Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Make A 1 Month Payment Arrangement?
lovemydaycare0912 09:49 AM 02-08-2016
Dcb has been in my care for 11 months. Good family but I helped them with a payment plan last year when assistance was cut off because we could afford to. She went into 2016 up to date, with assistance and everything was fine.

Dcd comes today and asks if they can pay every 2 weeks bc its too much for them (blah blah mind you they are not together). Had nerve to say they have bills, like I dont. I told him Id speak to mom when she picks up.

My idea is I let them pay next friday for that date and the friday before but add a little extra. 2 weeks from that do the same so they will be caught up going forward. I don't mind doing this seeing as though we can afford it and it will only take 1 month to get caught up.

Im going to tell her this is our only option. If this will not work for them, she will need to give notice and find alternative care. I don't want to do that, but I refuse to be paid 1 week behind. Sorry not sorry. Guess this was more of a rant, but just looking for support that I came up with a doable option.
Thriftylady 09:59 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Dcb has been in my care for 11 months. Good family but I helped them with a payment plan last year when assistance was cut off because we could afford to. She went into 2016 up to date, with assistance and everything was fine.

Dcd comes today and asks if they can pay every 2 weeks bc its too much for them (blah blah mind you they are not together). Had nerve to say they have bills, like I dont. I told him Id speak to mom when she picks up.

My idea is I let them pay next friday for that date and the friday before but add a little extra. 2 weeks from that do the same so they will be caught up going forward. I don't mind doing this seeing as though we can afford it and it will only take 1 month to get caught up.

Im going to tell her this is our only option. If this will not work for them, she will need to give notice and find alternative care. I don't want to do that, but I refuse to be paid 1 week behind. Sorry not sorry. Guess this was more of a rant, but just looking for support that I came up with a doable option.
I am trying to understand what you are saying, but we all know it is harder when it is typed. So my first question is will these payments be in advance of care? I only do advance payments anymore. So I think I am understanding you to say they want to get to where they are two weeks ahead and pay two weeks, each time they pay in advance? If that is what you are saying I would totally do this. BUT I won't do payment arrangements with two parents who are not together. I require ONE parent to be in charge of payments and will only make a payment arrangement with that parent. If they are together I will do it with either, but when they are not and then someone doesn't pay, well I just won't go chasing after more than one person.
lovemydaycare0912 10:06 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am trying to understand what you are saying, but we all know it is harder when it is typed. So my first question is will these payments be in advance of care? I only do advance payments anymore. So I think I am understanding you to say they want to get to where they are two weeks ahead and pay two weeks, each time they pay in advance? If that is what you are saying I would totally do this. BUT I won't do payment arrangements with two parents who are not together. I require ONE parent to be in charge of payments and will only make a payment arrangement with that parent. If they are together I will do it with either, but when they are not and then someone doesn't pay, well I just won't go chasing after more than one person.
Sorry for confusion. Right now payment is in advance. I accept payments from both parents BUT mom understands my contract is with her, so if dad doesnt pay she is responsible. They want to not pay friday and pay next friday for this coming and next. But that would put them 1 week behind which i am not okay with. Thats why i thought of adding a little more to the payment to get them caught up within a month. If they fail to make those payments, then i will stop care. I have to write something up for her. I don't do verbal agreements.
Blackcat31 10:25 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Sorry for confusion. Right now payment is in advance. I accept payments from both parents BUT mom understands my contract is with her, so if dad doesnt pay she is responsible. They want to not pay friday and pay next friday for this coming and next. But that would put them 1 week behind which i am not okay with. Thats why i thought of adding a little more to the payment to get them caught up within a month. If they fail to make those payments, then i will stop care. I have to write something up for her. I don't do verbal agreements.
Honestly, I would not be okay being someone's bank and financing them due to poor budgeting.

If they have bills, I understand as I have them too but I would encourage them to make payment arrangements with another financial obligation other than their child care provider.

If they are receiving assistance then the state has already figured out what they can and can't afford to pay for child care so I dont think I would be willing to go any farther.

I would let them know that payment is due X and if they don't pay by that date, there is a late fee attached and NO additional services will be provided until payment is made in full just like everyone else has to do.

They are coming to you for a "easy fix" because you agreed previously and Im all for working with families once but I wont do it regularly.

Like I said, they can borrow money from someone else or they can make payment arrangements with their cable company or cell phone company but it wouldn't be with me if I were their provider.

