Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 year old dcg can't transition to nap mat
midaycare 10:31 AM 08-15-2014
I have a just-turned 2 year old dcg who can not transition to a nap mat. I have a huge pack and play for her, which she loves, but she sees all of her friends on nap mats and wants one, too. And I agree - it's time.

She's a tiny girl, so she can fit in an infant pack and play! As I am typing this, she is moving non-stop on the floor. She is arranging and re-arranging her blanket. Moving her nap mat. Up down, up down, up down, up down. Rolling over. I have her right next to me, because she wants to be as close to me as possible. I can literally touch her nap mat. There she goes - up again! I keep telling her she needs to be quiet and settle down, but she just can't. Now she's rearranging her blanket again. Yesterday she did this for an hour before I finally took her in the craft room to make crafts and play playdough. What can I do with her? She is still in need of naps, and now refuses to go back in the pack and play.
KidGrind 11:11 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have a just-turned 2 year old dcg who can not transition to a nap mat. I have a huge pack and play for her, which she loves, but she sees all of her friends on nap mats and wants one, too. And I agree - it's time.

She's a tiny girl, so she can fit in an infant pack and play! As I am typing this, she is moving non-stop on the floor. She is arranging and re-arranging her blanket. Moving her nap mat. Up down, up down, up down, up down. Rolling over. I have her right next to me, because she wants to be as close to me as possible. I can literally touch her nap mat. There she goes - up again! I keep telling her she needs to be quiet and settle down, but she just can't. Now she's rearranging her blanket again. Yesterday she did this for an hour before I finally took her in the craft room to make crafts and play playdough. What can I do with her? She is still in need of naps, and now refuses to go back in the pack and play.
Once I get the mat veterans down, I sit next to the newbie. They can fidget quietly. They can sit up. I sit there and don’t say a word reading a book or magazine. Once they completely crawl, roll or get off the mat. I place them right back down on the mat and say, “Quiet time.” I don’t say anything else and go back to my book. 30 seconds later, I do the same thing. I keep repeating until they understand they need to stay on their mat.

I get tired. Even so, I promise they’re more tired then me by the end of our session. It has worked for me.
midaycare 11:12 AM 08-15-2014
Dcg finally fell asleep after an hour - but not on the nap mat. I spend nap time on a beanbag on the floor, watching over the kiddos. She scooted herself next to me and has her head against the beanbag, my leg.

Help people! I can't do this every day. I have an infant starting on Monday
Rockgirl 11:23 AM 08-15-2014
I'd position her mat next to something, like a couch or wall, so she's not out in the open. I use a blanket big enough to tuck snugly under the sides of the mat, so she's tucked in really well. Then I'd sit beside her with my hand on her back. If she starts to fidget, tell her it's time to rest. You'll have to tell her repeatedly. She'll get there!
melilley 11:25 AM 08-15-2014
Sorry hon, but KidGrind is right and the only thing that is probably going to work is to do what she said. Repetition is key and in my experience, it may take a long time for her to get used to it, but they eventually (usually) do.
melilley 11:25 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by when is naptime?:
I'd position her mat next to something, like a couch or wall, so she's not out in the open. I use a blanket big enough to tuck snugly under the sides of the mat, so she's tucked in really well. Then I'd sit beside her with my hand on her back. If she starts to fidget, tell her it's time to rest. You'll have to tell her repeatedly. She'll get there!

drseuss 11:27 AM 08-15-2014
Good answer!
ColorfulSunburst 11:49 AM 08-15-2014
I try to make them tired before the NAP ...
As a result I have wishes to fall asleep the every nap time
The children just fall asleep during the first minutes of the nap time.
Baby Beluga 12:21 PM 08-15-2014
I agree with placing her against a barrier like a wall or shelf so she is not totally out in the open.

Is it possible that she is having a hard time calming down mentally and psychically and the arranging and rearranging is her way of trying to work through that? Kinda like when we go to bed but we toss and turn until we tire ourselves out.
midaycare 12:35 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I agree with placing her against a barrier like a wall or shelf so she is not totally out in the open.

Is it possible that she is having a hard time calming down mentally and psychically and the arranging and rearranging is her way of trying to work through that? Kinda like when we go to bed but we toss and turn until we tire ourselves out.
She does usually take at least 10 minutes to fall asleep in the pack and play. My others are out in 2 minutes flat.
midaycare 12:57 PM 08-15-2014
I think this is good advice!
Heidi 01:24 PM 08-15-2014
I've made "forts" for my new-to-mat kids. They usually love having a fort to sleep in. Or, if you have a pop-up tent, you could try that. I used to have one that looked like a school-bus, and fit over a baby/toddler mattress.

