Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going Back To Work- Interviewing Daycares
Logged out for privacy 06:35 PM 09-20-2012
Planning on going back to working out of the home in the next month or so. My husband and I are starting to look at daycares.

Should I be up front and say I am a provider or would that scare some people off and leave us with less options?

Should I wait until I am ready to enroll to tell people that?

WWYD?

Also, I am very comfortable with how I run things here, but what major things should I look for? It is going to be hard ( at first )for me to send my kid to someone else since I have done this for so long. I don't want to sound over protective but I know thats how I will come across. Suggestions.
rhymia1 05:35 AM 09-21-2012
I would not tell them you are a provider, but just that you are going back to work. The nice thing is that you would know what to look for
I only say the first because I've heard many providers say that former providers tend to be their worst clients - paying late, picking up late, etc. I'm not sure why that is
Good Luck!
lovemykidstoo 05:39 AM 09-21-2012
At first thought I thought, why not tell them that you're a provider. Then I thought more about it and thought when I talked with people initially like over the phone, I don't ask the parent what they do for a living until later in the interview process. If you worked at a grocery store for instance, would you call a daycare provider and tell them that? If it's only because you're a provider now then I wouldn't bother. It should have no bearing on you looking for care. So what made you decide to stop doing daycare? Where will you be working?
SimpleMom 07:32 AM 09-21-2012
It is a scary process, huh? I would keep an eye on how the teachers/providers interact with the kids. Try to go unannounced and view. If they know you are coming, they will get everything in order and keep the room as calm as possible (speaking as an ex-teacher).
You want to see how they handle situations that are not "controlled". Ask what kind of education they have, look for referrals from friends, and really watch how they interact with you and your child at the interview. Hope that helps. I've been the interviewee, interviewer as well. I know it's hard. Go with your gut in the end. You will know.
Unregistered 07:29 PM 09-22-2012
I am going back to work because of health insurance. We have none. I dont make enough to pay for ins for our family.
crazydaycarelady 04:18 PM 09-23-2012
Can't you just say you are starting a new job and talk about what you WILL be doing while you need childcare instead of what you were doing before?
Tags:disclosure during interview, provider looking for care
Reply Up