Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Confidentiality
Unregistered 07:21 PM 04-07-2009
Today when I arrived at my daycare to pick up my child, there was an ambulance there. My daugther went in to pick him up and when they got in the car I asked if someone was sick, his response was there was a "dead body". I called the daycare to make sure everything was alright and was told the information was confidential. I told the employee to have the owner to contact me. When the owner finally contacted me, she stated the same thing...the information was confidential. I told her that I had a right to know if my child's health was in jeopardy and she had an obligation to assure me of that by explaining why an ambulance was there. She demanded that I apologize to the employees that I spoke with earlier and when I asked why, she became very irritated and kicked my child out of the daycare. As a parent, do I have a right to know why an ambulance was at the daycare, especially after the comment that my child made about a dead body?
Ms.Sue 05:07 PM 04-08-2009
it's YOUR job to go inside and retrieve your child - not your daughters. Maybe if you took the time to walk in there you would be more informed.

And, yes, if it doesn't concern your child- then it is confidential. I can only assume that the center will send out a statement explaining what happened so that you can address it at home.
lilbiddapopcorn 04:33 AM 04-09-2009
If it was something your child could catch that was some deadly disease you would know about it already. Since i'm sure something like a rampid plague of ebola hasn't happened in your daycare, do you really feel it is your business? People have the right to their privacy, especially the person in the ambulance and the family of the person in the ambulance. I honestly don't think it was any of your business and there will probably be a notice sent home to let the parents know what they need to know (what they NEED to know, not what they WANT to know).
tymaboy 12:46 PM 04-09-2009
If it had anything to do with your child you would have been the second person they called (1st being 911) Other then that no you do not have the right to know what was going on since it had nothing to do with your child at the time & to pursue it was rude & inconsiderate on your part. The Center had more things to worry about then answering your questions (the children in care & the family of the "dead body" (which may have been a child or not)) Centers & in home providers all must follow the confidentiality rule when it comes to the children in care & their business. How would you like it if a center gave out information to another parent about your child?
Unregistered 07:47 PM 04-09-2009
Don't you think we are being a little hard on this poor women. She is just worried about her child (Grandchild) WE ARE DAYCARE PROVIDERS. YES WE KNOW THE RULES. BUT LETS NOT ATTACK THIS POOR WOMEN. She probably doesn't know we can't give out information if its not her child. I know you are worried about your child as any of us would. But we have to follow rules in this industry. Trust me I have been in some centers where I have left because the teachers were horriable to the children and the stupid director had her head up her -ss. Places like that should be closed down. I'm working on one right now!!!! I'm sure your child will be fine. They will issue some kind of statement.
I'm a Grandmother too.
lilbiddapopcorn 10:34 PM 04-11-2009
I apologize if I seemed like I was being too aggressive, that wasn't my intention. Just my opinion as a daycare provider and a mom. Just to clarify though I was under the impression the original writer with the concern was the mother of the child in daycare, not a grandmother, just that she sent her older daughter in to pick up her child for her...
ladymom123 02:01 PM 08-20-2009
i need major help! im having problems with my daughter's father. and basically hes a dead beat. his mother is crazy...and i mean litterally crazy. and i feel she is a danger to have near my daughter. well see, i have a new boyfriend now and i moved in here with him, and choose not to have any contact with my child's father or his mother anymore. i dont want him to know where i live or what daycare i put my daughter in, because im afraid that his mom and him will try to pick her up and kidnap her. so i didnt let him know my address, or what daycare i was putting my daughter in. but the thing is..today i found out that a friend of my child's father is the girl thats been watching my daughter at the daycare!!!!!! not only that but she gave him private information on what daycare shes in,what transportation i use to get there, and what time i pick her up. for all i know, she probabally gave my address as well!!! i tried to confront the daycare, but they said they dismissed her a while now. what do i do???? i feel like suing the daycare! its their responcibility to keep private information concealed. im so lucky that his mother didnt pick her up and try to kidnap her since she knew where my daughter was during the day. and to top that off, one day i went to pick my daughter up and they told me they moved her to a different room, so when i went to get her, the lady that was watching my daughter, tried to pawn 3 kids off to me saying it was my child when it wasent.she didnt even ask for i.d she was just eager to get rid of any child and to whom whoever! then when i confronted them for not only having the employee give private info out but to also say how the lady watching kids tried to pawn them off.her own responce was that she dismissed "both" of them a while ago. i think i have a case. do I????
ConcernedMotherof2 05:28 AM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by ladymom123:
i need major help! im having problems with my daughter's father. and basically hes a dead beat. his mother is crazy...and i mean litterally crazy. and i feel she is a danger to have near my daughter. well see, i have a new boyfriend now and i moved in here with him, and choose not to have any contact with my child's father or his mother anymore. i dont want him to know where i live or what daycare i put my daughter in, because im afraid that his mom and him will try to pick her up and kidnap her. so i didnt let him know my address, or what daycare i was putting my daughter in. but the thing is..today i found out that a friend of my child's father is the girl thats been watching my daughter at the daycare!!!!!! not only that but she gave him private information on what daycare shes in,what transportation i use to get there, and what time i pick her up. for all i know, she probabally gave my address as well!!! i tried to confront the daycare, but they said they dismissed her a while now. what do i do???? i feel like suing the daycare! its their responcibility to keep private information concealed. im so lucky that his mother didnt pick her up and try to kidnap her since she knew where my daughter was during the day. and to top that off, one day i went to pick my daughter up and they told me they moved her to a different room, so when i went to get her, the lady that was watching my daughter, tried to pawn 3 kids off to me saying it was my child when it wasent.she didnt even ask for i.d she was just eager to get rid of any child and to whom whoever! then when i confronted them for not only having the employee give private info out but to also say how the lady watching kids tried to pawn them off.her own responce was that she dismissed "both" of them a while ago. i think i have a case. do I????

On the privacy issue, you only have a case if you have an order of protection (or PFA or whatever your state calls it) against your child's father and/or his mother. I don't know what state you're in, but in every state I've been in, the father has as much right to the child as the mother. As far as the dc trying to give you children that were not yours and not asking for ID, you shouldn't be using that dc anymore--I know I would have taken my kids and ran. That is a major issue and you have to wonder about the safety of your child in their care. I don't know if you have a case for a law suit, you'd have to ask a lawyer about that, but you definitely have cause to report the dc to DCS. I hope this works out for you--keep us posted.
Unregistered 07:09 AM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by ConcernedMotherof2:
On the privacy issue, you only have a case if you have an order of protection (or PFA or whatever your state calls it) against your child's father and/or his mother. I don't know what state you're in, but in every state I've been in, the father has as much right to the child as the mother. As far as the dc trying to give you children that were not yours and not asking for ID, you shouldn't be using that dc anymore--I know I would have taken my kids and ran. That is a major issue and you have to wonder about the safety of your child in their care. I don't know if you have a case for a law suit, you'd have to ask a lawyer about that, but you definitely have cause to report the dc to DCS. I hope this works out for you--keep us posted.
The father does have just as much right to the child as you do if there is no court order what so ever. The grandmother, however, does not. The worker does need to be punished and you need to talk to the social worker or the supervisor, or hell go higher. If they have a main office go there! Confidentiality is very important because they do not know if the individual picking up that child has or could harm the child. I do however think that you need to figure out what is going on in that situation for the health of your children. Just because you have a new boyfriend does not mean that they don't have a father. He deserves his children especially if he has been in their lives before!!!!!
MyAngels 12:03 PM 01-31-2012
You realize this thread is close to 3 years old, right?
Tags:2009, confidentiality, old thread, privacy
Reply Up