Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Can I Write Off Car Maintenance Supplies?
legomom922 06:16 AM 01-14-2011
Since I use my car for DC, field trips, shopping, banking, etc can I write off with t/s% :

new wiper blades
anti-freeze
new battery
oil change
tires & rotation
car repairs
ezpass renewal for the thruway tolls

??????????????
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:42 AM 01-14-2011
Again, I'm just learning but I have read a lot lately to make sure I'm doing this right and have Tom's book which helps tremendously!

When claiming those type of write-offs, you don't use your Time/space %....you use your percentage of vehicle use...in Minitue Menu there is a place you put in your starting miles and ending miles and Minute Menu will take the miles you used for business and calculate your vehicle percentage use. That is the percentage you will use to write off these expenses.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I have the hang of this.
legomom922 06:58 AM 01-14-2011
I have his book, but I have had no time to even read it yet! isnt that terrible? seems easier just to hop on here, ask a question, and bam, get an answer, LOL

So you think then all of those expenses I listed, are deductable, but I just have to calculate it differently?

I just had repairs done yesterday, and just got the oil change and anti freeze, so thats why I'm asking now, LOL
kendallina 08:07 AM 01-14-2011
Do you claim the standard mileage rate? If you do that takes the place of any repairs/maintenance on your car. That's what I do...so that's the only part that I know. Not sure how to do things if you don't use the standard mileage rate. But it's in the book...
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:20 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Do you claim the standard mileage rate? If you do that takes the place of any repairs/maintenance on your car. That's what I do...so that's the only part that I know. Not sure how to do things if you don't use the standard mileage rate. But it's in the book...
I DO use the standard milage rate...so that means I can't claim any repairs/maintenance? The only thing I claimed so far are my new tires, so I should take those out because I use the standard mileage rate??
legomom922 08:29 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
In Toms Book?
Lilbutterflie 09:12 AM 01-14-2011
I was under the impression that if you use the standard mileage rate, that includes car maintenance as well. So if you use it, you can't deduct any other car maintenance expenses. But you can factor in your car loan interest... as a time/space ratio I think.
kendallina 09:30 AM 01-14-2011
Yup, you can use either the standard mileage rate OR the actual vehicle usage. It also says that in the first year you claim car expenses if you choose actual vehicle expenses, you cannot use standard mileage rate any year after that. You would have to always use actual vehicle expenses always.

Pg 100 of Tom's Record Keeping Book. And yes, if you use the standard mileage rate you can't deduct most car-related expenses. Although there seem to be a few exceptions, like you can deduct tolls paid, parking paid, and a portion of car loan interest.
legomom922 09:59 AM 01-14-2011
So since repairs are expensive, you would be better off using actual vs standard mileage?
TomCopeland 01:25 PM 01-14-2011
Glad to see people reading my books!

If you are using the standard mileage rate you can only deduct $.50 cents a mile, plus parking, % of car loan interest, % of car property tax, and tolls. Nothing else - not repairs.

Most providers use the standard mileage method, but many would be probably be better off using the actual expenses method.
legomom922 08:59 AM 01-17-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Glad to see people reading my books!

If you are using the standard mileage rate you can only deduct $.50 cents a mile, plus parking, % of car loan interest, % of car property tax, and tolls. Nothing else - not repairs.

Most providers use the standard mileage method, but many would be probably be better off using the actual expenses method.
I'm on my car folder now, LOL

So just to clarify, if I claim actual, I can claim all repairs? I have an older SUV, so I have had quite a bit of work done this yr.

Would I also have to figure out then exactly how much gas I bought & used for the yr for when I had dc kids with me or did shopping etc?? Would I need gas reciepts? I dont them, but I always always use my debit card, so I have all of my bank statments, so I could use that.

And so I would have to do it that way from now on then? Which is ok, if I make out better.
TomCopeland 09:03 AM 01-17-2011
If you are using the actual method of claiming car expenses you would add up the total of all expenses (repairs, gas, etc.) and then multiply by your business use % of the car. Debit card statements could be used to show gas purchases.

If in the first year you use your car for business you use the standard mileage method, you can switch over to the actual method in any later year. If in the first year you use your car for business you use the actual expenses method, you must stick with that method for as long as you are using that car in your business.
Tags:deductions, tom copeland
Reply Up