Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Running A DC Really That Bad?
Christina72684 08:04 PM 06-03-2011
I'm new to all of this, and while I LOVE this forum, it seems like A LOT of people are ranting, raving, and complaining. I went to school to become an elementary school teacher and was in the schools for 2 years, so I know how frustrating it can be to work with kids. However, there seems like A LOT of negativity around here.

Are there positives too? Is it worth opening? I'm really nervous already about owning my own business and all the worries that come with it. I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head and regretting it in the near future.

Please reassure me that there are more positives than negatives. I open Monday so hopefully some word of encouragement will help calm my nerves!
Christian Mother 08:17 PM 06-03-2011
Of course...really with any time of job. There's the good and bad....You have to find first the love and joy in what you do but with every love and joy there is the opposites. I am like you and went to school for Early Childhood Education. I worked at a Christian school for 5 yrs, was a Nanny for 5 yrs and then I went on to having children of my own and then opening my own daycare. This is a safe place to be able to speak to other like minded people going through the same things. We look to each other to help us out bc really,...we are the only ones that understand. I am sure our spouses are there to help lend a ear and shoulder but it's from this sight that I can get that much needed encouragement or help. I find this sight very educational. Good luck honey!! And know that we will always be there here to listen or let you vent, or laugh...cry...we all share together.
daycare 08:26 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Of course...really with any time of job. There's the good and bad....You have to find first the love and joy in what you do but with every love and joy there is the opposites. I am like you and went to school for Early Childhood Education. I worked at a Christian school for 5 yrs, was a Nanny for 5 yrs and then I went on to having children of my own and then opening my own daycare. This is a safe place to be able to speak to other like minded people going through the same things. We look to each other to help us out bc really,...we are the only ones that understand. I am sure our spouses are there to help lend a ear and shoulder but it's from this sight that I can get that much needed encouragement or help. I find this sight very educational. Good luck honey!! And know that we will always be there here to listen or let you vent, or laugh...cry...we all share together.
Well said Christan Mother....

Just like every job, it has it pros and cons.... I love what I do here at my daycare with the kids and would not trade it for the world. Of course just like every other job as well, sometimes you end up working with people you find out you really don't like....AND I don't mean the kids....

Where else can you work that no matter what you look like, what you say, how you talk or how much money you have, at the end of the day your lilttle people will always love you. Where else can you work that you can work with someone who will throw a fit, laugh,cry and scream all in a matter of seconds and you will still love each other when its over. I love my DC and I would say you just need to know what your doing before going into it. DOn't go in blind, have your contracts, policies and what not planned out ahead of time.....Best of luck to you!!

Honestly, I wish I could just do DC without the parents...But they come as a package deal, you can't have one with out the other......
ammama 08:39 PM 06-03-2011
I love doing daycare. It is a relief to be able to vent to people who know what it is like about the little day to day annoyances (or more!), but overall, I love my job, and that I can raise my own children while doing it.
PitterPatter 09:13 PM 06-03-2011
Like any job there is good and bad. It's just that when the bad happens it seems worse to me because it happens in my own home so I feel more disrespected. I love doing daycare from home! It has many rewards. I do see your point there seems to be negativity here but we have to vent somewhere. Due to the privacy policies I can't really vent to friends and family as they would know who i am complaining about (90% of the time the parents) So I love this forum to help get ideas on how to manage certain issues.

I have only been in the biz 5 years so I am still learning. People here have been there done that so I bring my issues here. I guess when I have a great day I should post that as well but when I have a great day I don't need advise. Maybe we should start sharing more of the positive things.

I say if u love kids go for it, u won't regret it! Those people who get into it for the money or just to stay at home probably wouldn't be happy. U have to really enjoy children to do this job and be good at it. Anyone can watch a child but it takes love and respect to actually nourish them and help them grow and learn. THAT is where I get the real rewards! Seeing all of my hard work blossom in these kids!

I hope the negative things won't deter u. Good luck!
MommyMuffin 04:32 AM 06-04-2011
Whenever I have a problem or an issue, I think...Hmmm I wonder what my fellow dc providers would think or do. From anything to child development to curriculum and lots of times to difficult situations or stresses of my job.

That may be why it seems lots of it is negative, but its just reality. This job is hard. But there are so many positives and that is why so many of us do daycare.

Good luck! Congrats on opening. I have only been open for 7 months and it has been a little difficult but I really love it at the same time.

