Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quitting The Rating System
Melissa67 01:46 PM 04-06-2016
I started the training last year,then family issues came up and I stopped, while I was going to the classes,I just felt after doing this for 20 yrs, only taking 4 kids, I just wasn't feeling all the things they wanted us to do.If I was just starting,I would embrace it. Have anyone here opt out and what was the consequence, if any? just wondering
Annalee 03:11 PM 04-06-2016
Originally Posted by Melissa67:
I started the training last year,then family issues came up and I stopped, while I was going to the classes,I just felt after doing this for 20 yrs, only taking 4 kids, I just wasn't feeling all the things they wanted us to do.If I was just starting,I would embrace it. Have anyone here opt out and what was the consequence, if any? just wondering
If your state allows you to opt out I would take advantage of that. Usually it only affects your program if you have subsidy paid clients. My state does not allow providers to opt out. If we are licensed we have to go through the QRIS rating system/report card. Good luck to you!
grandmom 03:17 PM 04-06-2016
Annalee

What state? I'm curious how they added it to the rules. Thanks.
Cat Herder 03:25 PM 04-06-2016
I tried to opt out and was pressured heavily to participate.

I had 3 inspections in under 30 days then almost every 6 weeks thereafter when I first declined.

4 different outside agencies (think collections level phone call frequency) calling my home to "offer resources" , "discuss participation" and "solicit my opinion" about participating.

I have had one visit since completing the program. I still won't accept subsidy or participate in the food program. Those phone calls are starting now....
Melissa67 05:12 PM 04-06-2016
they claim it will be mandatory by 2017,we will see, when that time come,they can have my license, with a red bow on it
Leigh 06:05 PM 04-06-2016
they claim it will be mandatory by 2017,we will see, when that time come,they can have my license, with a red bow on it
That's exactly how I feel.
AmyKidsCo 06:06 PM 04-06-2016
In WI we can opt out, but then we can't accept any families on assistance. I'm going through accreditation and would automatically receive a 5 star rating in our system once I'm accredited but haven't decided whether I'm going to participate or not. I don't know how hard it might be to stop participating once I start. The only way I'd participate is through accreditation.
Annalee 06:41 PM 04-06-2016
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Annalee

What state? I'm curious how they added it to the rules. Thanks.
Tennessee and it is a law. It would take legislation to get it removed so it is NOT going away. Became law in 2001.
Annalee 06:44 PM 04-06-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I tried to opt out and was pressured heavily to participate.

I had 3 inspections in under 30 days then almost every 6 weeks thereafter when I first declined.

4 different outside agencies (think collections level phone call frequency) calling my home to "offer resources" , "discuss participation" and "solicit my opinion" about participating.

I have had one visit since completing the program. I still won't accept subsidy or participate in the food program. Those phone calls are starting now....
We got pulled in with grants, free college courses, etc. which was wonderful because some of us obtained degrees but now we are left hanging. We were told the program would be voluntary, but look where we are 15 years later....having report card with a mandated 4-6 hour assessment every year with countless visits from several agencies annually.
Annalee 06:46 PM 04-06-2016
Been there, said that and here I still am....I have invested over 20 years of my life to FCC and over 30 years to child care industry, in general....it is who I am and what I want to be but I can't imagine opening a child care program from the ground up. FCC is slowly diminishing. Our state had over 3000 family child care homes in 2001, today we have 712. FCC is becoming extinct and that infuriates me.
Annalee 06:50 PM 04-06-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
In WI we can opt out, but then we can't accept any families on assistance. I'm going through accreditation and would automatically receive a 5 star rating in our system once I'm accredited but haven't decided whether I'm going to participate or not. I don't know how hard it might be to stop participating once I start. The only way I'd participate is through accreditation.
In my state, all weight of the components is on the assessment score. We can be Nationally accredited, have an ECE degree, and all kinds of training, but if we do not score a certain point, all is for naught. THAT IS WRONG! And yes, it has been fought for years but it is in the law so it is NOT going away!

FWIW, I score well, but it becomes a game and you decide to play or not.
LysesKids 07:24 PM 04-06-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
In my state, all weight of the components is on the assessment score. We can be Nationally accredited, have an ECE degree, and all kinds of training, but if we do not score a certain point, all is for naught. THAT IS WRONG! And yes, it has been fought for years but it is in the law so it is NOT going away!

