Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Tag A Long???
LittleCrawfishCC 05:13 AM 04-23-2012
I saw a couple of months ago that someone had a picture of the toddlers that used a wrap on their arm and kept them close for outings, anyone know what this was?
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 04-23-2012
Here are some threads on walking ropes, leashes and harnesses. I think the one you are referring to is called a tot-a-long but not 100%. I know someone mentioned it in one of these threads though https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=walking+ropes
Unregistered 12:16 PM 04-23-2012
Yup, Blackcat is right. NannyD has pictures of her kids using them. I got some after she talked about them and use them all the time. The kids actually like them!

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Bab.../dp/B000XPV4CK
LittleCrawfishCC 01:58 PM 04-23-2012
I am hoping to get this for my group for summer thank you ladies!
Michael 04:43 PM 04-23-2012
I bet it was this one:

LittleCrawfishCC 07:12 PM 04-23-2012
Yes Michael that was it! I am hoping to find a good sturdy one, but I was hoping for one that Velcros around their wrist? Has anyone seen anything like this? I know that some of ya'll make it, any suggestions?

Thank You!
MNMum 07:13 PM 04-23-2012
I have a small group, so I took the safety straps off of my 2 running strollers, attached them to the sides of the stroller I was using for my outing and had my toddlers hold on to the ends of those. Even without having them actually attached to the kids wrists, I had some goofball make a backhanded comment about how cruel I was to have kids on leashes... At least I had kids that were alive, well, and not lost!
LittleCrawfishCC 07:16 PM 04-23-2012
That is exactly how I look at it!!!! I just purchased a double stroller off craigslist (Brand spanking new for $70!), and my ages are 4 months, 6 monthes (Would be in the stroller) 1 yr, 22 months, and my 2 1/2 year old daughter *She is an aspie, and runs off alot!* so I need something that will keep them safe, and I am just not so sure that holding on to a ring will work.
Sprouts 06:42 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yup, Blackcat is right. NannyD has pictures of her kids using them. I got some after she talked about them and use them all the time. The kids actually like them!

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Bab.../dp/B000XPV4CK
Thanks! I just added that to my shopping cart!
SpMommy 01:54 PM 07-02-2012
Hello, I have been searching on the internet regarding this topic and came across your website. I hope you don't mind me asking this question here because it seems like you are the best source of knowledge regarding this topic.

My son is 2 yrs 2 mo and is moving into the Toddler 2 room where they leave the center and walk to the library/on walks. I just found this out and it looks like they use these walking rings someone pictured with 2 to a ring. There are 10 kids in the class (when all present) and 2 teachers. The daycare is in the city in Boston and the street they walk along is a very busy street.

I feel extremely uncomfortable about this as I would not even walk with him hand in hand while with another kid on this street, and brought up maybe having him stay behind when they do this, but it sounds like they do it often and it would be hard to find a classroom for him to go to while they do. They did offer to hold his hand, but I worry that they will forget.

Do you think these walking ropes are safe for 2-3 yr olds?
heyhun77 05:59 AM 07-07-2012
Originally Posted by SpMommy:
Hello, I have been searching on the internet regarding this topic and came across your website. I hope you don't mind me asking this question here because it seems like you are the best source of knowledge regarding this topic.

My son is 2 yrs 2 mo and is moving into the Toddler 2 room where they leave the center and walk to the library/on walks. I just found this out and it looks like they use these walking rings someone pictured with 2 to a ring. There are 10 kids in the class (when all present) and 2 teachers. The daycare is in the city in Boston and the street they walk along is a very busy street.

I feel extremely uncomfortable about this as I would not even walk with him hand in hand while with another kid on this street, and brought up maybe having him stay behind when they do this, but it sounds like they do it often and it would be hard to find a classroom for him to go to while they do. They did offer to hold his hand, but I worry that they will forget.

Do you think these walking ropes are safe for 2-3 yr olds?
I think that children get used to walking as a group and understand the rules of the walk (i.e. we hold onto the walking rope, we stop at corners to watch for cars, we stay with our teacher, ect.). I've used walking ropes with the children in my care for 7 years before starting to work in centers and the children have all understood and followed the directions. The teachers know the children in their care and their listening/following directions skills and I assume wouldn't put the children in harm's way if they weren't ready for the field trip. One thing I would note is I typically had a consequence to letting go of the rope which was having to hold my hand or hold onto the stroller (if we had one with us) to understand that we don't let go. Also, when a new child joined us we would do some practice walks to help them get to know how we walk together. Maybe talk to the teachers to make sure they have a handle on their class and that your child is understanding the rules of going for the walk.
Lianne 07:40 AM 07-07-2012
I like the idea of these walking ropes but I don't feel comfortable using them. I run a home daycare. I'm the only adult here since I don't have an assistant. I don't like having the children walking behind me in case one lets go, takes off or God forbid gets snatched. I want my kids walking in front of me where I can see them so me being at the front of the line/rope doesn't work for me. But, if I take the rope at the end, the children don't know how/where to lead our walk to get to where we're going. They stand in a group or wander all over the sidewalk/grass aimlessly. I've even tried having a mature 6yr old take the lead but it didn't work.

So, what I do now is push the younger one/s in the stroller and I use those plastic links to make a chain for the toddler or preschooler I can't trust to not run off. All the other children are allowed to walk/run ahead but are expected to stop on a dime when I say stop. The first time they don't, the walk with me holding the links. When crossing the road, the ones walking ahead come and hold the stroller or links or someone's hand.
Fruitloops1 06:36 PM 07-07-2012
Amazon has the tot-a-long. It has velcro at the end. I bought one a some time ago just to see, and its sturdy and a little stretchy. It loops at the end opposite to the velcro which is great if your walking with a stroller, you can loop it around so the walkers are attached to the stroller. I think thats how NannyD does her walks...

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Bab...rds=tot-a-long
Tags:walking harness, walking ropes
Reply Up