Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation Days for Families....
MARSTELAC 08:00 AM 08-19-2011
....I offer many of these per year per family (after 3 months enrollment...and they do not carry-over to the next year...use it or lose it type of thing).
I give up to 10 days for them to use (depending on how many days per week they are enrolled).

I also take UP to 7 paid days and UP to 6 paid holidays.

How, after all of these years, can I do away with the paid days and just have straight tuition. It will be much easier, I think.

Please help me out!
CheekyChick 09:03 AM 08-19-2011
I get paid federal holidays - no paid vacation days.

I also give my parents (after 6 months) 1 tuition free week per year, regardless of if they are full or part time.
Mom&Provider 09:43 AM 08-19-2011
That's tough to change, but I know it's pretty standard in alot of settings.

I currently offer part-time families 5 days and full-time families 10 days...plus they don't pay me for any time I might take off either. I offer the days off partially so I don't get as many sick kids coming in...they know they have the days to use, so I try to encourage them when their kids are sick!
MyAngels 11:09 AM 08-19-2011
I've been thinking about doing this recently, too. I was not planning on raising my rates this year, so I am thinking about sending out a notice that, rather than raising my rates I have decided to do away with unpaid vacation time for families. Hopefully no one will put up a fuss about it .
Mom_of_two 11:12 AM 08-19-2011
I take paid holidays, and 5 days paid vacay 5 days unpaid (all planned vacay).
I do not charge if I have to close for unplanned reasons like illness.
I give each family 5 days to use with no charge when their child is gone.
mismatchedsocks 11:24 AM 08-19-2011
I have paid holidays, and my one week a year is UNpaid.

I have it written that if you are in contract for 5 days, you get 5 days a year that you can take. I write it so that its leave time, not vacation time, and stress using it for sick days, etc. If you have a 2 day a week contract then you get 2 days, etc.
mismatchedsocks 11:26 AM 08-19-2011
Here is my wording::

Leave Time: All parents are given leave time equal to the number of days contracted for in a week. For example, a family that is enrolled for 5 days each week is allowed to take up to 5 days, per year, off without financial responsibility to the daycare. Leave time is given primarily to encourage parents to tend the needs of their sick child at home. In addition, we ask for a phone call letting me know if your child will not be attending. However after the days are taken or we do not get notice you will be responsible for 100% of the weekly pay. You must let me know if you are using your leave time for this day when you call. If you have no more leave time then you will be responsible for 100% of this time. Lil’ Rugrats may close for up to 5 days a year. You do not have to pay for these days that we are closed. We will let you know 2 weeks or more in advance by letter. If we are extremely ill or contagious, I will call you and let you know. If we feel up to it, we will watch your children at your discretion. The days that Lil’ Rugrats are closed for sickness, you do not need to pay for care. The center is closed on the following holidays. New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. These are paid holidays.
rjskids 11:51 AM 08-19-2011
I've just started this summer so my original policy was that they pay what they are contracted, no matter what. But I can completely see these parents bringing sick kids because of that, especially into the flu season. So is it an awkward time of year to change my policy? Or can I say "during the school season" you will be given 5 credit days?
broncomom1973 05:33 PM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by rjskids:
I've just started this summer so my original policy was that they pay what they are contracted, no matter what. But I can completely see these parents bringing sick kids because of that, especially into the flu season. So is it an awkward time of year to change my policy? Or can I say "during the school season" you will be given 5 credit days?
CHANGE IT NOW!!! LOL. Im just kidding. Well, not really. I actually just changed my policy from 5 vacation/sick days to 10 days per family because the 5 sick days was not cutting it. When my families start running out of days and send their kids because they know they have to pay for daycare anyway, my own kids end up getting it (which first and foremost is worrisome to me) and then I have to close down for who knows how long forcing other families to find alternative care. It isnt a monetary thing to me so much as I cant stand to watch my kids suffer when they are ill and I worry excessively. I would rather the parents keep their kids home away from my kids and the other daycare kids. I cringe when I know little "johnny" or whoever has been home puking for 3 straight days and mom says "oh, he hasnt done it in 24 hours" and then little johnny comes and 2 days later everyone else is vomiting. It drives me nuts. If I can give any incentive to not bring sick kiddos, I will.

Two years ago during H1N1, I had the first pediatric case in my daycare. He was only 8 mos old and there had only been 1 reported adult case in our county at that time. DCB's mom did NOT tell me that he had a fever that a.m. and that she gave him tylenol. I got him up from his nap and he was running a pretty substantial fever and sounded congested. I called her and when she picked him up I told her that I didnt want to alarm her but there was 1 case in our county and although I doubted he had H1N1 to keep a close eye on his fever and breathing (she is young and this is her 1st). I pretty much freaked when she called me the next morning and told me that he had tested positive for influenza A (which I knew was most likely H1N1). I used to do the nasal influenza swabs when I worked as a lab nurse and knew that the A's were 99% probable for H1N1. He was admitted to the hospital for a couple of days and after he was dismissed, I told her no charge to keep him home as long as possible (grandma kept him).

Honestly, I would change your policy to say during flu season you will allot each family 5 days in an attempt to minimize illness in your daycare for both the childrens sake and your sake. I would mention that if sick children stay home that hopefully you and your family wont get it and you wont have to close your facility. It costs them too when they have to find alternative care. Good luck
momma2girls 05:45 PM 08-19-2011
I have never allowed free vacation days for the families. They are holding their fulltime spot here every day.
I do receive paid Holidays
Tags:paid holidays, tuition, vacation - parents
Reply Up