I have wonderful parents and some pretty good kids too! For me its mostly logistics and working with multiple age groups.
Luna 04:47 AM 06-04-2011
I will repeat what others have said...there are positives and there are negatives. When things are good, for the most part we just carry on and enjoy it. When we hit a snag or need to vent, we come here & let it out. That's why a lot of what you read here seems negative, maybe we aren't sharing the good times as often as the bad.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do
KEG123 05:31 AM 06-04-2011
Definitely positives and negatives, as with any job. LUckily I don't have many negatives as I've just started, but I can see where frustration would come into play for certain things. And think of it this way, at a "regular" job, you can vent to your co-workers. In a daycare providers case, you have no co-workers to complain to. SO this forum has become a place where we can vent if we need to.
nannyde 06:06 AM 06-04-2011
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I'm new to all of this, and while I LOVE this forum, it seems like A LOT of people are ranting, raving, and complaining. I went to school to become an elementary school teacher and was in the schools for 2 years, so I know how frustrating it can be to work with kids. However, there seems like A LOT of negativity around here.

Are there positives too? Is it worth opening? I'm really nervous already about owning my own business and all the worries that come with it. I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head and regretting it in the near future.

Please reassure me that there are more positives than negatives. I open Monday so hopefully some word of encouragement will help calm my nerves!
Do you have an elementary education degree?
DCMom 06:13 AM 06-04-2011
Yes, there are more positives than negatives! I have been doing this for over 20 years and for the most part I have enjoyed it.

Good Luck with your new daycare!
kidkair 06:30 AM 06-04-2011

The ranting, raving, and complaining is seen here a lot because it's when things go wrong that we grow and learn. We learn from mistakes so much more than from normal good free flowing fun. We analyze what went wrong so we can keep it from happening again. It's nature. I for one try to post things going correct too though it feels a little like bragging when every other post is about a bad day.

Here's my typical day percentages as I see them: 10% extreme fun (laughing; above and beyond positive attitudes), 85-86% fun/quiet/good/well behaved behaviors, 4% correcting/guiding behaviors, 0-1% vent worthy. Quite typically that 1% is an attitude in the kid that I have seen in the parent or the parent themselves. Lately that vent worthy part has been 0% for me because I have two great families and my greatest complaint right now are perspective clients who call and set up interviews then don't show or call. The other bunch show for interviews and then take paperwork but never return it or call again. Honestly it's the parents before and after signing the contract that are the hardest to deal with. I love the dc parents I have right now and wouldn't trade them for the world but, just like your best of friends, they will let you down occasionally.

Learn to stick to what you want, stick to your rules, demand respect and show it in return, blow bubbles, and vent on here to keep negativity from eating at you!
MyAngels 06:32 AM 06-04-2011
Just remember that most people won't start a thread on any message board unless they are looking for an answer to a question or a problem - hence what some see as "negativity." Once you start reading through the replies, that's when you get to see the collective wit, professionalism, positivity, etc. of the business owners participating at any given time in this forum.

I feel like I am very fortunate to have owned my own in-home daycare for 19 years now. I love being able to be provide a safe and loving environment for parents who, for whatever reason, cannot be home with their children. I've had a few "problem parents" but they never lasted long here, as I never hesitate to let them know how I will run my business, which causes them to either shape up or ship out .

Good luck with your business, and if you run into any type of problem or question, don't hesitate to post here. You will get plenty of helpful insight!
kimsdaycare 09:00 AM 06-04-2011
I absolutely love what I do! I had a wonderful career that I loved before daycare and took a leave of absence when I lost my provider due to a temporary relocation for her husband. My co-workers were shocked. I was always the one in the office that said even if I won the lottery, I was showing up to work lol. Another mom and myself split up this providers children and decided to keep them til she came back to the area.

This was supposed to be for 1 year.
It's now been 12 and I never went back. Oh, They kept asking when I was going to come back to my "real" job. They gave up after about 3 1/2 years

My co-workers are 2-3 year olds. They don't judge my outfits or my hair. I get to play with bugs, wear pajamas on snow days and have the most awesome families a provider could ask for. They even gift me with adult beverages on special occasions tee hee.

You see venting on these forums because it is very isolating when the burden of a work related issue is on your shoulders alone. Providers come here out of a need to get it out and seek advice. Because we have no HR department, and our spouses really don't want that role most of the time.

It would be nice to hear people posting about their sunshine and rainbow days more often, but honestly I think we all tend to post mostly questions or advice or just offer up moral support. If my world is at peace, you won't see me posting that it is. I'm too busy enjoying it
e.j. 10:26 AM 06-04-2011
I think you need to put things in perspective. Yes, when you read the messages on this board, it seems as though there's a lot of ranting, raving and complaining. You have to keep some things in mind, though.

