Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Not Ready to Reopen
Mcphee3 11:58 AM 05-08-2020
Is there anyone out there who just feels like maybe we're pushing to reopen too quickly. I only have two kids that stayed with me...one of the DCP is watching conspiracy theory videos and is ready to just go right back out except she's afraid people will judge her. I want to wait until 2 weeks after there's been a steady decline and I'm nervous about them not taking any precautions. It's bad enough I don't agree with these people on how they live their life or parent I don't have a whole lot of faith in them... anyone else nervous?
Cat Herder 01:25 PM 05-08-2020
Daycare was declared essential on the first day here so I never closed. It hasn't really been difficult in any way.

I understand the fear, but the reality just has not been that.
e.j. 08:08 PM 05-08-2020
Based on what I'm seeing in the area I live, I'm a bit nervous, too. The county I live in is seeing a surge in cases, hospitalizations and deaths and the small town I live in has seen cases double each week for the past three weeks. The number of cases in my town is still relatively low compared to larger cities in the state but the fact that cases are doubling each week despite stay-at-home advisories and social distancing rules is concerning to me. I can only imagine how bad it could get if everything were to reopen now.

The governor here has allowed "essential" businesses to stay open and lately, there have been a few additional business that have been allowed to reopen but they have to follow strict protocols in order to do so. Before allowing a more general reopening, he wants to see a 2 week drop in hospitalizations and deaths which (I think) is what health experts recommend. I'm more comfortable with this way of doing things than an all out opening like other states have done.

Most day cares here are closed until June 29. Some people who are trying to get businesses to reopen sooner are also pushing to have day cares reopened, too, so working parents have somewhere to bring their kids. I hope EEC holds firm to not opening at least until the June date. Things like bleach, Lysol wipes, and other sanitizers are still hard to come by here as are paper towels, tp, gloves, masks and certain foods like rice, pasta, meat, canned goods, frozen veggies, etc. When they are available, many of them are being rationed. Trying to run a day care without some of those things makes me nervous, as well. I'll feel better reopening when I know I can buy the things that will help me keep my home/day care clean and sanitized as the kids return to my care.
dolores 05:09 AM 05-09-2020
I could've stayed open but have been closed since 3/16 as it took off like wildfire in my city and it's still bad here. And contrary to before, children have begun to contract and die from it. It was recently reported that a 5 yo boy died of it and a 7yo has died of what they are calling Multi-Symptom Inflammatory Syndrome which is linked to covid. There are over 70 such cases currently in my state. AND children can be infected and contagious for sometime before symptoms surface. I'm not ready to reopen either.
Valerie928 10:03 AM 05-09-2020
The only perfect time to open would be when everyone receives a vaccine. But, that won't be happening anytime soon.
Sunchimes 08:28 PM 05-10-2020
Because of my age, my doctor told me to close immediately. So, I did. I talked to licensing last week, and they told me to stay closed. The Open Texas handbook issued by the governor's office says that those over 65 should stay home and avoid small children. So, I don't see opening in my future any time soon.
bklsmum 06:32 AM 05-11-2020
I am with you entirely! I think it is way way way too soon to be opening. The country at large is still going up and no one has hit the CDC guidelines for reopening. I think we are going to end up locked back down sooner rather than later and next time it will be more widespread.
Cat Herder 06:58 AM 05-11-2020
Here, employers can begin replacing employees who don't return to work in two days. Unless the Governor extends again, which no one expects, parents will have to go back to work. Most places have been interviewing for a couple of weeks, now.
sammie 07:14 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Daycare was declared essential on the first day here so I never closed. It hasn't really been difficult in any way.

I understand the fear, but the reality just has not been that.
I agree.

I also never closed. All of my families, with the exception of one, have been still coming through this whole mess. I think it is time for people to be able to go back to work so they are able to support themselves and their families.
littlefriends 07:19 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I am with you entirely! I think it is way way way too soon to be opening. The country at large is still going up and no one has hit the CDC guidelines for reopening. I think we are going to end up locked back down sooner rather than later and next time it will be more widespread.
This is my thinking as well but my checking account says I need to reopen. This week most of mine are coming back so I am seriously upping my cleaning routine, staying crazy vigilant about watching for mouthing anything, not allowing anyone other than kids into the house, rotating toys, checking temps, and hoping for the best.
Tags:business management, covid-19 and daycare
Reply Up