Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Enough Breakfast At Home
Unregistered 06:27 AM 05-22-2014
I have a bunch of kids that come in my door every am looking for 'snack' right away! they have supposedly already had breakfast. I have been feeding the equivelent of three meals and 2 snacks a day now for weeks...how do I address the need for a more filling breakfast at home?( a waffle alone is not wholesome) Do I just raise rates to cover the added meals?These kids are not getting protein in the am and can not make it from 8 am till lunch.When I give simple am sancks they still can't make it to lunch without something(which I've moved earlier to 11:15/30).And in the afternoon so I am not serving pm snacks for an hour we wait for the last school kid that comes in at 4...so again they are chomping at the bit for food. What is with these kids? On the other hand I have one preshooler here from 7:30 am till 5 most days that eats not one bite of anything most days.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 05-22-2014
I do not serve breakfast. I serve a LARGE snack at 9:00 (it's really breakfast but I don't say that to parents) and have it written in my policies that ALL children must come to care fed and able to wait until 9:00 when the next meal/snack is served.

If I had a child coming in and repeatedly asking for food before that time, I would simply tell the parent what's happening and ask them to feed their child a more wholesome and filling breakfast.
Heidi 07:29 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do not serve breakfast. I serve a LARGE snack at 9:00 (it's really breakfast but I don't say that to parents) and have it written in my policies that ALL children must come to care fed and able to wait until 9:00 when the next meal/snack is served.

If I had a child coming in and repeatedly asking for food before that time, I would simply tell the parent what's happening and ask them to feed their child a more wholesome and filling breakfast.
same here...
Unregistered 08:36 AM 05-22-2014
Good lord, why do we always blame the parents! The other morning my kiddo had a whole avacodo, a pb&j sandwich, a granola bar, and a glass of milk, and asked for cereal the minute she walked in the daycare door- and she's a tiny 3 year old who can still fit in 18mo pants. It's crazy.
sharlan 08:55 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Good lord, why do we always blame the parents! The other morning my kiddo had a whole avacodo, a pb&j sandwich, a granola bar, and a glass of milk, and asked for cereal the minute she walked in the daycare door- and she's a tiny 3 year old who can still fit in 18mo pants. It's crazy.
Why? Because many parents are in too big of a rush in the mornings to provide a decent breakfast. Many think a granola bar and a juice box will hold them over until lunch. I have one that often comes in with a yogurt drink box with Mom saying that was breakfast.
spinnymarie 09:09 AM 05-22-2014
I agree that I'd definitely ask the parent to feed the kid more before coming!
On a side note, I regularly tell my kids (DC and my own) that being hungry is OK. It means that you are ready to eat, and we will be eating soon (whatever meal is coming next).
I think kids get used to grazing at home. I know my own do, especially on the weekends. So they rarely get more than slightly hungry before eating again, and they need to know/understand/be reminded that hunger is totally normal and perfectly fine!
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 05-22-2014
How is any of this BLAMING parents?

I went back and re-read the posts previous to yours and no where did anyone say the parents were doing something wrong or point fingers at the parent.

The OP asked how to communicate her policies/routines to the parents...

Parents and providers need to work together.

A lot of times parents don't know or understand how things work at daycare and vice versa so effective communication is important.
rosieteddy 10:45 AM 05-22-2014
I have a child who was dropped off at 8) and parent said all he had was a vitamin. He waited until our usual 9:15 snack. I would send a notice home with all the parents reminding of your meal-snack times.Let them know that the children are coming in hungry. I would also tell the children they need to wait until snack time and stick to it.You may have to give an earlier snack until they get used to it. I also offer suggestions to parents about breakfast and even go as far as printing out a form listing meals .
cheerfuldom 10:51 AM 05-22-2014
i would remind all parents that you dont serve breakfast and snack isnt till X time. Tell each parent in person "Jr is very hungry by the time snack comes around and spends so much time asking for food instead of playing or joining in the activities. I thought I would let you know so you could make sure to get him a filling breakfast each morning"

Realize that A LOT of kids ask for food out of boredom. If you dont serve breakfast, just tell the child no, you have to wait. over and over and over till they stop asking. keep reminding parents that Jr is hungry over and over and over till they start feeding them better.