According to the information provided at the bottom of the forum page, there are almost 2,000 active members. Multiply that by the number of parents and kids each of those active members deal with for 4-7 days a week for 8-12(?) hours per day. Given those numbers, there's a pretty good chance that miscommunication, personality differences and frustration is going to happen between some providers and families, right? Now keep in mind that there are far more than 2000 providers in the US, Canada and elsewhere and the number of "negative" posts shouldn't seem quite so intimidating.

Also keep in mind that in general, people don't talk nearly as often about the positive in their lives as much as they do about the negative - regardless of their job. The postive is easy to deal with, it's the negative we often need help with - whether we're just blowing off steam or seeking advice on how to change things so they become a positive.

Like any job, child care has its ups and downs. I've been in business for 15 years and it's been mostly a positve experience. I have run into very few problem families but when I have, it has been helpful to know that I'm not the only one who gets upset about certain things like non-payment, no calls/no shows, disregard for my policies, etc. It helps to be able to talk to others who do the same job and "get" it. It also helps me to read about what other providers are experiencing with their problem familes because it really does make me truly appreciate the good families I have enrolled in my day care. Some of those other familes would make me crazy!

Good luck on Monday. I hope your experience in the child care business is a positve one, too!
Unregistered 11:06 AM 06-04-2011
You would think so by reading this board, wouldn't you? It's led me to believe that home daycare providers are the most negative, disrespectful people on the planet. The way they talk about the children they care for and their parents is appalling!
QualiTcare 03:06 PM 06-04-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Do you have an elementary education degree?
i was wondering the same thing. usually when someone has a degree they will say it bluntly, but if not it's "i went to school to be a ______" and most people won't realize they only WENT - they didn't finish and work as a (fill in the blank).
LittleD 05:36 PM 06-04-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You would think so by reading this board, wouldn't you? It's led me to believe that home daycare providers are the most negative, disrespectful people on the planet. The way they talk about the children they care for and their parents is appalling!
If the shoe fits...
Christina72684 07:31 PM 06-04-2011
Yes I have an elementary education degree. I tried for 2 years to get a job, but then had my daughter 3 months ago, which lead me to deciding to open my 0wn daycare.
youretooloud 07:46 PM 06-04-2011
It totally depends on the clients you have.

At one time in my career I had the WORST clients. I loved, loved, loved my job.. I was excited every day! But, some of the parents were nightmares.

Now, I'm less enthusiastic, but still love it. However, I seriously have the best clients ever! I appreciate these parents so much.

I needed a backbone, and I needed to learn what kind of parent I want to work with. It's best to work with people who have similar parenting styles.
PitterPatter 08:06 PM 06-04-2011
Ok that's just rude and ignorant to make such a blanket statement like that! I happen to adore my daycare kids I have had in care and I go above and beyond the call of duty so to speak! If u search back I am the one who has been used and abused by not only some DCMs but a couple children as well! I would love to have u come and take my place for a day or 2 and see how u like some of the things I have encountered!

Are u a registered member just hiding or are u just trolling to piss people off?

And since u claim home daycare providers are the most negative... what are u? Provider or parent? We are the most negative, disrespectful people on the planet huh... Hello pot, YOU'RE black!
Unregistered 01:51 AM 06-05-2011
I see, so it is alright for providers to make blanket statements and assumptions about parents but no one can call providers out on it. There are a few members here who are so holier-than-thou and could stand to be taken down a peg. I'm sick of the attitude that providers are better for the kids than their own parents.
Vesta 05:55 AM 06-05-2011
I see, so it is alright for providers to make blanket statements and assumptions about parents but no one can call providers out on it. There are a few members here who are so holier-than-thou and could stand to be taken down a peg. I'm sick of the attitude that providers are better for the kids than their own parents.
Occasionally I have to get on to some of the children in my group for certain misbehaviors. I will usually make a blanket statement of "we need to be eating our food, not playing with it", or "let's all use our inside voices".
This is usually followed up with little grunts or sour faces from the children who were using their inside voices or just chowing down on their food.
I then have to remind them that if they were doing what they were supposed to be doing not to worry about it. I wasn't talking to them. Thanks for doing what you were supposed to do.

If you're not doing the same thing as the parents the providers are complaining about, don't worry about it. They're not talking about you.
kidkair 06:06 AM 06-05-2011
There are many of us who believe that the children are better off with their parents which leads to complaining when the kid is dropped off and the parent goes back home for the day. Some of us even offer discounts for early pick up times to encourage the parents to spend time with their kid on a daily basis. We spend so much effort raising these children that it pains us when they come in with an attitude or behavior that we don't like and know they got it from their parents.

