Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 yo and Going Potty
BentleysBands 04:49 AM 11-02-2010
at what age do you find that kids can go potty w/o help? i have never run into an issue as crazy as i'm in now. i have a 3yo dcg whos parents dote and treat her so much like a baby its sickening....dcg is completely potty trained. only problem i'm having is that she wont get on the potty herself or pull up/down her own pants....she CAN do it as i make her but i'm standing in the bathroom w/her so thats not the issue. i have a step stool so she can reach the potty, but she wont try and keeps whining she cant...wants ME to do it all...i have done and tried everything i can think of to assist her in being a big girl and she refuses....i also want to add that i do not use those little potty chairs....imo they are gross and add more problems so i stopped using those years ago and have had lots of success with the big potty. any sugesstions ??
newtodaycare22 05:10 AM 11-02-2010
I had a girl like this...and after a few weeks she was doing everything her self. She came to me with the same bathroom issues as you described, as well as wanting me to feed her (yes, scoop the food and put it in her mouth). We talked a lot about "independently" and my kids use that word all the time now (all 3yos haha). Really, the biggest influence was peer pressure. I made a big deal when the other kids would do stuff without help and slow but surely, she wanted to. Now, if I go NEAR the bathroom, she's like "No!! I can do it!!"

Have you tried a little peer pressure/really praising the more independent kids in front of her?
BentleysBands 05:13 AM 11-02-2010
glad to hear i'm not alone.

Yes, i praise everyone when something awesome happens but she doesnt seem to respond. she knows if she whines enough i will cave in and do it because i certainly do not want pee everywhere.

i've done stickers as well.

she is also my paci girl . drives me nuts cuz i'm constantly saying 'take the paci out of your mouth when you talk'

i just do not know what to do anymore other than pray for the best.
newtodaycare22 05:35 AM 11-02-2010
ughh I'm sorry, I hope something clicks in her head soon. How long has she been with you?
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 11-02-2010
I charge more if the child is not toilet trained by age 3. Seems to inspire parents to get the ball rolling. It might not be a solution for everyone, but it works for me. The kids either get trained or I get paid more because once a kids hits 3, their "poo" changes too. I also had a kid who was super attached to his paci. We told him he could have it whenever he wanted as long as he sat on the couch to use it. If he choose to get off, the paci had to stay behind. He sat for a long time at first and then gradually started to leave (without the paci) for longer periods of time until he suddenly no longer needed it any more. He would rather have gotten down and played. It had to be his choice I guess. He was 3 by the way. I would never have anyone do this unless they were loooong past the age for pacifier usage.
Reply Up