That said, some kids just eat all day and burn it all off and are constantly hungry no matter what you do, but that is more rare.
SquirrellyMama 10:51 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How is any of this BLAMING parents?

I went back and re-read the posts previous to yours and no where did anyone say the parents were doing something wrong or point fingers at the parent.

The OP asked how to communicate her policies/routines to the parents...

Parents and providers need to work together.

A lot of times parents don't know or understand how things work at daycare and vice versa so effective communication is important.
I think it could be seen as parent blaming because no one suggested that maybe the kids are not really in need of another breakfast. It is possible that they received a good breakfast, but know how to work the system.

The OP and one other response suggested telling the parents to give them a more filling breakfast, which they may already be doing.

Kelly
Annalee 10:54 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
It is possible that they received a good breakfast, but know how to work the system.

T
Children learn to work the system at a young age, too! I have a couple 2 yr olds that are ALWAYS pointing at the cabinet where the snacks are, but I do not necessarily think they are hungry.
renodeb 01:54 PM 05-22-2014
I think protein is really important. I'm probably the wrong person to answer this. I serve brk, lunch, and pm snack. I give a good sized breakfast at 8:30, lunch at 11:00, and pm snack at 3:30. Sometimes I will give them dry cheerios in the middle of the morning as a diversion. I would post a notice to address this issue or raise your rates to cover costs.
TwinKristi 02:07 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I think protein is really important. I'm probably the wrong person to answer this. I serve brk, lunch, and pm snack. I give a good sized breakfast at 8:30, lunch at 11:00, and pm snack at 3:30. Sometimes I will give them dry cheerios in the middle of the morning as a diversion. I would post a notice to address this issue or raise your rates to cover costs.
This is what I do too. I have one girl here at 7:15 and I know she probably hasn't eaten since waking at 6:30 and thrown in the car or just snacks on graham crackers in the car. I am on the food program so I have no problem feeding kids meals here. It's just when kids come after 8:30 and can't be part of breakfast and need a "meal" between 9 and 11:30am and not a snack. I don't usually do a big AM snack since I'm only getting 77 cents for it, so I would rather just do meals and snacks if needed.
Mom of 4 05:21 PM 05-22-2014
I have a bunch of kids that come in my door every am looking for 'snack' right away! they have supposedly already had breakfast. I have been feeding the equivelent of three meals and 2 snacks a day now for weeks...how do I address the need for a more filling breakfast at home?( a waffle alone is not wholesome) Do I just raise rates to cover the added meals?These kids are not getting protein in the am and can not make it from 8 am till lunch.When I give simple am sancks they still can't make it to lunch without something(which I've moved earlier to 11:15/30).And in the afternoon so I am not serving pm snacks for an hour we wait for the last school kid that comes in at 4...so again they are chomping at the bit for food. What is with these kids? On the other hand I have one preshooler here from 7:30 am till 5 most days that eats not one bite of anything most days.
Ok I'm a parent. My kids will ask everyone for a snack the second they step foot into their house. When quizzed on what they had for breakfast, they say "cereal". They "forget" to say Cereal with some applesauce and milk! Heck, sometimes, they "conveniently " "can't remember" what they've had to eat at all, pausing and saying "uhhhhhhh"

To which the sucker provider wants to give them a snack. IN the case of my kids, it's a scam!!! LOL They would be eating ALL day if you let them and they are ALWAYS hungry! To the point their school questioned if they were getting enough at home and offered us some assistance. The day my son told the school he didn't get dinner the night before, I had to explain that he DID get dinner, but, because he didn't like what we were eating, he took bites and said he was "full" (Full, my arse). That was Chicken patty sandwich night, fries, green beans and milk. lol
craftymissbeth 05:33 PM 05-22-2014
I agree with the others that say that they very well may not be hungry.