That said it's sad to say that many of us really are better for the kids. We are educated in child needs and are forced to follow strict safety guidelines. We love the children and spend enormous amount of time with them. There are threads that list mild neglect caused by the parents some times due to lack of knowledge in raising kids but often because the parents do not want to deal with raising a kid. Many of us push for these parents to correct their behavior toward the child and in the mean time with clean the kid up and move on with our day constantly watching the child for signs of serious neglect and abuse. It breaks our hearts to see a child unloved by their parents and we shower them with what we have so that their day may still be a happy one.

A great deal of parents who use daycare are ones who got pregnant by mistake and haven't a clue how to raise children. If they are open to learning we can help them out but many aren't open to advise and shut our suggestions out. Yes these are blanket statements but they fit the clientele we are currently faced with on a daily basis.

The wonderful parents out there are currently staying home with their kid and raising them away from daycare. The wonderful parents I have in my daycare would love to spend every minute with their kid but need to work instead. We have our disagreements and the kids act differently at home then here but that is life.

We focus on the bad so we can right it. There's no need to fixate on the good because you can't fix what is not broken. I love that so many parents are able to stay at home with their kids.

Each of us is different and there is no perfect way to raise children but we are trying to make today wonderful for all the kids in our care so that tomorrow will be even better.
nannyde 06:12 AM 06-05-2011
I'm sick of the attitude that providers are better for the kids than their own parents.
I'm not better for my day care kids than their parents. I've never said anything like that. In fact, I'm pretty picky about making sure that the parents I work with have substantial DAILY awake time with their parents so that me being better for the kids doesn't happen.

I don't provide care to parents who want me to be better for the kids. That is a huge problem with this society. It's very difficult to find parents who don't want that.

Now I don't believe parents can decide what is best for their child in MY care. I have to decide that. I'm the one responsible for every decision and responsible for the well being and happiness of myself, my son, my staff assistant, and the other children. I'm also required to follow govermental rules and regs AND best practice standards as I determine what is best. A parent isn't able to make decisions for their child for any decision that could affect the others or comprimise my ability to follow the rules. A parent doesn't get to make decisions that make me unhappy and comprimise my ability to continue the business week after week... year after year. A parent doesn't get to make decisions that will affect my money .. specifically services that are not built into the fee structure of the services.

It's best to find providers who agree with what you want for your child. That's the parents job. If your provider isn't providing the care you want then YOU have to find the one who does. It's not personal. It's not being the boss of the provider. It's understanding that she offers a service and you decide if you would like to use the services SHE decides to offer.
Unregistered 06:53 AM 06-05-2011
I SO agree with this . Glad someone FINALLY said it.
Kaddidle Care 10:32 AM 06-05-2011
Ahh - I see it's the weekend again.

To the original OP - you have to weigh the pros and cons - list them if you need. You have to do what works for you. If your children are young, a Home Daycare situation may be best for you. One advantage is that it's your home, your rules and you are free to pick and choose your clients.

I never had a contract with the parents of the children I watched. The first child was a school age that was unruly and didn't mind me well. It didn't work out well so I termed. 2nd child was a dream - I treated her like my own and had a ball. Her parents were much more on the same page as me and we meshed well - we are still friends/neighbors 14 years later. I also took on a Kindergartener who arrived around 8:00 and we had lunch together before she went off on the bus with my oldest. Her Mom was home at the end of the school day. She was another dream.

Then years later I stupidly volunteered to watch one of my son's friends after school until Mom picked up FOR FREE - it didn't work out. The first time she was late she called to say her meeting ran late. After that, she didn't even call when running late and made me late or miss things that I had planned for the evening. My son also got tired of his "friend" breaking his toys and laughing. The other boy is just not right in the head so again, I termed.

I like working in a Center better. I tend to be timid (lack backbone?) about enforcing things with parents and at the center we have a director that deals with these things. I don't open or close so I don't have to deal with early birds or late parents. It's pretty darned good! Pay isn't so hot but oh well, they work around the hours that I can work. It is a different world though.

