Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Internet T/S Or Business Use %
legomom922 01:17 PM 01-14-2011
So while I was entering expenses today, I came across another question when it came to my cable bill. My internet is provided through my cable company, so my bill is for both, So in MMK would I be better off entering cable & internet separately because I know cable would be t/s%, but being on the internet on Dayvare.com MUST be business % because 90% of my time is DC related! Right??
TomCopeland 01:22 PM 01-14-2011
As a general rule, use your time-space percentage to determine how much to deduct of something that is used for both business and personal purposes. You can, however, use an actual business use percentage on some items. If you do this, you need to have some written records to show how you arrived at your business percentage. For example, if you wanted to use an actual business use percentage on your internet bill (because of all the time you spend here) you should probably show at least 2 months of records showing how much time and when you were on the internet, recorded daily. So, on a calendar (or some other place) you would show that on Monday the 1st you were on the internet for business from 7-7:30 am and from 8-9pm (you can't count time on the internet if children are in your home). You would need to record personal time on the internet as well. Then use the % of business time for these two months for the rest of the year. As you can see, this is a lot of paperwork. Don't try to claim 75% time on the internet unless you can back it up. Most providers just use their time-space percentage.
Tags:time space percentage, tom copeland
Reply Up