Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>5 Year Old Is Bored At Daycare
Crazy Baby 08:55 AM 05-31-2017
I have a small in home daycare. I have children ages 1 and 3 and then an almost 5 year old. The 5 year old started going to preschool part time, but he will be returning to my care full time next week.

The mother told me that he is bored at my daycare and that she wants to know what activities I will have for him. I told her that I would work on providing more/better activities for him.

I feel like he is outgrowing my daycare, especially since he started preschool. Now that he has gone to school, he has higher expectations that I have a hard time competing with.

It is also stressing me out that the mom will most likely be lording over my business, putting a lot of pressure on me to make her kid happy.

How do you make your older kids happy when you still have the little ones to entertain as well?
daycarediva 09:29 AM 05-31-2017
I don't entertain children. If he's bored, he would get a job to do.

I would tell that to Mom, too. It isn't my job to entertain your child. It's a very common occurrence the spring-summer before K, as children are ready to move on to a more structured program. It IS my job to provide age appropriate activities and materials for her child to use. Why don't they brainstorm a list of games he could play every morning before arriving at daycare?

I provide preschool only, and the same thing happens to my kids, essentially, they are outgrowing my care. It's a great opportunity for them to learn to handle boredom and be creative. I would provide more loose parts, and maybe a space at the table where he can use them by himself (as he is the oldest by quite a bit).
Pepperth 09:59 AM 05-31-2017
Last summer, I had 2 school agers (which helped immensly as they entertained each other the whole time.) They had an area to play legos, where only they could go. I also purchased a notebook and their own set of markers. They wrote stories and drew pictures all summer and it make a cool booklet to send home at the end.

He may be better suited to a summer program elsewhere. Here, the university, the YMCA and a few other organizations have great summer programs that school-aged kids can go to each day, and they run about the same price as daycare.
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I don't entertain children. If he's bored, he would get a job to do.

I would tell that to Mom, too. It isn't my job to entertain your child. It's a very common occurrence the spring-summer before K, as children are ready to move on to a more structured program. It IS my job to provide age appropriate activities and materials for her child to use. Why don't they brainstorm a list of games he could play every morning before arriving at daycare?

I provide preschool only, and the same thing happens to my kids, essentially, they are outgrowing my care. It's a great opportunity for them to learn to handle boredom and be creative. I would provide more loose parts, and maybe a space at the table where he can use them by himself (as he is the oldest by quite a bit).
I agree with everything she just said ^^

It sounds like you might have a bigger problem though if you start allowing a DCP to dictate how you do stuff.

We have learning time/activities etc during the traditional school year and free play all day everyday in the summer months.

I always tell my families that kids are in charge of having fun (or not) in the summer. It builds character and allows them to build skills that will come in handy later in life.
laundrymom 11:41 AM 05-31-2017
I allow them to attend but refuse to entertain. They are children. They should be able to imagine an afternoon away easily. Loose part toys, and a bunch of fresh air should be all he needs.
Ariana 11:52 AM 05-31-2017
I had a child, same age, complain to her mom about being bored in my care. She actually enjoyed being here and played all day with the younger kids. I told the mom it was ok if she brought some electronics etc (this was back when I was a newbie to childcare) and she never played with them!! It was all an act because she wanted to be at the same daycare as her bestfriend. The mom eventually moved her to that daycare with her best friend.

Basically you need to do what is right for you and she will do what is right for her. If the child is bored then that is on him. A 5 year old is not a teenager and doesn't need a lot of different activities if they are able to use their imagination. My nearly 8 year old has a blast when she is at my day are during PD days and during the summer. She has a very active imagination and is used to being bored
daycare 12:04 PM 05-31-2017
I let the kids entertain each other. Nothing cooler to a younger child than an older one.

Make him a leader and have him help all of his little friends. He will never get bored of that.

But as others said. Don't go out of your way to please this family. They will learn to expect that and feel they have control over how you run your program.

I never under estimate the power of a 5 year old and make my kids help/entertain all the younger ones .
nannyde 12:07 PM 05-31-2017
Does the child have younger sibs in daycare?
Miss A 12:13 PM 05-31-2017
Daycare Diva and BC: what jobs do you have your bored kids do? I have a 3 & 4 year old on Tuesday and Thursday each week this summer who get bored during nap time. I have some busy bag ideas to work on over the weekend, but love the idea of "jobs" for them.
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Daycare Diva and BC: what jobs do you have your bored kids do? I have a 3 & 4 year old on Tuesday and Thursday each week this summer who get bored during nap time. I have some busy bag ideas to work on over the weekend, but love the idea of "jobs" for them.

Basically, ANY thing and everything I can think of that needs to be done that they are capable of doing.
AmyKidsCo 01:24 PM 05-31-2017
Ditto everyone else.

The only extra provision I make for school agers is that they can play board games in the gated-off living room, as long as there aren't any problems. If there are problems they're back with everyone else.
Crazy Baby 01:39 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Does the child have younger sibs in daycare?
No younger siblings
ColorfulSunburst 09:15 PM 05-31-2017
I have three 5yo here (boys).

their favorite activities:

-coloring
-playing chess
-riding on tricycles
-water play
-chalk drawing
-flour puzzles
-Lego
-math games
-memory games

in fact all other kids (22mo-4 yo) are involved in the same activities.
daycarediva 04:18 AM 06-01-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
  • Cleaning toy bins (tossing broken stuff)
  • Sorting bins, baskets of old stuff (putting X back where it belongs)
  • cleaning/dusting (depending on age)
  • picking up sticks, trash and debris on the playground, sorting out old, dried up, broken crayons and markers
  • Weeding the classroom flower/veggie gardens
  • Reading to the younger children
  • Setting up or taking down an activity

Basically, ANY thing and everything I can think of that needs to be done that they are capable of doing.

Yup.

I have a montessori inspired set up, so I have child size brooms and dustpans available, too. The kids sweep, clean tables, wipe down chairs, clean toys, wash their outside toys/dishes, fill the bubble station, a bottle brush and PVC pipes take a while to clean. (In addition to what BC said.)
Snowmom 07:13 AM 06-01-2017
I do have supplies just for my older kids. My own kids are 6 & 9, so a couple years ago, I made a cabinet that only schoolagers (5+) can have access to.
I'm lucky my layout allows me to supervise them in the dining room while we are in the playroom.

The cabinet has legos, art supplies, busy finger activities (beading, origami-type activities, pre-packaged sun catchers), DIY race track w/hot wheels, etc. I also let them have limited access to the Leap pad that has ebooks and educational apps.

My older kids also have jobs during the day. They set up activities for the younger ones. They love setting up obstacle courses outside, instructing them on how to use the kid's scissors & art projects, pass out lunch supplies and help them get ready for nap & outside time.
Mom2Two 03:14 PM 06-01-2017
My seven dck are all between 3-6. The four year old and five year olds and six year old all like to play together including with my 7 yo daughter ( a bit delayed so she seems younger). I'm wondering if part of what you're dealing with is due to an age difference. 3 year olds are not always ready for tons of cooperative or dramatic play in the way that a little bit older children are.

One of the three year olds I have is not as advanced in her development and plays pretty simply, but the other one is smart as a whip, very verbal, and is quite the diva with the older kids.

When I've had kids who aren't an automatic bunch of friends, I do more structure and have more solo-type activities like playdoh, and other arts and crafts--stuff that all ages can enjoy.

Just recently, a friend gave us a bunch of plastic dinosaurs, and I let the kids play with them in their sensory water trays indoors or outdoors in the sand and with small rocks. They've all been watching Land Before Time, so they're way into dinosaurs right now. They each play at their own level or they cooperate.

But apart from all that...I agree with giving some lessons and chores. When it was just me as a SAHM in the Summer with my son (now a teen), he got really annoying if he didn't have some serious stuff to do before he got his freedom each day. The play time seems more like a bonus when it means that chores are over.

I've had older SA kids before and if I ever do that again, I will give them some academic assignments and chores each day just to keep them grounded.
flying_babyb 06:11 PM 06-01-2017
Lessons!! fun workbooks, fun leaning things. You know the dollar store kindergarten work books. Also would have this child "learn" something simple about whatever theme or instrest he has and "teach" the littles. I have a emerging reader 5 year old who runs into my room after school and tells the littles (1's and 2s) all about what he learned, often digging out his homework to show off. My kids love it
Tags:bored, bored at daycare, boredom, school age care
Reply Up