Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Been in College Full-Time While Doing Daycare Full-Time?
permanentvacation 11:12 AM 08-20-2014
This became longer than I meant for it to.

Some personal history info that you would need to take into consideration regarding this: I am 42 years old. I had a mini-stroke a few years ago and because of that, I need a longer time than average to comprehend and retain what I read. When I had my stroke, I was misdiagnosed and by the time I was properly diagnosed, it was too late for physical therapy. The doctor told me to try to help myself by using my brain as much as possible in ways that I didn't typically use it. She suggested puzzles, brain games, reading, learning new things/hobbies/interests. I did little things for a while and then tried one college class per semester for two semesters. Then I went two semesters part-time and did just fine. I have made great progress, but I still comprehend, process, and retain new information slower than I should. So I am nervous about going full-time and I am required to keep a C in each class. All of my classes are online through the local community college. With them being online, I can 'attend class' any time of the day or night.

I enrolled (again) in full-time college (classes start this coming Wednesday)and have daycare kids full time. I say again because I was enrolled last spring full-time while doing daycare. But not too long after school started, my daughter was having a lot of trouble with kids harassing her in her high school so I quit doing my college work and focused on her. So I didn't really get a taste of doing college full-time while daycare full-time.

Now, since I failed all of those classes, I am on a warning from FASFA. I have to make a C in each class so I can continue to get FASFA next semester and so they don't make me pay all the money back!

My sister - who recently finished her A.A. Degree in Accounting (which is what I am also going for) keeps suggesting that I quit doing daycare and focus completely on my school work so I can keep my grades up. I am just worried that I will need the extra money (I'm already a broke single mother) from doing daycare. I did apply for a grant, but have not been approved or received it yet. I am nervous that it won't be enough and am afraid financially to completely quit daycare.

So, have any of you been a full-time college student while doing daycare full-time? If so, were you able to keep your grades up? How long did you need to spend on your school work? How much sleep did you average per night? Would you think it is doable by someone like me (from my description above)?

Sorry this got so long and thanks for your advice, opinions, and suggestions.
Annalee 11:20 AM 08-20-2014
While working toward my degree I took 6-9 hours per semester including the summer....most were online though....just proctored exams on campus! Good luck!
Angelsj 12:11 PM 08-20-2014
Yes. The key is time management. NO TIME should be unplanned. That doesn't mean you cannot enjoy yourself ever, but that time should be planned.
For the last three years, I have gone to college full time (12-15 credits per semester), run a daycare full time, and run an animal rescue operation and home schooled my children (two now, but three up to last year.)
I just graduated with an RN and a child development degree. And maintained a 4.0 average. You can do whatever you set your mind to do.

Keys:
1. Plan every minute. From knowing exactly how much sleep you need to get, to knowing how much study time you need. And take the occasional break time too.
2. Know your limits. If you are too tired every day to study (yes 1-2 hours EVERY single day and 6 or so on the weekend days), change something. Take fewer kids, shorten your hours, whatever you need to do.
3. Study every single day. If you decide to have some family time, fine, but that should be scheduled. Not spontaneous. I know that sounds harsh, but it is too easy to fall into the "I just don't feel like it today" trap.
4. If you need help, get it early. Don't struggle with your class for weeks, then ask for help at mid semester.
5. When you are done studying for the day, be done. Plan to do something YOU like every day. Even if that means a half hour show, or a hot bath, a glass of wine or a piece of chocolate. Whatever that is, reward yourself daily. You work hard, you need a little bit for you.

Once you get in the swing, you will do fine. Get the balance, and you can do it.
melilley 12:11 PM 08-20-2014
I only went part time, but worked full time at a center and also was basically a single parent to dd who was an infant/toddler at the time.

It took me a while to receive my AS, but I did it and am glad. Maybe try going full time for one semester to see how it goes. If it's too much then try going p/t for a semester and see whether going f/t or p/t is more beneficial for you. You can still get grants/loans for going to college p/t.
Annalee 12:12 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Yes. The key is time management. NO TIME should be unplanned. That doesn't mean you cannot enjoy yourself ever, but that time should be planned.
For the last three years, I have gone to college full time (12-15 credits per semester), run a daycare full time, and run an animal rescue operation and home schooled my children (two now, but three up to last year.)
I just graduated with an RN and a child development degree. And maintained a 4.0 average. You can do whatever you set your mind to do.

