time, I'm going to find a good excuse to increase my hours to 9 1/2. You've revealed to me that it's the same price, so why not??? Basically, that one hour from 6 hrs to 7 hrs costs $12.50, but the TWO AND A HALF hours from 7 hrs to 9 1/2 hours is FREE. What I am saying is that I wouldn't tip my hand as much as you did in regards to HOW it is figured. I would just have a form letter saying, "I have decided to restructure my daycare rates to a new system of contracted hours. Your hours and rates are below." Then there would be blank lines for you to fill out in pen individually for each family.

There was (for my taste) too much information and explanation. I think the average parent would be confused by it and have to read it over a few times to get the gist of what you are saying.

Again, that's just MY little ol' opinion. I don't mean it to criticize you at all.
Sometimes I have to spell it all out... my parents just don't get it. And I have all kids here 8.5 or more hrs or I have 2 kids 1 day each that are only here 5hrs. So I guess That's why I put it that way. Should I just do full time part time but not to exceed 9.5hrs full time and not to exceed 6hrs part time?? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 AM
pfund2233's Avatar
pfund2233 pfund2233 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Default

Thanks everyone for the help and words of encouragement. I'm gunna deal with this mom this morn so we will see how it goes. Thing that erks me is she is a business owner her self so I thought she would understand trying to make my business better not just for me but for everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

Her anxiety issues are not your issues. I think your new policies are reasonable. I do agree with Joyce, however, in that the difference in price between 6 hours and 7 is huge. You should get paid fairly for your time and effort.

Good luck, I hope that this Mom can be made to understand!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,414
Default

I still think you are undercharging for the part timers but.....don't explain or discuss the changes. Just keep saying that she is welcome to accept the changes or move on to a new daycare. If this situation is causing her so much anxiety, she is welcome to find a different daycare. Don't get sucked into her drama.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 AM
mommiesherie's Avatar
mommiesherie mommiesherie is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 161
Default

Wow she sounds like a nut! Lol I would just stick to my rules and not worry about stressing her out. I sure wouldn't let her stress you out. That's just crazy for her to even say to you!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfund2233 View Post
Sometimes I have to spell it all out... my parents just don't get it. And I have all kids here 8.5 or more hrs or I have 2 kids 1 day each that are only here 5hrs. So I guess That's why I put it that way. Should I just do full time part time but not to exceed 9.5hrs full time and not to exceed 6hrs part time?? Thanks for the help.
Part time care is ___ per hour, with ____ hours contracted, so your weekly total is _______.

Full time care is _________ per week.

Your family is scheduled to be here _________to _________ M-F. Additional hours may be arranged at a rate of _______ per hour.

I would make the hourly rate a little higher, and the weekly rate set at 35 of those hours. For example p/t is $3.57 per hour, weekly rate is $125.00.

...Just a suggestion....

Also, your handbook and contract do not have to be the same document. By that I mean, you contract should be individual for each family, contracting their individual terms. You can make a reference to your handbook, outlining general rules (for the entire group), and the parent acknowledges receiving the handbook dated ______ upon signing the contract. IF you are using children's photographs for advertising, you can also add a line there.

Does that make any sense?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
pfund2233's Avatar
pfund2233 pfund2233 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 161
Default

My little "meeting" with mom this morn went well. Thank god!! I simply told her anything that was revised in my handbook was by no means ment to be taken personal to anyone. I explained some things to her and why I did it (going from hourly to contracted hrs). She said she understood. We will see... I also told her if I caused her any greif I didn't mean to but I have to watch out for my business and family. She told me again she understood. She then proceeded to say that she was super nervouse to talk to me because she didn't want confrontation and was dealing with enough in her life. (Really? Who would have guessed, right.) She also said she was afraid to talk to me because she didn't want me to "kick her to the curb" because that would have been devistating and she loves bringing her son here. She must be really dealing with ALOT of stuff because I have always been super easy to talk to and considering this mom has knowen me since HS. I told her I know she has been threw alot in life and I understand as I have too but told her she has to becareful on the way she words somethings or approches some situations because I was shocked and upset she was blaming me for issues she was having. Again she said she understood, we had small talk for a few more minutes and she left as if it was any other morning.

Sometimes the parents are more exhasting than the kids!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfund2233 View Post
My little "meeting" with mom this morn went well. Thank god!! I simply told her anything that was revised in my handbook was by no means ment to be taken personal to anyone. I explained some things to her and why I did it (going from hourly to contracted hrs). She said she understood. We will see... I also told her if I caused her any greif I didn't mean to but I have to watch out for my business and family. She told me again she understood. She then proceeded to say that she was super nervouse to talk to me because she didn't want confrontation and was dealing with enough in her life. (Really? Who would have guessed, right.) She also said she was afraid to talk to me because she didn't want me to "kick her to the curb" because that would have been devistating and she loves bringing her son here. She must be really dealing with ALOT of stuff because I have always been super easy to talk to and considering this mom has knowen me since HS. I told her I know she has been threw alot in life and I understand as I have too but told her she has to becareful on the way she words somethings or approches some situations because I was shocked and upset she was blaming me for issues she was having. Again she said she understood, we had small talk for a few more minutes and she left as if it was any other morning.

Sometimes the parents are more exhasting than the kids!!
Good job!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
contract - revisions, holiday, hours of operation, overtime, parent - complains, parents - confrontational, rates, vacation policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It is ALWAYS the daycare lady's fault... sahm2three Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 12-08-2010 12:20 PM
Why Are We Always the First to Blame? melskids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 06-05-2010 01:39 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming