Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping on a different level?
JJPlaycare 06:29 AM 11-02-2010
We are in the process of finishing our basement. Currently we have 3 bedrooms upstairs and we will be adding 2 bedrooms downstairs! I was wondering if once the basement is done if I can have the babies nap down there in one of the bedrooms? If so do I have to have a monitor on while they are sleeping or how does this work? As far as babies I mean children who are over 1, but still young enough to be in a pack n play! I don't think I would be comfortable having anyone younger than 1 on a different level than myself same goes for anyone out of a pack n play! I would have the 1 year olds who are in pack n plays in one of the bedrooms down there and I would be up here with all of the older kids napping who are out of pack n plays! Is this legal or how does it work?
MarinaVanessa 06:45 AM 11-02-2010
The best answer to this question is to call licensing in your area and ask them. Laws and regulations are so different from state to state and even county to county and city to city that your best option would be to ask them so that you know for sure. I live in Southern California and I live in a 2 story house and if I take one child up/down-stairs I have to take them all. I can't have any child on a different level at any time unless they are over 10, by that age they don't count against my ratio anyway. Other places don't have regulations against this if you check them every 15 minutes etc. Who knows, call and ask.
legomom922 06:53 AM 11-02-2010
Another reason why I WONT ever get liscensed!! I like the freedom I have in putting kids anywhere I choose, since I live in a split level and have rooms upstairs and downstairs.

So if you are registred, you would need to call and find out what the regulations are in oyur area.
BentleysBands 07:03 AM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Another reason why I WONT ever get liscensed!! I like the freedom I have in putting kids anywhere I choose, since I live in a split level and have rooms upstairs and downstairs.

So if you are registred, you would need to call and find out what the regulations are in oyur area.
ditto! i just dont understand why you cant let a child sleep in a bedroom...i mean we all let our OWN kids do this, atleast i did....who honestly sits and watches a child sleep?? come on...
DCMomOf3 08:01 AM 11-02-2010
It really does differ from state to state. I can have nappers one floor above or below me as long as it's not more than 2 under two on that different level. I think I'm remembering that right.
DCMom 08:38 AM 11-02-2010
Not only does it differ from state to state, but licensing worker to licensing worker.

When I was first licensed in this house (4 bedroom two story) I napped infants in the master bedroom (upper level) preschoolers in the family room (main level) while the school age kids were in the what I considered the main daycare level (lower/walkout basement).

When that licensing worker retired and I got my current worker, she said that I have to nap ALL kids on one level because she was concerned in the event of a fire. So now the daycare is completely, 100% in the lower level because that is where I have to be.
Reply Up