Do you serve am snack every day?

I think if you're serving an adequate snack at 8, lunch at 11:30, and then pm snack at 4 you're fine. My kids don't eat breakfast at home before they come and we eat a light breakfast at 8. Our breakfasts are really just a larger snack with milk (a grain, a fruit, and milk).

Since your kids are barely making it between lunch and pm snack I think they're either playing you or are just big eaters.
KiddieCahoots 05:40 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Mom of 4:
The day my son told the school he didn't get dinner the night before, I had to explain that he DID get dinner, but, because he didn't like what we were eating
What are you feeding them? If it's more on the side of kid desirable food, then maybe their holding out to eat your food. Maybe try switching out what your feeding them now for substitutes like spinach or healthier foods, and see what happens?
NightOwl 06:38 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I have a child who was dropped off at 8) and parent said all he had was a vitamin. He waited until our usual 9:15 snack. I would send a notice home with all the parents reminding of your meal-snack times.Let them know that the children are coming in hungry. I would also tell the children they need to wait until snack time and stick to it.You may have to give an earlier snack until they get used to it. I also offer suggestions to parents about breakfast and even go as far as printing out a form listing meals .
That vitamin, without food, could upset his tummy! Mom should give him something, anything to go with it.
NightOwl 06:43 PM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
What are you feeding them? If it's more on the side of kid desirable food, then maybe their holding out to eat your food. Maybe try switching out what your feeding them now for substitutes like spinach or healthier foods, and see what happens?
Excellent idea! If the children aren't really hungry, then I bet they'd be magically full when you offer them celery with cream cheese or something similar.
itlw8 07:26 PM 05-22-2014
11:15 to 4 is a long time to go so they are probably starving 3 hours is what is normally recommended and that is almost 5 hours.

Most people do not eat protein for breakfast and when they do it is high fat high sodium like bacon or ham, unless they make eggs. It would be best if they did but they do not.

The time is confusing to me because you said you have been serving 3 meals and 2 snacks yet you say they can not make it from 8 to 11:15 to eat... well if they arrive at 8 and did eat at home that would have been 7 they had to eat if they were awake long enough to eat enough that is still 4 hour + hours until lunch so yes they are starving.

What time do they get up from nap? I would serve the littles then so maybe 3 and then put the school age snacks aside so it is ready when they all get there at 4. and yes I think you either need to serve breakfast or a morning snack about 9
kitykids3 09:02 PM 05-22-2014
So are you only feeding them every 4 hours (original plan, at 8, 12 and 4)? Four hours is too long for little tummies to go without eating. Food Program says no more than 3 hours at a time. I give them breakfast at 8:30, lunch at 11:30 and snack at 2:30 and my kiddos for the most part do fine. THey do get seconds on everything except meat. I rarely have a kiddo chomping at the bit and do they really want EVERYTHING you serve, such as the healthier stuff like salad, green veggies, etc? Orjust more of particular things. If you are feeding them at 8 and they come starving, suggest to parents they may need more, or something, to eat before coming.
playground1 02:49 AM 05-23-2014
We have a permanent bowl of fresh cut up vegetables (carrots, cucumbers and red peppers) that the kids can have whenever they want, they just have to sit at the table. Also, I find a lot of kids don't drink enough water and thirst can sometimes be confused with hunger so providing water might be helpful.
Play Care 05:48 AM 05-23-2014
Ok I'm a parent. My kids will ask everyone for a snack the second they step foot into their house. When quizzed on what they had for breakfast, they say "cereal". They "forget" to say Cereal with some applesauce and milk! Heck, sometimes, they "conveniently " "can't remember" what they've had to eat at all, pausing and saying "uhhhhhhh"