FWIW, I score well, but it becomes a game and you decide to play or not.
Even if I move to a different home, I will stay legally licensed exempt in this state just because of QRIS... because I work with infants I would still be limited to 4 kids, so what is the difference? I get paid almost as much as the 2 licensed homes in my county - one is small group, the other large and I don't take subsidy although I have been cleared to accept it. TN does not pay enough in subsidy except to the Centers so jumping the hoops is worthless as far as I am concerned. (They haven't upped subsidy pay here in years).
Annalee 07:36 PM 04-06-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Even if I move to a different home, I will stay legally licensed exempt in this state just because of QRIS... because I work with infants I would still be limited to 4 kids, so what is the difference? I get paid almost as much as the 2 licensed homes in my county - one is small group, the other large and I don't take subsidy although I have been cleared to accept it. TN does not pay enough in subsidy except to the Centers so jumping the hoops is worthless as far as I am concerned. (They haven't upped subsidy pay here in years).
They are not upping subsidy pay this year either, but they are looking at ways to regulate/find unlicensed providers. You operate legally but a large percent simply dropped their license and still keep the same amount of kids AND are on the food program counting these kids as "related". That is NOT fair to those operating legally. There is a huge push to find these providers. Not sure how this is all going to work. Right now, those that are unlicensed but keep subsidy paid children will have to become licensed by 2017???? But I will not believe this until I actually see it take place. There are many things I am awaiting news about after the June 30 end to the fiscal year!
MissAnn 07:45 PM 04-06-2016
Been there, said that and here I still am....I have invested over 20 years of my life to FCC and over 30 years to child care industry, in general....it is who I am and what I want to be but I can't imagine opening a child care program from the ground up. FCC is slowly diminishing. Our state had over 3000 family child care homes in 2001, today we have 712. FCC is becoming extinct and that infuriates me.
Do you feel the majority left because of assessment? I feel it's a huge factor.
Annalee 07:52 PM 04-06-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Do you feel the majority left because of assessment? I feel it's a huge factor.
Yes. I think that is the number one reason. Assessment is the most stressful thing I do to have a family child care. It is unrealistic and causes undue hardship. I wait several weeks after scheduling, then when I complete it I wait weeks for my score so this is up to three months of agony. I score well but I feel it is an unfair process. My annual report card that will define me for a year is based on a four to six hour assessment by someone that knows nothing about me nor what I stand for. That is unfair.
LysesKids 07:52 PM 04-06-2016
They are not upping subsidy pay this year either, but they are looking at ways to regulate/find unlicensed providers. You operate legally but a large percent simply dropped their license and still keep the same amount of kids AND are on the food program counting these kids as "related". That is NOT fair to those operating legally. There is a huge push to find these providers. Not sure how this is all going to work. Right now, those that are unlicensed but keep subsidy paid children will have to become licensed by 2017???? But I will not believe this until I actually see it take place. There are many things I am awaiting news about after the June 30 end to the fiscal year!
Oh I know a few in my area claiming to be licensed or certified and they take 7 or more (on the food program too), but they are running illegal... they forget ( or don't know) how easy it is to look up on the state site.

I actually turned one in because she was operating out of an apt a mile from here and she had 8 kids at a time. Unless Blount county approves it, she will never get licensed and those apts are the pits lol. She swore up & down she was legal but she's still not licensed lol.

I found her only because I was looking for other places to send my aging out 18 month old kids to a new place that was close to me... yeah, not happening with at least 4providers I have talked too. I love to connect with legally running people, but I steer my families clear of the illegal ones. My reputation is on the line and I don't want something happening to my babies
MissAnn 05:56 AM 04-07-2016
Yes. I think that is the number one reason. Assessment is the most stressful thing I do to have a family child care. It is unrealistic and causes undue hardship. I wait several weeks after scheduling, then when I complete it I wait weeks for my score so this is up to three months of agony. I score well but I feel it is an unfair process. My annual report card that will define me for a year is based on a four to six hour assessment by someone that knows nothing about me nor what I stand for. That is unfair.
My soft area last year scored the highest. This year I was discounted and there are no changes except for a different assessor. This year she said that I had stuffed animals beside the area instead of stuffed animal sitting right on top of area. If I have their soft space covered with stuffed animals where do the kids sit? Last year my thick cushion was fine, this year it was discounted.
Annalee 06:14 AM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
My soft area last year scored the highest. This year I was discounted and there are no changes except for a different assessor. This year she said that I had stuffed animals beside the area instead of stuffed animal sitting right on top of area. If I have their soft space covered with stuffed animals where do the kids sit? Last year my thick cushion was fine, this year it was discounted.
This is my number one complaint. Our assessment is left too much to the perception of an assessor. There are many assessors so there is NO way to prepare. The entire QRIS process is flawed. If they equalized the weight of each component where the assessment did not dictate my "grade", I might feel a "little" better about the process?
Melissa67 06:32 AM 04-07-2016
msAnn,that's the crazy things I am talking about,more work for us and the parents don't give a rats behind about this stuff.it's rediculous
sammie 07:51 AM 04-07-2016
Hi Melissa - I am in CO also. I have been licensed for 4 years, I don't participate....and don't have any plans to. Most of the providers in my area don't participate and the ones I know personally don't want to either. I haven't seen many consequences yet....that may change though as they continue to try to shove it down our throats. I hadn't yet heard about it being mandatory by 2017.
Rainbowmom 03:46 PM 04-07-2016
I'm in Colorado as well. I will ignore it until I can't anymore, and then I will close my doors. I refuse to have the state have more control over my business than they already do. Which is plenty.
Tags:qris, quality, rating system, ratings, star program, stars program
Reply Up