Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>22 Minutes Late...
Brooksie 02:52 PM 10-09-2013
....and counting.... so annoying. Its almost dinner time and I haven't even run my errands yet.
daycarediva 02:57 PM 10-09-2013
Have you sent a text or phone call?

Being late without any notification is the RUDEST thing I have encountered in this biz, and it happens ALL THE TIME!
Brooksie 03:01 PM 10-09-2013
I hadn't received any call or text. I sent a text to dcm after 20 min, heard nothing and just called dcd and he sounded very surprised. He thought dcm had the seat and was picking up. Still haven't heard from mom but dad is on his way. I'm pretty ticked off.
crazydaycarelady 03:05 PM 10-09-2013
So frustrating - especially when you have things you need to be doing! It never fails on a night I have plans that someone will be late!
MyAngels 03:23 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
It never fails on a night I have plans that someone will be late!
I think that's the Murphy's Law of daycare providers .
littlemissmuffet 03:40 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I think that's the Murphy's Law of daycare providers .
It absolutely is.

Brooksie, hope the parent comes soon and you give him/her royal... you know what!
Brooksie 03:48 PM 10-09-2013
$60.00 late fee.
JoseyJo 03:51 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
$60.00 late fee.

daycarediva 04:00 PM 10-09-2013
$60.00 late fee.
Hope they never do that again!
Mister Sir Husband 04:36 PM 10-09-2013
I'm not open yet but can see the light.. hopefully will have my license in a couple more weeks. I do have what might be a small problem (for the parents anyways, not so much for me) as far as late pickups go. One day a week I leave at 5:10 or so to drop off my stepson at his dads house. Is only about a 20 min drive, but if the parent is running late and I can't reach them to get an eta.. I might have to take their child for a ride.
LaLa1923 07:49 PM 10-09-2013
I hope you charged them!!
blandino 07:56 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I'm not open yet but can see the light.. hopefully will have my license in a couple more weeks. I do have what might be a small problem (for the parents anyways, not so much for me) as far as late pickups go. One day a week I leave at 5:10 or so to drop off my stepson at his dads house. Is only about a 20 min drive, but if the parent is running late and I can't reach them to get an eta.. I might have to take their child for a ride.
There was a thread on the parents forum about a situation very similar to this, a few months ago. A Parent was late coming to get their son, and the provider had packed up and drove to her son's sports game. The parent was irate. It got heated & long story short - I would have a waiver in file that specifically states that while you don't transport during daycare hours, at 5:10 in the dot you retain the right to transport children.
se7en 07:58 PM 10-09-2013
I hope nothing happened to mom, like an accident. That s sounds odd that she didn't answer her phone.
Mister Sir Husband 08:03 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
There was a thread on the parents forum about a situation very similar to this, a few months ago. A Parent was late coming to get their son, amd the provider had packed up and gine ti her son's sports game. the parent was irate. It got heated & long story short - I would have a waiver in file that specifically states that while you don't transport during daycare hours, at 5:10 in the dot you retain the right to transport children.
Oh I completely agree..all my parents will have the days I need to get out of here at a specific time. And if I know they are on the way I can possibly wait a couple extra min.. or even possibly bring their child to them if they live in the direction I'm going or want to meet me somewhere. My thoughts now of course are if I hear nothing from them and can't get them on the phone, and say they arrive 5 min after I leave.. how hard do I hit em with late fees
blandino 08:27 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
Oh I completely agree..all my parents will have the days I need to get out of here at a specific time. And if I know they are on the way I can possibly wait a couple extra min.. or even possibly bring their child to them if they live in the direction I'm going or want to meet me somewhere. My thoughts now of course are if I hear nothing from them and can't get them on the phone, and say they arrive 5 min after I leave.. how hard do I hit em with late fees
MarinaVanessa (I am 99% sure it is her) has an excellent policy about leaving with a child when parents are late, and how to meet them to hand off the child etc. I will try and find it for you.
Mister Sir Husband 08:40 PM 10-09-2013
MarinaVanessa (I am 99% sure it is her) has an excellent policy about leaving with a child when parents are late, and how to meet them to hand off the child etc. I will try and find it for you.
Excellent.. thanks..
Brooksie 05:04 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by se7en:
I hope nothing happened to mom, like an accident. That s sounds odd that she didn't answer her phone.
She's a social worker. Apparently she was in the middle of counseling an emergency. But that was my thought too.
Brooksie 05:07 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I hope you charged them!!
Definitely did. Hopefully it wont happen again
Brooksie 03:43 PM 10-10-2013
Guess who walked in the door at 5:32 today? So annoying. After a $60.00 late fee you think they would have picked up EARLY or at least before I closed.
Mister Sir Husband 03:46 PM 10-10-2013
Must be a learning curve ..
daycare 03:53 PM 10-10-2013
So how late where they? Do you close at 5??
Michael 03:55 PM 10-10-2013
Is this it? https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33410