Sorry for the book.
Mom_of_two 01:22 PM 06-05-2011
I have had different experiences- I have never worked with a family that is not close, involved, etc etc. I feel like I am a very small part of the puzzle- they like me and my service, but they are wonderful parents who just happen to work outside the home. In all of my families (three at a time) the mom and dad are both involved. Starting to think I have been very lucky! Maybe the town or area? Not sure. Daycare is a stressful job like many other jobs at some point in the day or another- but it is also wonderful. Just like other jobs, if it isn't for you it isn't for you, though.
cheerfuldom 02:00 PM 06-05-2011
My experience has been that most of the parents have A LOT of opinions on what they want done but have no idea on how to get there and no patience/tolerance/commitment to do it themselves. High standards for what I should be able to do but not the same standard for themselves. They don't want me to replace them, just do the hard work of training/teaching/etc their kid so they can reap the benefits. I have gotten better and better at finding better families to work with but I still see this a lot. They want me to potty train, wean from various items, get their kid to nap/behave/eat or whatever.
Live and Learn 02:41 PM 06-05-2011
it seems like A LOT of people are ranting, raving, and complaining. I went to school to become an elementary school teacher and was in the schools for 2 years, so I know how frustrating it can be to work with kids.
In my own experience I have loved this job and the children that I have cared for.

Over the years I think I have become less tolerant of the parents though.

I think most providers who have done this work for at least a few years have probably had a parent try to pass off a sick kid or some other little disrespectful "trick." After awhile this can wear on your nerves.

I love all my lil dc kiddies but sometimes the parents can be a bit of a chore. I just don't think the parents realize that the world doesn't revolve around them and their needs sometimes.....or so it would seems by their sometimes outrageous requests and assumptions.

I think for the most part when you read this forum you will find providers venting and ranting mostly about the parents and not the lil kiddos.

Keep in mind this forum is a safe place for us to rant and rave to people who truly have been there and done that!!!

This forum has been a blessing for my hubbie who doesn't have to shoulder the burden of listening to me carry on about the parents.

In the end it is all about respect.
Good luck.
wdmmom 07:21 PM 06-05-2011
I think the unregistered guests on here are one and the same trying to make it sound like there are others that agree.

Each and everyday is new and you can make it what ever you want it to be. However, sometimes you encounter cranky kids and disrespectful parents or those that have blatent disregard for the rules and regulations you have set forth.

Sometimes you are fortunate to get a great group of kids and wonderful families.

I've never suggested that I'm a better solution for my DCK's than their parents. In fact, being on this forum, I don't think I've ever read a post that said anything like that.

If you are wanting to start a daycare, go for it. Give it some time...you'll have a rant or a rave on here too eventually. No job is ever perfect.
morgan24 04:54 AM 06-06-2011

I think there are a lot of positives. I treat this like a job that I'm doing from 7:00 to 4:00. Getting housework done is a bonus, I try to make the time to do it during the day, if I don't get to it I don't sweat it. One thing that I do that has really helped me is if I have an issue with the parents I let them know the first time it happens instead of letting it build up.

I love kids, everything about the under 4 age group is my favorite. I quit doing school age children 10 years ago. I found that age just didn't work for me. I think finding what works for you to keep your day working smoothly is what you are going to do.

Even after doing care for 17 years, sometimes I need fresh ideas on how to handle a situation(believe me they still come up) and what is great about this forum are the diverse opinions and ideas. No matter what the issue is someone on here usually has an idea or suggestion about what can help.

Good luck on your opening and on building a great business that will be worth it.
Sunshine44 05:33 AM 06-06-2011
No, I do not think it is 'that bad'. Like others have said, it has its good and bad days. I love being able to stay home with my children and care for other little ones too. It's nice on the good days. The bad days are usually because of the parents. Sadly many parents don't seem to care about a lot of things. I think the same stuff happens over and over again, parent disrepecting rules, bringing kids sick, etc...when the same thing happens over and over, people get tired of it quickly. I know it may seem little to an outsider, but when you have parents constantly doing rude things or not following rules, it brings you down. So, that is my take on the negativity.

Other than that, the days are fun (mostly) and I love the kids.
mrs.meg 05:50 AM 06-06-2011
It is like any other job, there are good and bad days. Personally, 20 years ago I could have possibly done this job and been happy. We have this culture now that the kids are the parents and parents are the kids. I will say that the children I have kept over the years, it is kind of like they are born of royalty. There is nothing that they do not get or have done for them. They do not have to wait and their parents are like servants, for the most part. The children are out of control because they are not being parented, the parents want to be their friends. So, when the kid's parents are not around, I do actually enjoy the kids a lot of the time.

It makes the job more difficult because I spend lots of time teaching very basic manners and and trying to keep them from tearing my house down.