Keys:
1. Plan every minute. From knowing exactly how much sleep you need to get, to knowing how much study time you need. And take the occasional break time too.
2. Know your limits. If you are too tired every day to study (yes 1-2 hours EVERY single day and 6 or so on the weekend days), change something. Take fewer kids, shorten your hours, whatever you need to do.
3. Study every single day. If you decide to have some family time, fine, but that should be scheduled. Not spontaneous. I know that sounds harsh, but it is too easy to fall into the "I just don't feel like it today" trap.
4. If you need help, get it early. Don't struggle with your class for weeks, then ask for help at mid semester.
5. When you are done studying for the day, be done. Plan to do something YOU like every day. Even if that means a half hour show, or a hot bath, a glass of wine or a piece of chocolate. Whatever that is, reward yourself daily. You work hard, you need a little bit for you.

Once you get in the swing, you will do fine. Get the balance, and you can do it.
TIME MANAGEMENT!!!!!!
melilley 12:13 PM 08-20-2014

Keys:

Wow, that's awesome!

OP, I would also suggest mixing hard classes with easier classes each semester if possible.
GKJNIGMN 01:07 PM 08-20-2014
I agree with time management and doing some easier and some harder classes each semester.

I didn't do it while I was doing daycare but I got my bachelor's degree while working full time 40-60 hours a week depending on the season and I was a single parent. You need to plan your time very well and ask for help when you need it. My mom used to stop over every few weeks to help me catch up on laundry and cleaning.

It is possible but it will be very hard work. The nice part is, when you are done you feel like you have a ton of free time lol
cara041083 01:11 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
While working toward my degree I took 6-9 hours per semester including the summer....most were online though....just proctored exams on campus! Good luck!
Same here Nap time was my best friend for school work.
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:

Keys:

TIME MANAGEMENT!!!!!!
I agree with this. Time management is the key.

I earned my Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education while working full time.

I did homework in the evenings, weekends and nap time when possible.

I would LOVE to be a career college student so I am uber focused and motivated when it comes to classes so I took 14-16 credits each semester and finished in less than time than most.

Like Angelsj said, once you find your groove it is super easy.
permanentvacation 02:16 PM 08-20-2014
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I also think I need to be particular about the children that I have in my daycare. I just had an interview with a child and he is so 'active' that there would be absolutely no way I could get any school work done during the day if I had him in my care. I plan to do my job properly, but I need to not be too stressed out/worn out from working with the kids and the children need to be 'nappers' so I can do my school work during nap time. I was worn out from the child I just interviewed with just trying to hold the interview! I have told the two parents that are not leaving my daycare (2 are leaving to go to preschool) that their 2 children will be the only ones here. Neither family seemed upset about that. So I think I will continue to advertise, but be very selective with the children that I allow to enroll. In the meanwhile, I better get REALLY good at stretching my dollars!
permanentvacation 03:04 PM 08-20-2014
Angelsj,

Good grief, I thought I used to be a busy person! Even when I was married, I was pretty much a single mother - just had more money! My ex would leave for work around 7 am and come back home typically after midnight. He owned his own business and really just didn't want to have to come home to be a husband or father so he just stayed at work as long as he could! I did daycare full-time, took the kids (including mine) to 3 different schools every day plus had the little ones all day, took my older daughter to 2 activities (such as soccer and karate) and my younger one to 1 activity all the time, and for a little while, home-schooled, and took my personal children to every doctor/dentist/ etc. apt (with the daycare kids in tow) I even took my daycare kids with me to OBGYN appointments!
cheerfuldom 03:06 PM 08-20-2014
I work full time, have a full time college schedule and have four kids under 7 and yes, time management is key! I have one class to finish my associates!
drseuss 03:19 PM 08-20-2014

Keys:

Wow! Good on you and great advice!
Reply Up