Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>S/O Another Vacation/Holiday Thread
legomom922 10:30 AM 11-12-2010
Do you ever feel guilty over getting paid vacations/sick days/holidays etc? Just wondered, because I do, LOL even though the only thing I get paid are the holidays. Like one of my clients who comes on m, th & fr, who is only here pt at 4-6 hrs a day and pays ft rate, will have to pay me $105 the week of thanksgiving for just being here one day...is that really fair? She already works 2 pt jobs and her hubby 1, just to make ends meet as it is, and I feel bad.. I wish I didnt, but I do. And knowing that clients have to pay me AND someone else too makes me feel bad..

Any suggestions on how I can get over this? or is this normal to feel this way?

I was reading on the other holiday thread and someone said that they have a a yr to plan for this, so I shouldnt feel bad..but i still do anyway..
laundrymom 10:34 AM 11-12-2010
dont feel bad, They agree to your policies when they sign up. What about the days you get their kids, and they are at home, relaxing, or get a trip to the store alone,.??? dont feel bad, we put up with and go through enough crap in this profession,.. we give up so much of ourselves to our clients,... we deserve it.
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 11-12-2010
The only holidays I charge (1/2 rate) for is one week in the summer and 1 week at Christmas time. When I close for Thanksgiving and Memorial Day etc, I don't charge. I USED to feel guilty but then I had a older, wiser provider who said to take my net yearly income and divide it by 51 weeks and then keep dividing down to you get to an approximate "hourly wage" for what you make as income....you won't feel bad any more. She was right. I don't feel bad any more because the parents already get some holidays where I do not charge and each family gets 6 to 10 absent/personal days per year also. I don't know if this formula will work for all but ya can try....either way I don't think you get over feeling bad, you just get better at ignoring the feeling.
QualiTcare 11:09 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Do you ever feel guilty over getting paid vacations/sick days/holidays etc? Just wondered, because I do, LOL even though the only thing I get paid are the holidays. Like one of my clients who comes on m, th & fr, who is only here pt at 4-6 hrs a day and pays ft rate, will have to pay me $105 the week of thanksgiving for just being here one day...is that really fair? She already works 2 pt jobs and her hubby 1, just to make ends meet as it is, and I feel bad.. I wish I didnt, but I do. And knowing that clients have to pay me AND someone else too makes me feel bad..

Any suggestions on how I can get over this? or is this normal to feel this way?

I was reading on the other holiday thread and someone said that they have a a yr to plan for this, so I shouldnt feel bad..but i still do anyway..
in general, the answer would be NO...but i agree that $105 for 4-6 hours of care is insanely expensive. maybe you could give her a break and consider it your random act of holiday kindness.
AnythingsPossible 12:14 PM 11-12-2010
I know mine is an unpopular point of view, but I do not like charging families for when they are not here. I know that it is my income and it is their spot, but on the flip side of that, when someone is missing, my day is easier and less hectic. I do not charge for vacations or holidays. When I first started I tried charging for those things, but always felt so guilty never actually charged it. For my comfort level in this business I prefer not to charge when they aren't here for vacations or holidays. I do charge 1/2 day rates for any normally scheduled day they aren't here. If grandma is in town and wants to watch them, or things of that nature. But no holiday charge. I also do not charge to hold spots over summer for teachers or for maternity leave, and yes it has been hard at times, but I also know if they will be gone for the summer and maternity leave isn't a big surprise, so I plan accordingly, cut back and try to save more before hand. But that's my choice for my comfort level.
Tags:holiday, vacation
Reply Up