Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Saving Time In Morning! Do You Dress Your Kid At Night For His Daycare?
Unregistered 05:29 AM 02-03-2013
Finally i found a home daycare for my kids, BUT it 30 min from home and then mre 25 min to my husband work as he will transport them. it is almost one hour from home to DC then from DC to his work. I am thinking how can I save time in morning so husband can do this journey without being late for work on 7 am. Does dressing kids at night the clothes they will go to DC with sound a good idea? Any suggestions for similar situations and how to manage?
daycarediva 08:05 AM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Finally i found a home daycare for my kids, BUT it 30 min from home and then mre 25 min to my husband work as he will transport them. it is almost one hour from home to DC then from DC to his work. I am thinking how can I save time in morning so husband can do this journey without being late for work on 7 am. Does dressing kids at night the clothes they will go to DC with sound a good idea? Any suggestions for similar situations and how to manage?
Well, do you really want your child in the same clothes from 8pm one day to 8pm the next? Does your child wet through? Honestly, it takes about 5 minutes to change a diaper and dress a child. I would get a diaper, wipes and clothes out the night before and put it on child's nightstand/dresser. Wake up kiddo, change and dress them.
Unregistered 08:31 AM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Well, do you really want your child in the same clothes from 8pm one day to 8pm the next? Does your child wet through? Honestly, it takes about 5 minutes to change a diaper and dress a child. I would get a diaper, wipes and clothes out the night before and put it on child's nightstand/dresser. Wake up kiddo, change and dress them.
What happened is that when I wake them early in the morning the just cray and refuse to dress! they hide in the bed corner and refuse to dress, It takes about 45 min with massive crying and resistance every day. How can I make it smooth and easy?
Angelsj 09:20 AM 02-03-2013
There are so many other hills to die on. If your kid is in comfy clothes ( I would not let a child sleep in jeans), who really cares?
Assuming you get a clean diaper on the child, they don't smell like urine and they don't show up soaked, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
One child might only take 5 mins...though honestly, I haven't met one you could change and dress in 5 mins. If you have 3 or 4 kids to get ready, you are looking at an hour at best.
daycarediva 10:33 AM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
There are so many other hills to die on. If your kid is in comfy clothes ( I would not let a child sleep in jeans), who really cares?
Assuming you get a clean diaper on the child, they don't smell like urine and they don't show up soaked, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
One child might only take 5 mins...though honestly, I haven't met one you could change and dress in 5 mins. If you have 3 or 4 kids to get ready, you are looking at an hour at best.
I have 4 kids, it takes me 30 minutes to get them all up & ready for the day, including brushing teeth.
MarinaVanessa 10:46 AM 02-03-2013
If you think that dressing your child the night before would save you time then go ahead but like other's have said ... if your child smells of urine (which often happens to PJ's after being in an overnight diaper), is wet etc. then you should still change your child once again. Kids should always arrive clean, in a fresh diaper and at least have had some sort of meal or snack (bottle for babies) so as long as your child is all of those I don't see a problem with dressing your child in regular clothes before bed.

Personally I would just get up earlier to dress my child (or have my DH get up earlier if I was already gone in the morning by that time). I'd have my child's things ready the night before like his clothes and fresh diaper ready as daycarediva suggested and any other items that my child needed (bottle filled with milk already on the counter so I just needed to add the formula, diaper bag packed and supplied and sitting by the door, car-seat ready etc). If I was still home when my husband left then I would take over being the one to dress my child.

