Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Website- Legally Unlicensed
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 03:19 PM 08-22-2017
Anyone run a licensed exempt daycare AND have a website? I only have four spots total, and only one open at the moment. I currently have a facebook page, and am wondering if a website is overkill?

For awhile I had my handbook posted on my facebook page using PDF files as pictures, and I feel like I had more quality interviews when I did. However, it wasn't the easiest to update. Since I've taken the handbook down I've gotten fewer calls about interviews. I've thought about a website, and while this is a business, it just feels like too much for a small unlicensed daycare.

I do feel like the facebook page has helped me stand out from the numerous craigslist ads of "SAHM looking to watch some extra kids".

Curious as to what others are doing to get their information out there.
Ariana 03:54 PM 08-22-2017
I am legally unlicensed in Canada and I had a website at one time but decided to take it down. It was only $12 a month but daycare spaces are not something you have to advertise for all the time so months would go by where I didn't need to advertise for a spot and I was paying for nothing!

Facebook has been the most useful for me. Annoying but useful!
LysesKids 04:33 PM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
Anyone run a licensed exempt daycare AND have a website? I only have four spots total, and only one open at the moment. I currently have a facebook page, and am wondering if a website is overkill?

For awhile I had my handbook posted on my facebook page using PDF files as pictures, and I feel like I had more quality interviews when I did. However, it wasn't the easiest to update. Since I've taken the handbook down I've gotten fewer calls about interviews. I've thought about a website, and while this is a business, it just feels like too much for a small unlicensed daycare.

I do feel like the facebook page has helped me stand out from the numerous craigslist ads of "SAHM looking to watch some extra kids".

Curious as to what others are doing to get their information out there.
I've owned my .com for 10+ years... I bought it way back when godaddy gave you 5 free pages (now it's one). I have also moved states a few times, so my allowable #'s change occasionally. There are many free web hosting places that you can set up a website. Mine was working better before go daddy made me upgrade to the new program last December- looking at moving the .com elsewhere now, but for 12 a year, I'll stick with the .com BTW, I have run licensed & licensed exempt over the past 17+ years... currently licensed exempt with 4 babes
Jupadia 04:38 PM 08-22-2017
Also from Canada. I have not bothered with a Web site though my brother in law thought it was a great idea. I don't think I would get enough traffic with it since I can only have like 3 spaces to fill since we can only have 5 kids total with our own.
I do have business cards and a lawn sign that I use for advertising as well as a few online sites.
kendallina 04:47 PM 08-22-2017
I'm legally unlicensed and have 6 kids. I have a website and get a few calls a year from it. Its Weebly Pro site ($47/year), I don't pay for my own domain name.

Those that find me through my website tell me they love it. I put it in my signature for all my emails with prospective families too. I figure the more people understand about my philosophy and my program, the better targeted the interest is.
Michael 05:05 PM 08-22-2017
Its always helpful to have your own domain name website. It is about the only thing you can "own" on the internet. Having a website and listing your facility on on a site like Daycare.com elevates your website or FB pages once it is linked on our site. We are highly rated and indexed in all the search engines. Its a cheap way to advertise your facility and keeps you from dropping off search results which can usually take months to get re-indexed again.
littleflitter 06:23 AM 08-23-2017
I am also licence exempt and keep a website with my own domain name. When I have openings or am advertising I love being able to link right to my website with all the information for families ready to go. It saves me time and I think it gives families a more clear picture of the program I have. Even when I'm not actively advertising I get inquiries from my website at least monthly. For me the cost is worth the time it saves when I do advertised.
Snowmom 06:33 AM 08-23-2017
I own my own domain name for my business. But, I've never built the website. I should though!

I do have a webpage and blog and I get lots of compliments on it. It has a link to my handbook and is easy to change out that link for a new handbook.
It has pictures and videos and an intro to me. Pretty basic. Nothing fancy, but I think it makes a difference. I get an average of 40-50 hits a month. I think it's because I post a link to it every so often in local mom's groups I belong to as well as having it linked on my county association website.
Snowmom 06:35 AM 08-23-2017
I also wanted to say...
Looking professional is a benefit to you, no matter if you're unlicensed or not.
Tags:websites
Reply Up