This is just my own experience and I am quitting in August.
dEHmom 06:57 AM 06-06-2011
As with anything, you're more likely to hear the bad than the good.

Companies with good products will mostly only hear feedback, comments, etc when they are complaints. that's life.

A lot of people come to the forum and chat basically, but when we're having a rough day, and we post, it comes off a lot worse. But we all come here for advice and support for these situations.

And for the majority of it, we complain about the parents, not the kids themselves haha.
momma2girls 07:38 AM 06-06-2011
After providing daycare for just about 8 yrs. now, you live and learn.
At first I let things slide, but they more you let things slide, the worst off it will be. You are nice to parents, and let it slide, then they want more and more, until finally you say STOP!!!!!
Then you have the parents that are very disrespectful to you and your family, your house, your daycare, etc. etc...
Then you have the parents that want you to change things, just for them!
Then you have the parents that are always dropping off early, and arriving late.
Then you have the parents that will lie and say things to you, that you know are not true.
Then you have the parents, that could care less to be with their child on vac. or any days they have off.
Then you have the parents that want you to be them!
Then you have the parents that can't pay you, write back checks, etc..
Then you have the parents, that expect you to do things like they do at home, and they want you to do the same at daycare.
THe list goes on and on and on.............
Crystal 07:46 AM 06-06-2011
To the OP, yes it is a GREAT job and there are many, many aspects that make the good outweigh the bad. After 14 years in this business, I have to say that I could not be happier with my career choice and all of the wonderful benefits it has allowed me.

As far as the ranting, raving and complaining here, I do agree with you. It seems that more often than not, providers on this site complian rather than share the joyous moments and discuss the pros of this business. It can certainly be a turn off for parents, as well as for new providers who end up thinking they are making the wrong choice about going into this business.
dEHmom 08:02 AM 06-06-2011
What it comes down to, is when you start off, be firm, consistent and professional.

If you want respect, you must give respect. For the parents who don't give 2 poops, you put them in their place professionally, and advise that you won't stand for that type of disrespect.

Once you get going, you will be able to build your business on your referrals, starting out can be harder because some parents either are TOO PROTECTIVE of their children, or on the other end of the pole you can get the parents who don't give a damn, and they have the worst children.

you need to make sure that everyday, when you wake up for childcare, you are enjoying what you are doing, and if you are dreading certain kids, you will not be happy, and you must let those kids go.

ALWAYS do a 2 week trial period where either party can choose to end the commitment.

If you don't already have a policy book, you should get one, and create contracts that you can adjust should you need to for different families.
Sunshine44 08:07 AM 06-06-2011
I totally agree with one poster who said if you are waking up in the mornings dreading a certain kid to let them go. It does make a huge difference. I know money wise, everyone can't just let people go...but once I got rid of a certain kid my life has been tons easier and I enjoy things again!
momma2girls 08:41 AM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
I totally agree with one poster who said if you are waking up in the mornings dreading a certain kid to let them go. It does make a huge difference. I know money wise, everyone can't just let people go...but once I got rid of a certain kid my life has been tons easier and I enjoy things again!
I agree with you. There are children as well, that you just dread coming thru the door. I have had seperation, stranger anxiety, along with colicy babies, and ones that just plain are bad!!! I have great parents now, but it hasn't been like that for very long. Then you also have parents that you never know what they are going to ask, or complain about next.
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 06-06-2011
The key to happiness in this profession is directly related to the types of families you choose to take on as clients. Each provider has a specific set of things that are acceptable and not acceptable in terms of behavior for both the parents and the child. Finding families that work best with you and your set of beliefs is what will determine how much you like or dislike your job.

I will use Nannyde as an example. You never see posts on this forum by her in which she vents about the behavior of either a child or a parent. The reason for this (IMHO) is that she has developed a great interview process in which it allows her to identify those families that can and do abide by her policies. She does not accept families into her care that are not willing to abide by the rules and policies she has put in place. She seems to have a rather lengthy interview process that allows her to fully disclose to parents how things will be done in her business as well as learn how a family functions in regard to their child.

By setting the ground rules early on so that BOTH parties (parent and provider) fully understand what the expectations and obligations are, will more than likely guarantee a great working relationship. It seems to eliminate any issues or problems that most providers vent about. For some, it takes years to develop this kind of communication skills and backbone strength and for others it comes naturally.