VanessaMarina:

I recommend you put a stop to this right away. Make sure that your FT rates are cheaper than PT rates and that drop-in rates are more expensive than PT. For example this is how I charge: FT $160/week for 30-50 hours ($3.20/hr), PT $108/week for 29 hours or less ($3.72/hr) and drop-in is $40/day for 10 hours max ($4/hr) or $5/hr if they want to be part of the day.

They should reserve the time they want and stick to it otherwise they should still pay for the whole amount. PM me your email address and I'll send you my drop-in contract to give you some ideas. You can change things around to fit your needs better but these people are taking advantage of you.

I think that if they agreed to your terms already any money that they've accumulated in late fees should be paid, if you want to renegotiate their rate then fine BUT you and they already had an agreement and now they want to change it, you didn't agree to change it before they started accumulating late fees so I feel like they owe you that $.

They need to understand that although you only have them as a client you are not available to them whenever they want at their convenience. If this is the type of service that they want then they can pay extra for this. Tell them that you need to know what days they will be coming and what times, otherwise they need to call you each and every morning to ask you if you are available for care and not out doing errands, paying bills, getting your hair done, visiting a friend, at a knitting convention ... whatever. Tell them that if you don't have a client scheduled YOU ARE CLOSED.

And ... DO NOT take their child if they are not caught up with all payments including late fees. Require these to be paid daily at pick-up or ... NO PAY, NO STAY.

Trust me. I've been in your shoes. Have drop-in clients sign a contract.
Brooksie 03:56 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
So how late where they? Do you close at 5??
No, I close at 5:30, but everyone knows they need to be out of the door by 5:30, not walking in and definitely not later than. 2 minutes isn't bad. But considering yesterday I was surprised they were late at all. Although maybe I shouldn't have.
daycare 05:04 PM 10-10-2013
No, I close at 5:30, but everyone knows they need to be out of the door by 5:30, not walking in and definitely not later than. 2 minutes isn't bad. But considering yesterday I was surprised they were late at all. Although maybe I shouldn't have.
oh no, I agree...... I tell parents I close at 6, that does not mean get here at 6, that means I am done working at 6pm and am closed.......
MyAngels 05:22 PM 10-10-2013
Guess who walked in the door at 5:32 today? So annoying. After a $60.00 late fee you think they would have picked up EARLY or at least before I closed.
You should probably have a talk with her about establishing a back up plan for those days when she's unavoidably detained. I've had parents in the past who occasionally ran into this problem because of the nature of their work but they always had someone else who could come if they could not make it.

I have no problems with late pick ups and never have because I insist that they be on time, or have someone who can be here if they can't be.
Brooksie 05:44 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
You should probably have a talk with her about establishing a back up plan for those days when she's unavoidably detained. I've had parents in the past who occasionally ran into this problem because of the nature of their work but they always had someone else who could come if they could not make it.

I have no problems with late pick ups and never have because I insist that they be on time, or have someone who can be here if they can't be.
I guess I should mention DCD is not working right now.. Yesterday, and today he was home. Not to say he doesn't have things to do... but come'on
Tags:late pick up fee, late pickup
Reply Up