Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Door Knobs
MsCare 11:15 AM 08-19-2019
Can anybody help me where to buy door knobs that are locked outside but kids can easily open from inside. Apparently its a requirement from the fire dept.
Cat Herder 02:04 PM 08-19-2019
Not a clue, never heard of it being a requirement.

Is this in your home?

I would see the bigger risk in kids getting out and not being able to get back in.
CountryRoads 02:31 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by MsCare:
Can anybody help me where to buy door knobs that are locked outside but kids can easily open from inside. Apparently its a requirement from the fire dept.
I'm required to have these, too.

We have the "Schlage Panic Proof" door knobs. I just keep one of those door knob cover things on the door going outside so I don't have any escapees
MsCare 02:58 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Is this in your home?

I would see the bigger risk in kids getting out and not being able to get back in.
yeah it is for my home day care facility the fireman who inspected our facility says I need to have these type of door knob.
MsCare 03:05 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I'm required to have these, too.

We have the "Schlage Panic Proof" door knobs. I just keep one of those door knob cover things on the door going outside so I don't have any escapees
HI Country Road

can you elaborate more on this??? I just keep one of those door knob cover things on the door going outside so I don't have any escapees
GHChildcare 03:10 PM 08-19-2019
Its a requirement for me in Louisiana as well, please advise.
Pestle 05:25 PM 08-19-2019
I was told by the fire inspector I have to keep my exterior doors unlocked at all times daycare kids are inside the house, unless I change my doors so they open from the inside while locked.

Absolutely no child-proof covers on the doorknobs. Escapees are not the concern--fatalities in a fire are the concern.
MsCare 05:29 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I was told by the fire inspector I have to keep my exterior doors unlocked at all times daycare kids are inside the house, unless I change my doors so they open from the inside while locked.

Absolutely no child-proof covers on the doorknobs. Escapees are not the concern--fatalities in a fire are the concern.
DO you have samples either from Amazon or Home Depot for me to grab this?
CountryRoads 05:43 AM 08-20-2019
HI Country Road

can you elaborate more on this??? I just keep one of those door knob cover things on the door going outside so I don't have any escapees
You can do a search for "door knob covers" on Amazon and find them right away. I also use them on a couple other doors where I don't want the kids having access to!

They work great for me!
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 08-20-2019

Is this in your home?

MN regulations state:

12. Locks and latches. Door locks and latches must meet the following guidelines:
A. a closet door latch must be made so that children can open the door from inside the closet;
§B. every bathroom door lock must permit opening of the locked door from the outside and the opening device must be readily accessible to all caregivers; and
C. double cylinder (key required both sides) locks on exit doors are prohibited.

So for us it just means that if we have locks on bedroom or bathroom doors, the children must be able to open them from the inside to prevent them from being locked in.
Cat Herder 06:03 AM 08-20-2019
I would not be ok with exterior doors that are not locked. I understand fire risk. I also understand supervision, smoke/fire detectors and security risk.

On interior doors, in rooms the kids use, I have removable foam (clip-on) door blocks that prevent them from closing completely. https://www.amazon.com/Protectors-Pr.../dp/B074QGLLWK

Blackcat31 06:20 AM 08-20-2019
I would not be ok with exterior doors that are not locked. I understand fire risk. I also understand supervision, smoke/fire detectors and security risk.

On interior doors, in rooms the kids use, I have removable foam (clip-on) door blocks that prevent them from closing completely. https://www.amazon.com/Protectors-Pr.../dp/B074QGLLWK
Exterior doors are different as the only requirement for them is that you don't need a key to open from the inside.

My exterior locks just have those little turn thingy's in the middle of the door.

"little turn thingy" is a correct term right?!?

Like this:
Attached: thumbnail_IMG_3358.jpg (110.1 KB) 
Cat Herder 08:17 AM 08-20-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Exterior doors are different as the only requirement for them is that you don't need a key to open from the inside.

My exterior locks just have those little turn thingy's in the middle of the door.

"little turn thingy" is a correct term right?!?

Like this:
That makes more sense. Little turny thingy is my technical term for it, too. I had some similar until my cat learned how to open them. He would hang on it and wiggle until it would swing open. Maine Coons, trouble I tell ya.
Annalee 09:27 AM 08-20-2019
I have doorknobs like BC's picture and my fire marshall allows me to lock them daily. But I have met providers across the state who have been told differently. Not sure what doorknobs they have but sometimes I think there is major inconsistencies in the child care world from state to state, county to county, and even between providers that live in the same city. Makes it hard to find a definitive answer leaving us at the mercy of whomever walks in and their perception of the rule
coloradoprovider 12:19 PM 08-20-2019
I wouldn't do daycare if my children could easily open a door and go out the front door! I keep my front door locked and the backdoor to my fenced yard unlocked. I believe that children running out to the front and in the street is more dangerous than them being trapped in a fire (since I do daytime childcare only and they are trained to go out the playroom door (backdoor).
MyAngels 12:23 PM 08-20-2019
I don't know what brand they are as they've been on my doors longer than I've owned my house, but my exterior knobs can be locked so you can't enter the house from the outside without a key, but they can still be opened from the inside, even when they are locked. It took us 6 months before we stopped locking ourselves out of the house after we moved in .

Sorry, not much help in your search, but they do exist (at least they did 25 years ago).
Michael 12:51 PM 08-20-2019
HI Country Road

The panic proof entry lockset is designed to provide a means for the residents to always open the door from the inside - even without the key. Turning the knob or handle will allow for a quick exit in the case of an emergency. ... So it can create an emergency situation.
hwichlaz 01:41 PM 08-20-2019
Single action knobs are required for fire clearance in Large Family Child Care Homes in California. It's stupid...you end up putting a gate around the door to keep the kids from using them, LOLOL. But whatever makes the fire marshal happy right? They are usually lever style knobs. If you look at the level knobs at lowe's or home depot you'll find that most of them fit the bill.
Tags:locked doors
Reply Up