It is much like a marriage, in my opinion. What is cute at first may become an annoyance later so knowing clearly what is expected by every party involved (provider, parent and child) is the key to happiness for running a successful childcare business. It is also vital to have a good system for communication. Giving out a message, memo, note or policy handbook is only one part of communicating effectively. Making sure that every party involved understands the message is the other part, and in most cases the most important part.
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:37 AM 06-06-2011
Perhaps you are one of those parents that let's your child do as they please, no rules ect, and then you unleash your kid on us, ane WE have to deal with YOUR bad parenting. Walk a mile in our shoes for a week, then tell us if you like the way you have parented your child.
dEHmom 10:00 AM 06-06-2011
we've all been around here long enough....we've all had to deal with THOSE parents who deserve the blankets......

we always brag about our GOOD parents. And sadly, there are ALOT of parents out there who truly just don't parent and don't care to. It's sad for some of these children, who only have us daycare providers as the only constant in their life.

It's not EVERY parent who is horrible, and we come here to the forum to

1) Explain the situation (which comes off as a vent because usually we're still in the heat of the moment and seeking IMMEDIATE advice
2) Get the feedback, advice, comments
3) Be able to be proactive and deal with the situation at hand IMMEDIATELY so that we don't ever have to look back and say, I handled that wrongly, I shouldn't have done that.

This forum is what SAVES us, and helps us be better people. Not just some person who watches kids, and in sticky situations be proactive instead of reactive.
We are friends, we truly care about the others on this forum. Even though we don't see each others faces, we can come here and chat with our fellow coworkers with our cups of coffee, learn, laugh, cry, and better ourselves.

Before you unregistered posters decide to pipe in with rudeness and arrogance, before you read simply 1 or 2 posts on a thread and come to the conclusion that we are heartless people, keep on and read more. You will see on every single thread, that the "vent" is just a description of the situation, so others can understand what exactly is going on, so they can simply better help us find a solution.
Unregistered 10:17 AM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by awpotter:
Perhaps you are one of those parents that let's your child do as they please, no rules ect, and then you unleash your kid on us, ane WE have to deal with YOUR bad parenting. Walk a mile in our shoes for a week, then tell us if you like the way you have parented your child.
No, I most definitely am not. Which is why I take offense to the nasty, hateful things that are said and assumed about daycare parents. How would you like it if I asked you if you were one of those providers who let's the kids watch TV all day so you can smoke cigarettes and surf the 'net?
Sunshine44 10:35 AM 06-06-2011
Until you are a childcare provider, you will never fully understand. I have apologized to my child's first childcare provider (I went back to work the first year before doing this). I truly did not understand what her issue was, and I'm guessing many parents are the same. Until you do it yourself, you do not understand. So, these unregistered guests are going to keep saying negative things because they do not understand. I'm so thankful to have found this place to vent, share and meet people who DO understand.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:47 AM 06-06-2011
No, I most definitely am not. Which is why I take offense to the nasty, hateful things that are said and assumed about daycare parents. How would you like it if I asked you if you were one of those providers who let's the kids watch TV all day so you can smoke cigarettes and surf the 'net?
Well Im not one of THOSE providers, and you may not be one of THOSE parents, but they are out there and I feel we have a right to B@$%^ about them when we have a hand in raising their kids. If you dont like it why are you on this forum reading it all? Dont like it , dont read it.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:53 AM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Ok that's just rude and ignorant to make such a blanket statement like that! I happen to adore my daycare kids I have had in care and I go above and beyond the call of duty so to speak! If u search back I am the one who has been used and abused by not only some DCMs but a couple children as well! I would love to have u come and take my place for a day or 2 and see how u like some of the things I have encountered!

Are u a registered member just hiding or are u just trolling to piss people off?

And since u claim home daycare providers are the most negative... what are u? Provider or parent? We are the most negative, disrespectful people on the planet huh... Hello pot, YOU'RE black!
Exactly!!!
NiNi.R. 10:59 AM 06-06-2011
I love my job! There are days that can be pretty rough but all in all I can't picture myself doing anything else. I will say to do this job you have to be tough. You need lots of endurance and patience. It is a must that you keep things as professional as possible with the parents and always discuss an issue at first opportunity.

This site may have a lot of negative threads but it's the negative threads I have learned from. I have learned a lot in the short time I have been reading. It is so nice to have the availability of different providers opinions and advice right at my finger tips.
AfterSchoolMom 02:24 PM 06-06-2011
I really love what I do, but I have done probably more than my fair share of venting here this year. Do I think that ALL parents behave the way some of my awful ones do? No. Do I have some really great families? Yes! Do I come here for advice and to let off steam when my awful parents do or say something disrespectful? YES!!!

