Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well drat. Time to up my rates I guess
Josiegirl 03:46 PM 08-01-2014
I got a call for daycare today and when she asked me my rates and I told her, she said that's cheaper than the other places she's called.
I just changed some of my rates such as upping the sibling rate and getting paid 52 weeks a year. I'm not sure if I dare to make too many changes so soon.
drseuss 03:48 PM 08-01-2014
Did you actually up your sibling rate, or simply do away with a sibling discount?
MarinaVanessa 03:52 PM 08-01-2014
If you're afraid of scaring off your current clients why not just up your rates for new clients?

In the new year you can raise the rates of your current families by a few bucks like $2-$5 a week and continue to increase your rates each year until you catch up with your new rates.
Josiegirl 04:00 PM 08-01-2014
Sibling rates-I was charging 105. for the 1st child, 80 for the 2nd. Now it's 105 and 90.

I have no idea what my rates should be? If mine are so low, why am I not getting tons of calls?
I will change them for new clients, that's a good idea. Trouble is, I've gotten 2 calls this week and quoted them both my current rates. I'm meeting with 1 family on Sunday. After telling them it's 105 I can't exactly go back and say 'oops, changed my mind' can I?

Thanks for your advice! I've said it before but it needs repeating, I don't know what I'd do without this place.
SignMeUp 04:08 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Sibling rates-I was charging 105. for the 1st child, 80 for the 2nd. Now it's 105 and 90.

I have no idea what my rates should be? If mine are so low, why am I not getting tons of calls?
I will change them for new clients, that's a good idea. Trouble is, I've gotten 2 calls this week and quoted them both my current rates. I'm meeting with 1 family on Sunday. After telling them it's 105 I can't exactly go back and say 'oops, changed my mind' can I?

Thanks for your advice! I've said it before but it needs repeating, I don't know what I'd do without this place.
Could you say something like, "My current rates are $XX per week. I will be raising on Sept 1/Dec 1/Jan 1 (this can be whenever you feel comfortable with) to $XX per week." (Or alternatively don't give a set raise - give an estimate)
SignMeUp 04:09 PM 08-01-2014
You could also consider dropping the sibling discount for future families.
rosieteddy 06:10 PM 08-01-2014
My daycare friend always asks parents after they inquire about sibling discounts "do you ask for a discount on the second happy meal at Mcdonals"?
AmyKidsCo 06:30 PM 08-01-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
My daycare friend always asks parents after they inquire about sibling discounts "do you ask for a discount on the second happy meal at Mcdonals"?

Scribbles 08:44 AM 08-03-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I read someone here said "siblings do not get discounted care so there is no discount on rates" or something like that so I put that in my policies and not a single family with more than one child has ever asked about a sibling discount.
Reply Up