I've also used super-gates around them occasionally. After a couple days, I've opened one end, but by then they are used to staying on the mat. Then, I eventually get rid of it.

You can always give her a chance, and if she doesn't stay put, move her to the pnp. Sleeping with your friends is an earned privilege. Unless she climbs out.
Cat Herder 01:45 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:

2 year old dcg

she sees all of her friends on nap mats and wants one, too. And I agree - it's time.

She is still in need of naps, and now refuses to go back in the pack and play.
I do this with 1yo's.

She does not get to refuse. She either lays on her mat like a big girl or she goes back into her PNP like a little girl. Her choice. Rewards are earned.

Rinse/repeat.

Now, if she were not able to have the PNP as an option (filled by infant) then I repeat what everyone else is telling you. Except with NO words at all. Put her back, walk away casually. No words, no eye contact, no stress. Just an unspoken fact, you lay on mat now. (also we are not allowed to tuck the blankets under the mattress/mat. It is considered a restraint)
Rockgirl 01:56 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I do this with 1yo's.

She does not get to refuse. She either lays on her mat like a big girl or she goes back into her PNP like a little girl. Her choice. Rewards are earned.

Rinse/repeat.

Now, if she were not able to have the PNP as an option (filled by infant) then I repeat what everyone else is telling you. Except with NO words at all. Put her back, walk away casually. No words, no eye contact, no stress. Just an unspoken fact, you lay on mat now. (also we are not allowed to tuck the blankets under the mattress/mat. It is considered a restraint)
I hope we never get that regulation here. I think being tucked in makes them feel secure. They can move--it's not a straight jacket! Lol
Rockgirl 02:01 PM 08-15-2014
If you're not allowed to tuck, I'd use a heavier blanket. Mine use them anyway.... I keep my playroom a little on the cool side at naptime, so a heavier blanket feels better. I also darken the room (I can see everyone), and use a white noise machine. I challenge anyone to stay awake in there!
AmyKidsCo 03:35 PM 08-15-2014
I transition from PnP to nap mat by first using just the PnP mattress on the floor where the PnP was. If the child won't stay on the mattress try putting a "boundary" around the mattress on the floor. (Furniture, empty shoe boxes, etc.) If that doesn't work I put the PnP up again for a couple of weeks.

Once the child stays on the PnP mattress I switch to a nap mat in the exact same place as the PnP was. Then after a couple of weeks I'll move the nap mat if needed.

I wonder if your dcg would do better with LESS attention... could she be fidgeting to get/keep your attention??
Shell 04:37 PM 08-15-2014
Agree with above. Each child requires a different level of supervision depending on their temperament. If it is an easy going kid, I sit nearby with my phone and don't say a word- just give the "look" and they stay down. More rambunctious Kids require me sitting right by them, often times with a hand gently on them the whole time until they fall asleep. I always reading, and I don't make eye contact ( even when they let out some cute little giggle). My mentality is that a kid that age will sleep, and I don't really give them any other choice- they catch on quickly. Now, I've got a new 3.5 yr old that has had his back rubbed daily since he was an infant at a center daycare- if he's not rubbed, he makes siren noises all nap time- I cannot believe the daycare let it go on this long, and now it's my challenge to break
midaycare 05:03 PM 08-15-2014
So many options, which one to try, hmmm... Although they are all similar, so hopefully something works with her.

I think I will try putting her farther away from me. Then I will try my best to ignore her, but I do that already. I may also try to box her in somehow.
Kabob 06:09 PM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Once I get the mat veterans down, I sit next to the newbie. They can fidget quietly. They can sit up. I sit there and don’t say a word reading a book or magazine. Once they completely crawl, roll or get off the mat. I place them right back down on the mat and say, “Quiet time.” I don’t say anything else and go back to my book. 30 seconds later, I do the same thing. I keep repeating until they understand they need to stay on their mat.

I get tired. Even so, I promise they’re more tired then me by the end of our session. It has worked for me.

I do the same thing. It has worked for me from day 1. I don't make a big deal out of it and avoid eye contact and sound as calm and monotone as possible. They may wiggle all they want as long as they stay on their mat and are quiet...unfortunately for them, I am more persistent than they are...usually after the first 5 minutes they give in and sleep...
Reply Up