Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Baby
284878 11:45 AM 03-02-2020
I have DCM that wants to start her new baby at 12ish weeks, I really don't want to but that is another story.

Anyways, I was wondering what requirements you have for new babies just in case I do start the baby.

I thinking things like sleeping unswaddled, taking a bottle, self-soothing......
rosieteddy 11:53 AM 03-02-2020
The only requirement you can truly control is Baby must take a bottle well before care starts.I would have mom come and feed child bottle at least once the week before start day.If child can not take a bottle it would be a no go for me.Baby will need constant holding.At 12 weeks there is no schedule .I have done it many times and that age is time consuming.You do have the benefit of training early ,its exhausting though.
Unregistered 11:53 AM 03-02-2020
For me they have to be able to take a bottle especially Breast fed infants. I'd require a certain amount of bm everyday and a few frozen bags as well.

If they co-sleep I won't take them.

If it's a baby that screams or you just can't put it down I wouldn't take it.

Making sure they supply you with enough diapers expecially if the cloth diaper.
Unregistered 11:55 AM 03-02-2020
For me they have to be able to take a bottle especially Breast fed infants. I'd require a certain amount of bm everyday and a few frozen bags as well.

If they co-sleep I won't take them.

If it's a baby that screams or you just can't put it down I wouldn't take it.

Making sure they supply you with enough diapers expecially if they cloth diaper.
jenboo 12:14 PM 03-02-2020
They must take a bottle no problem.
For me, everything else is more trial and error I guess. I have co sleeping babies that sleep great for me and other babies that are a struggle.

I encourage parents to sleep them on their backs in their own beds and give them plenty of floor time.

Regardless of what happens at home, if baby adjusts, I keep them. If baby can't hang, I term.
Jo123ABC 01:00 PM 03-02-2020
I don't really have official requirements at that age. It's trial and error for me. I'd probably say no if they couldn't take a bottle though. I also only sleep them in pack n plays on back. I do a sleep permission form for anything in the crib a parent wants limiting them to pacifier and one thin blanket. My state allows swaddling until an infant becomes mobile so I will allow swaddling until 3-4 months or whenever they start rolling. I usually don't use pacifiers and haven't had a problem with that even if they use them at home just because they're a pain and they're gross in a daycare setting. I don't say anything to parents about it though. Just a personal preference that doesn't really affect anyone in the end anyway. I start trying a sleep schedule at about 4 months. 9/9:30-10:30 in the am for nap. 1/1:30 to 3:30-4 in the pm however long they need in the pm but I will push at least 1.5-2 hour nap in the pm or I'll have a crabby baby at closing time. No one wants to have a baby fussing at pick up.
Valerie928 03:06 PM 03-02-2020
I just make sure they take a bottle. Other than that, I can usually get baby to cooperate as far as sleeping goes. Sometimes this takes awhile but it usually works out ok. I would not take on an overly needy, crying all day baby. This is not fair to my sanity or to the other kids in my care.
Ariana 08:46 AM 03-03-2020
6 week trial period to end care if baby is not properly prepared for daycare as well. Must be able to take bottle and sleep on their own.
AmyKidsCo 01:09 PM 03-03-2020
Definitely take a bottle. Also is used to sleeping alone on his/her back without blankets or stuffed animals. A plus is if baby can fall asleep independently, with minimal rocking/walking.
Tags:infant, newborn, newborn routine
Reply Up