Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Father's Day...
SilverSabre25 01:55 PM 05-10-2011
I am pretty sure (not positive...but like 90-95% sure) that my one dcb does not have a Dad involved in his life in any way. Not sure what to do about this with regards to Father's Day.

Granted, I kind of ignored Mother's Day (36 weeks pregnant...) and figure that I will just kind of ignore Father's Day too this year (new baby...somewhere in it's first 6 weeks of life). BUT--if I don't ignore it, and if this dcb is around next year...how does one handle that?
Meeko 02:31 PM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I am pretty sure (not positive...but like 90-95% sure) that my one dcb does not have a Dad involved in his life in any way. Not sure what to do about this with regards to Father's Day.

Granted, I kind of ignored Mother's Day (36 weeks pregnant...) and figure that I will just kind of ignore Father's Day too this year (new baby...somewhere in it's first 6 weeks of life). BUT--if I don't ignore it, and if this dcb is around next year...how does one handle that?
I make cards or gifts or whatever....but they just say Happy Fathers Day and not "Dad" or "Daddy" That way they can give it to a grandfather, uncle etc....
QualiTcare 02:31 PM 05-10-2011
find out if there's a grandfather or uncle that's active in the child's life. if there is then go ahead with the "happy father's day" slogan on the flower pot or whatever it is. i would tell the mom "i told him he could give it to his grandfather" so she knows you weren't being thoughtless.

if there's no male figure at all i would just say "father's day is coming up so if you want to make something for your father you can. OR you can make something for your mom, your sister, your grandma, your friend, etc."

i've always started out with, "mother's day is tomorrow. if you want to make something for your mom you can, or you can make something for your sister, your friend, etc." then i'd just make sure the kids who actually DO have a mom/dad in their lives aren't making a card for their sister or their best friend. that's been my only problem approaching it that way. i'd have a kid with two great parents trying to make something for their friend "suzy" and i'd have to redirect them.
kathiemarie 02:32 PM 05-10-2011
I have one who doesnt not have a dad in the picture. When we make our stuff I will have her make it for her gpa. Or you can just make a general type thing (something for either a mom or a dad) and that be that. I think today with blended families etc. its almost better to gloss over Mothers/fathers day.
E Daycare 11:30 AM 05-11-2011
My dck have both parents in their lives (one dad is starting to become mia but he still sees him from what I gather once a month or so) but I didnt have a mother growing up. What my brother and I did instead was make something for our dad on Mothers day too. Since he essentially was "mom" AND dad we showed appreciation both holidays. I still send my dad something on mother's day.

You could always make something for the mom. Im sure she'd appreciate the sentiment again.
GretasLittleFriends 01:59 PM 05-11-2011
I have one little guy whose mom isn't around. For mother's day I had him do the same hand-print butterfly everyone else did. I used the hand-print poem under the butterfly. Under the poem the children could choose to write "Happy Mother's Day". Since this child is only 2 and can't write, he just colored his, I then wrote his name and date on the bottom. His grandma picked him up, and I'm not sure if she kept it or gave it to dad.

For the kids who don't have one parent in their life you can just have them make the thing and not write happy mother/father's day on it. Or you could have the child give it to another female/male figure in their life.
daycare 02:04 PM 05-11-2011
my advice is that if you didnt do it for the moms DONT do it for the dads. you know us women can be caddy...lol jk

So two years ago this happened...I didnt even realize it was mothers day until the Friday before it came and by that time it was too late to do anything about it. I felt really bad but never said a word about it.. I did however send out a happy mother's day text to all the moms the day of.

Then fathers day came and the kids made picture cards that said number one dad. Not one but two of the moms got an attitude with me about the fact that i made the Dads seem more important than I did the mom's becuase I had a special day for fathers day art projects but not for mother's day....uuughghhhh well you know what they say. You can't please everyone... All that i am saying is that be prepared for some jealous moms to possibly say something...
Former Teacher 05:37 PM 05-11-2011
At my former center we always made a gift and just labeled it Love whoever
MsMe 06:35 PM 05-11-2011
I have a littel boy who was adopted and has a Mom and a " my katie" (basicly two Moms)

one drops off and the other picks up and are both very involved....they have never opened up as to why they are not both Mom (I have always wondered and NEVER asked!)

Ha makes one Mothers day gift and on fathers day he makes a Fathers day gift and takes it to his Uncle who he sometimes call his "Dad"

Mom and I talked in the begining that he has strong male influances in his life and everyone has agreed that if he would like to use "Dad" they are all fine with it. The uncle has agreed to play the role of "father" in his life when needed.

I agreee with other posters about just making a general gift and they can give it to whom ever they choose.
Unregistered 07:17 PM 05-17-2011
We had a little girl with 2 moms so on her Mothers Day project, we just labeled it "To Mommy & Mama" (what she calls them). Well, "Mommy" decided she wanted to leave her job and stay at home so they left our daycare (just last week!). It was good timing, I guess, as I didn't even think about what we would've done for Fathers Day..
Tags:fathers day
Reply Up