You can also ask your DC provider how she would feel if your child was dropped off in jammies in the mornings but in a fresh diaper. If she agreed then at least that way all you had to worry about would be to change your child out of his diaper and to give him/her a bottle/breakfast (if hungry) before they left. It sounds like your child is being dropped off at 6:30am so it's still pretty early. I let me DCK's be brought in jammies if they arrive before 7:30am but only if they are in fresh diapers. You can always ask and see how your DC provider feels about it. If she says no however you should respect that. Not all providers allow kids to be dropped off in jammies.
fairymama 11:33 AM 02-03-2013
If they are potty trained, i think that would be ok.
Angelsj 11:50 AM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have 4 kids, it takes me 30 minutes to get them all up & ready for the day, including brushing teeth.
Congratulations, you are awesome. I am not a morning person, and it takes me 30 mins to open my eyes, much less dress kids.
It would also depend on age, self help skills, whether they are morning people (the kiddos), so many other things. I have one mom that gets up an hour early and she only has ONE to try to dress.
Loveyoustinkyface 12:35 PM 02-03-2013
I have an elementary aged child that has ALWAYS worn her school/daycare clothes to bed. It saves me the battle of "I don't want to wear these" AND "these pants/shirt makes me itch". So wearing them at night after bath she knows if they are going to be ok for her.

If your children aren't potty trained or wear diapers then I would double check them in the a.m. that they don't smell like urine.

I lay everything out on the table for breakfast also...bowls, spoons, cups and napkins. The table is set in the morning, all I need to do is get the cereal out and add milk and OJ!

Good luck!
C'est la vie. 01:09 PM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ew. You're kidding right?
No this is not a viable option. I would consider it gross.
You change your routine. Work with your children. Wake up earlier. Connect with your kids so that EVERYTHING isn't such a battle.
I would prefer kids be delievered in pajamas and I change them, then let them stay in clothing like that overnight and all day. It feels way too lazy for me. Where do you work that getting your children dressed in the am isn't an option?
Angelsj 03:37 PM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by C'est la vie.:
Ew. You're kidding right?
No this is not a viable option. I would consider it gross.
You change your routine. Work with your children. Wake up earlier. Connect with your kids so that EVERYTHING isn't such a battle.
I would prefer kids be delievered in pajamas and I change them, then let them stay in clothing like that overnight and all day. It feels way too lazy for me. Where do you work that getting your children dressed in the am isn't an option?
How many kids of your own do you have C'est la vie?
Blackcat31 03:41 PM 02-03-2013
If it works for you....go for it. Who cares if they are in Pj's or comfy clothes from the night before as long as they are clean.

Like Angelsj said...there are bigger more important battles to fight over.

This is clearly not one of them.

However, does your new provider have issues with this or is she ok with them arriving in their slept in clothing? Perhaps she would be willing to dress them if you just dropped them off in their pj's?

Talk with your new provider and see if you can work things out between the two of you.

NONE of our opinions matter as much as your new providers and yours do.
itlw8 04:28 PM 02-03-2013
Not only is it ok but I have suggested it to parents who had a difficult child. soft pants , knit shirt. they still look fine in the morning.

So why is this gross ? It is not like a child is doing anything in bed that would smell in the morning

And of course the OP would change a wet diaper. change the clothes if the child had an accident. If a child smelled like urine in the morning dressing in new clothes would not be enough a bath would be needed.

So yes it it saves fuss I had had moms dress all except shoes LOL
youretooloud 08:03 AM 02-04-2013
My kids are all very little. They sleep in long johns in the winter, and wear them all day the next day.

In the summer, they sleep in undies, and then get stuffed into shorts before they wake up.

I would not mind at all if my kids always wore jammies... whatever is comfortable. I won't change all of their clothes for them. But, I don't mind what they wear.
cheerfuldom 08:40 AM 02-04-2013
I dont see a problem with the plan as long as it works for your provider.

I would be more concerned about the fact that your kids throw a 45 minute fit for a simple task like dressing. I would also be concerned with the fact that they are spending a lot of time away from home with the long car rides plus days at daycare. I realize that sometimes you have to make hard choices but i would keep looking for other daycare options and working on doing daily tasks without the kids fighting about such a simple thing.
Heidi 08:44 AM 02-04-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
My kids are all very little. They sleep in long johns in the winter, and wear them all day the next day.

In the summer, they sleep in undies, and then get stuffed into shorts before they wake up.

I would not mind at all if my kids always wore jammies... whatever is comfortable. I won't change all of their clothes for them. But, I don't mind what they wear.
since most kids get baths at night, they'd be clean when they got in those clothes. I don't see a problem, either, unless they are also wet.