It appears this is going to be an on-going issue with them since it's only been a few weeks before they are finding themselves in financial trouble again.

If you choose to do this, I think you need to have some really firm rules in place or you are going to be left without being paid.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:25 AM 02-08-2016
You know over the past years I have found it helpful to remind/inform parents of the expenses that I incur running a child care. For some reason it seems to escape them that we have food, supplies & even a payroll expenses every week to meet just like any other job.

That said, I have found it helpful (more for me than the parents) to offer a few options for tuition payments. Some of my parents opt to pay monthly, for which I offer a 3% discount. Others pay weekly, but I do require payment the Friday before for the coming week. For the monthlies, if payment is not made on or before the 1st, no discount. For the weekly people, if payment is not made by Friday afternoon, late fees will be imposed.

It feels uncomfortable sometimes to get hard with your rules, but if you don't respect your rules no one will respect them. Believe me, usually you will only have to enforce them a few times before the clients get it and comply. No one likes paying fees.

One other thing; I send reminders out every week (usually Thursday morning) to all the parents that tuition payment is due Friday. Because it is a usual thing, none of the parents seem to be annoyed with receiving this reminder.

Hope that helps! Remember a problem client will remain a problem client only if YOU allow it.
DaveA 10:29 AM 02-08-2016
I wouldn't do it. I just see it ending badly.
Ariana 10:56 AM 02-08-2016
I agree with the others. To me childcare should be THE most important bill. Without childcare you can't work and then none of the bills will be paid. I see you as already providing enough for them. Taking care of their child so they can work. You should be paid first and foremost as you are the most important person in their lives. Like blackcat mentioned tell them to go elsewhere to find payment options. You should be their top priority.
sahm1225 11:22 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I wouldn't do it. I just see it ending badly.
Agreed. They would pay NEXT Friday for this week and next, which means if they don't pay, you just worked 2 weeks for free!
Cat Herder 11:28 AM 02-08-2016
"Of course you can pay every two weeks. Pay two weeks up front then every two weeks thereafter. Let me know when you are ready to start. Here is your direct deposit auto-pay login info. Thanks"
MyAngels 01:20 PM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"Of course you can pay every two weeks. Pay two weeks up front then every two weeks thereafter. Let me know when you are ready to start. Here is your direct deposit auto-pay login info. Thanks"

Honestly, why do people think it's okay to put their daycare provider in a tough position? Take a loan, borrow from your parents or a friend, ask your employer for an advance, cash advance your credit card for pete's sake, but don't ask your provider to bail you out....
AmyKidsCo 01:24 PM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly, I would not be okay being someone's bank and financing them due to poor budgeting.
ITA - I can't afford to subsidize or finance their bills.

I know it won't help now, but for future reference... I always require the last 2 weeks' care paid within the first month of attendance. That way future "late" payments aren't really late because I have 2 weeks of payments in my bank.
lovemydaycare0912 04:23 PM 02-08-2016
I spoke to mom who cleared things up for me. Thanks for all your advice.
lovemydaycare0912 04:24 PM 02-08-2016
As soon as I move, I am doing the 2 week deposit.
Ariana 05:48 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

I know it won't help now, but for future reference... I always require the last 2 weeks' care paid within the first month of attendance. That way future "late" payments aren't really late because I have 2 weeks of payments in my bank.
I do this too. This way anytime there is a non payment (which thankfully has never happened to me) I am compensated when I terminate care.
Thriftylady 05:49 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

To me, the deposit covers the last weeks of care if they leave without paying them, I won't use that for keeping the balance current.
biglou 06:33 PM 02-09-2016
don't do it unless you have protection in the bank with deposit.
All my families have a 1 week deposit in the bank. They also pay for daycare one week in advance. So if a family falls behind one week, I have protection from the security deposit! So if I decide to give the one week cushion, I still cannot lose $ because of the deposit in the event they do not show up with payment the following friday!

so if you have this protection, it is your choice! If you don't have the protection, then look at the responses so many have provided. You are not a bank, so if any family wants "financing" from you...CHARGE THEM. How about $10 a day every day your tuition is late. Then they will either find the money to pay you and move on to Grandma's free daycare. Let's face it, if you are going to loose them, better to loose them before you get stiffed out of your payment!

Working with families regarding payment is common place in this industry, particularly family-based care, but it does not mean you need to get ripped off while helping folks!

Best

Big Lou
Reply Up