To which the sucker provider wants to give them a snack. IN the case of my kids, it's a scam!!! LOL They would be eating ALL day if you let them and they are ALWAYS hungry! To the point their school questioned if they were getting enough at home and offered us some assistance. The day my son told the school he didn't get dinner the night before, I had to explain that he DID get dinner, but, because he didn't like what we were eating, he took bites and said he was "full" (Full, my arse). That was Chicken patty sandwich night, fries, green beans and milk. lol
Um, the reason the provider might be "suckered" is because the majority of times kids are NOT getting fed. I can't tell you how many times I've had a parent come in after breakfast is served telling me "we didn't have a chance to eat, can they have something here?" Or they don't say anything but run out the door as they are dropping off so we can't even ask

As a parent, when my own children pull that business, I am proactive and tell the teacher what the deal is so they don't have to try to guess on top of the hundred other things they need to do/get done.
Unregistered 06:24 PM 05-23-2014

I like you! I love that you've got your kids figured out! My DD was a scam artist as well!
Mom of 4 11:06 AM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Um, the reason the provider might be "suckered" is because the majority of times kids are NOT getting fed. I can't tell you how many times I've had a parent come in after breakfast is served telling me "we didn't have a chance to eat, can they have something here?" Or they don't say anything but run out the door as they are dropping off so we can't even ask

As a parent, when my own children pull that business, I am proactive and tell the teacher what the deal is so they don't have to try to guess on top of the hundred other things they need to do/get done.
LOL I mean with MINE. I always feel bad for their teachers because of course, the teachers have hearts...and my kids KNOW it.

If a parent is not getting their chidl food, then that is a serious issue.

When I did my daycare, a parent tried that twice. Same lady too! First time, she had a waffle with peanut butter she wanted me to feed the kid. I made her turn around and feed her own kid in the car (Cant' even have nuts here) The second time, I told her that breakfast was over (we served at 6:30-7:30) she was late dropping off (9AM!) and she would have to feed the child something to hold over til snack (10:45). Lunch was at 1pm. She got it after I turned her away.
Laurel 04:30 PM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I do this also but not the Cheerios part.

To me, I'd rather know that whining, crying or bad behavior (from those who can't talk) is NOT from being hungry. At least that is one thing you can eliminate as a source of stress in your day. I was getting tired of children coming in with some kind of breakfast bar in their hand half eaten or parents coming in saying "I just couldn't get him to eat this morning." So I just feed them.

Laurel
MarinaVanessa 06:04 PM 05-24-2014
Oh my, I'm probably the only one here but I serve
7am Breakfast
9am AM Snack
11am Lunch
3pm PM snack
5pm Supper (what I served for lunch again)

The only reason why I have such a huge gap between lunch and PM snack is because after lunch I take a preschooler to school and we do story and nap when we get back. I wake the kids at 2pm and do diapers and the others go potty. Then at 2:20 I go back and pick the preschooler back up then we have PM snack when we get back.

I feel like my daycare kidos can't go more than 2 hours without eating at least a small snack.

I also know all about kids saying they're hungry when they're not. My DD did the same thing. She ate at home, at daycare, at preschool, at daycare again and at home and always told the last person that she was hungry and didn't eat at the last place. There were 3 or 4 days that she threw up from being so full of food because we were all feeding her. Just have a talk with the parents and say you just want to make sure the child is eating.
SillyGrl 10:37 PM 05-27-2014
My oldest is very tiny, he's always been one of the smallest kids in his grade level. When he was in first grade, I got an angry call from the school nurse a couple of months into the school year telling me I needed to make sure he got breakfast every morning, or send him to school early enough to eat the breakfast they served there. Turns out, he found out that the nurse kept things like those cuties oranges and graham crackers for the students who came to her without breakfast. He had been going to her every morning for months!!

I think in the OP's case, maybe a letter letting all parents know that several of the kids have been complaining of being hungry as soon as they arrive at daycare and that snack isn't served until xx:xx. Or, just let the parents know at pick up that their kid was complaining of hunger that morning.
Tags:breakfast, parents - are clueless
Reply Up