This is a forum, and while there is a space for advertising daycare (isn't there?), it's not right here. There will be good and bad. We could definitely talk more about the good, happy things that happen (there ARE several threads dedicated to these things, one of which I started myself), and maybe we should. However, I think that we have a right to have a place to vent where there are other people who have walked a mile in our shoes and where we can support each other with advice, sympathy, or even sometimes a well needed virtual kick-in-the-pants! Personally, this forum is my outlet. If anyone has a problem with my venting posts, they're welcome to move along and read something else.
Unregistered 02:55 PM 06-14-2011
YES!!!!!!

I rue the day I started this job. It cannot be over soon enough.
littlemissmuffet 03:32 PM 06-14-2011
YES!!!!!!

I rue the day I started this job. It cannot be over soon enough.

I hope it's done SOON, because I most definitely would not want my children being cared for on a daily basis with someone who is seemingly so bitter about doing it...
I know childcare can be difficult and frustrating - but it is difficult and frustrating for the poor children who have to "deal" with an unhappy provider.
daycare 04:00 PM 06-14-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I really love what I do, but I have done probably more than my fair share of venting here this year. Do I think that ALL parents behave the way some of my awful ones do? No. Do I have some really great families? Yes! Do I come here for advice and to let off steam when my awful parents do or say something disrespectful? YES!!!

This is a forum, and while there is a space for advertising daycare (isn't there?), it's not right here. There will be good and bad. We could definitely talk more about the good, happy things that happen (there ARE several threads dedicated to these things, one of which I started myself), and maybe we should. However, I think that we have a right to have a place to vent where there are other people who have walked a mile in our shoes and where we can support each other with advice, sympathy, or even sometimes a well needed virtual kick-in-the-pants! Personally, this forum is my outlet. If anyone has a problem with my venting posts, they're welcome to move along and read something else.
go girl you tell them!! without this site, I might be divorced by now..... lol

Actually I think a lot of us would be.....my husband hated hearing about all of my venting.....but now I have some where to go and vent and people understand...........
Meeko 04:50 PM 06-14-2011
To "Unregistered" who thinks we are all so negative....

You seem to be of the impression that all parents are like you and love their kids and are good to them and that we complain for the sake of complaining and think we raise the kids better than their own parents can.

Before replying to this thread...I took a long look at the kids enrolled in my day care to make sure I was counting right...16 kids were here today.

Out of that 16...only three have parents who are together (and they are siblings) All the others are from broken homes.

Three have single parents who are single due to circumstances beyond their control (death etc)

My heart sank as I realized a terrible truth. ALL the rest are here for one reason only. This is blunt...but they are all here because their mothers could not keep their legs together. They are ALL mistakes. None were planned. Over the years I have picked this up from words right out of their mother's mouths. The product of one night stands or born to high schoolers who think having a baby was going to be like owning a puppy. Two of the children in my care are nothing more than a bigger check from the state for their mother.....not my opinion, but admitted to openly by her.

More kids = bigger welfare check.

Not all the parents are bad business clients, but they are certainly not good parents. I know they love their kids.....but they do not know how to parent and really don't want to. Their children are thrust through my door as soon as they can dump them here and not picked up until the last second. They want to spend as little time and effort on them as they can. The only place a majority those kids get CONSISTANT love and nurturing is HERE WITH ME.

Now I have also had fantastic clients over the years who are exceptional parents. But sadly, the norm is now unwed mothers and such.

I am afraid you are living in la-la land if you think that all parents love and care for their kids. Those kind sadly seem to be the minority nowadays. Anyone can have sex and make a baby. Doesn't make them decent parents.

Kudos to you if you are a good and loving and involved parent. There needs to be more.

But you have not walked in the shoes of a day care provider. You have NO IDEA of the things we put up with sometimes.

I love and adore my day care kids. I could never do anything else for a living. Caring for them is my calling in life and I will do it as long as I can. But yes....I get on here and vent my heart out sometimes. Maybe you have never had someone stand in your own living room and disrespect you and your family and your home. It's tough. So we come here to unload.

We are not the negative, nasty people you think we are. I have actually felt so loved here. I have received private messages from very sweet people who have given me strength and support as well as openly here on the forum.

It's not negative here. It's the opposite. It's warm and friendly and a chance to "meet" others who know exactly where I am coming from and let me know I am not alone if I have a problem.

THANKS LADIES......I LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOU ALL.
BusyBee 06:18 PM 06-14-2011
Some days it is really hard but it helps to know that we are not alone. The positives are definitely there, too! This board is helpful for many reasons!
Tags:daycare blues
Reply Up