OP-How old are your children?

Like Blackcat said, no matter what we say, I would talk to your provider. Maybe you can bring them in jammies. If I had kids arrive that early, they'd go right back to bed for an hour. I wouldn't even WANT them wide awake.
LK5kids 06:07 PM 02-04-2013
Years ago I had a mom who had to bring her kids @ 5:30 am. She would put them in clean sweatshirt and sweatpants each night and that is what they slept in and then came to my house dressed in.

These kids were potty trained.

I thought it was a great idea!
saved4always 01:42 PM 02-05-2013
I don't see anything wrong with dressing them in comfy pants and a shirt at night and for them to wear the same clothes to daycare in the morning. But, you should always change them out of the nightime diaper and, if the clothing is stinky in the morning, you should change that, too. I used to work outside my home when my kids were little. I know any shortcut can mean the difference between running on time or being late every morning. It would also be a good idea to get everything possible ready the night before: breakfast foods as ready as possible, table set, bags packed, etc.

To be honest, there where times back when I did daycare in my home that I showered in the evening, put on my yoga pants and tshirt to sleep in and, if I hit the snooze too many times, I rolled out of bed, put on a bra, brushed my teeth, and answered my door to the first family to arrive. Those kind of clothes look the same if you just put them on or if you sleep in them. None of my parents even paid attention to what I was wearing. Especially at 6:40 a.m.
crazydaycarelady 11:10 AM 02-21-2013
It sounds to me like she is trying to avoid a fight in the morning. Better to start the day off right I think. I'd just dress them the night before. First I'd ask the provider if you can bring them in jammies and have her change them. I have a few that do this and I don't mind a bit.
KnoxMom 12:24 PM 02-21-2013
How old are your children and are they potty trained? I have a 2 yr old and 3 yr old and have never considered this an option except on a designated Pajama Day. We take baths at 7:30 PM, do story time and try to be down by 8 PM. I'm concerned that the fussy behavior in the morning is reflective of not having enough sleep. My kids wake up like clockwork around 6:00 AM. I would suggest setting a consistent routing so there are no surprises in the morning. I'm not sure how your little ones are, but I know when mine wake up they could use a little freshening up I lay their clothes out the night before on the floor in the order they put them on. When we wake up, we send them to the potty, use baby wipes and lotion to freshen them up and then send them separately into their rooms to get dressed. By the time we get ourselves ready, we are able to come back and help them with their last pieces (backward shirts, inside out socks, etc.) and brush teeth. I think with a little discipline and a clear idea of what comes next, your little troopers can be much more helpful than you think ;-)
kimmills 10:35 AM 06-18-2013
Congratulations, you are awesome. I am not a morning person, and it takes me 30 mins to open my eyes, much less dress kids.
It would also depend on age, self help skills, whether they are morning people (the kiddos), so many other things. I have one mom that gets up an hour early and she only has ONE to try to dress.
Same here, finally I found someone like me. :P But yes, to get my kids ready I get up early in the morning.

I prefer my kids to go neat and clean with clean ironed clothes, and for this I have to sacrifice my sleep.
Unregistered 02:16 PM 06-18-2013
I agree with this! I don't let my kids sleep in jeans either, but have let them dress the night before in comfortable type clothes. They don't pee anymore, so I never saw a big deal, especially since they are bathed each night before bed. It REALLY helps when you have kindergartners who are grouchy and drag in the am. to get ready. I have 4 kids and mine take up to 30 minutes to get dressed, brush teeth & hair and potty. That is when they WANT to. If they're tired or grumpy, forget it!
Rachel 09:58 AM 06-19-2013
My friend used to do that. She had 3 or 4 littles to dress in the morning.

My son is in my daycare, but I often don't get around to changing his clothes until the mid morning. He never smells like urine, his diaper isn't full / doesn't leak. Obviously if the diaper leaks I change him, but you would never know he slept in his clothes unless I told you (he's almost 11 months old).
Tags:morning routine, preparing children, sleeping in clothes
Reply Up