Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have you ever had a parent negotiate you between you and another provider?
daycare 10:23 AM 08-12-2011
I have a daycare family that has one child with me and their younger child in another local family daycare becuase of age. I only take 2yrs and up. Well the younger child has just turned 2 and the family has began a back and forth price/hours negotiation with me and the other provider.

The family has been with me for over a year and it was always a plan that when the younger turned 2 for him to come here with the older sibling. The DCM came to me at the start of the week requesting specific rates and hours. Said she was going to give noitce to whichever provider could not meet her needs. I was a little taken back that she came right out and said that, but I guess she was looking for a bargin. I basically told her, you know my program and my prices, take it or leave it....

Have any of you guys ever had this happen to you before? Also, she is requesting that her 2year old get the old client rate of $50.00 per day instead of $55.00 per day....Should I bend on this?
daysofelijah 10:28 AM 08-12-2011
I've had a couple parents try this. I never gave in and they always stayed with me. Some people like to haggle on prices like this is a garage sale or something. I wouldn't give in in this situation.
laundrymom 10:28 AM 08-12-2011
Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord ,.......
daycare 10:36 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord ,.......
lol.... I hear ya!!
I do feel like this family is looking at me like I am a garage sale item. I honestly don't really think you could put a price on the saftey and well being of your child. Also, my program offers a TON more than the other provider....Yes I am tooting my own horn...lol

So don't budge on the price??
AnneCordelia 10:42 AM 08-12-2011
I had a DCM try. She was interviewing for her two kids...she said that she was interviewing a few daycares and one across town said they'd take the 2nd child for $15/day less than regular price. I said, I'm sorry but this is what I offer and I can't discount my prices because I offer a quality program.

They ended up coming to me regardless. I wouldn't discount and I wouldn't bargain.
cheerfuldom 10:48 AM 08-12-2011
Don't bargain. It sets a precedence. Plus $5 cheaper a day really adds up! Thats $35 a week, $140 a month!
daycare 10:54 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Don't bargain. It sets a precedence. Plus $5 cheaper a day really adds up! Thats $35 a week, $140 a month!
very good way of looking at it.. I am going to make a point of this when I talk to the DCm later today..
youretooloud 11:11 AM 08-12-2011
I'm going through something similar right now. I'm extremely bitter over it too.

I haven't slept well in two nights since she pulled that crap.

She doesn't want a price change. But, she wants me to spend 30 minutes a day teaching her son to "Write, cut and color in the lines. No more painting, no more free play". She wants workbooks and worksheets.

Number one, I do not believe in color and cut preschool programs. I am play based, creative based "It's the process not the product" type of person. I do NOT teach reading, writing or anything that should be left for grade school until the year before kindergarten. They paint, glue, cut... but, they don't cut on the lines because there are no lines.

Number two... this kid is FIFTEEN MONTHS OLD. I would never even dream of that for a toddler. He still needs to learn to hold a crayon without eating it.

THEN... she found a provider who would do that with him. 90 minutes of play time, two hours of nap.. the rest is "lesson time". He'll go home with a full folder every night.

BUT THEN, she talked two other families into leaving me to go with this other provider because they will learn to read before kindergarten, which will surely accelerate them right through the public school system.

Sorry for the hijack. I'm just still upset.

This lady takes six weeks vacation time.. they had the nerve to ask me if I'd take their five kids back when teacher is on vacations.
daycare 11:17 AM 08-12-2011
Ugh hugs to you....I feel for you.. I had a parent do this to me awhile back about the progam. I found some useful information on the web and printed it out. I basically talked about how children under 5 learn best through play and how important it was for them to learn "the other things in life" that school won't teach them.

Hugs hugs hugs and don't let anyone tell you that your program is not a good one. If they dont like it they can leave....
wdmmom 11:19 AM 08-12-2011
Are you wanting to keep this family

Are you really set on that rate?

Are you at all able to offer a discount?

Do you see them going with the other provider?

Essentially, you would be giving them a 10% discount if you accepted this child in at the previous rate.

I'd take the 10% loss to keep the family and bringing in more income!
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 08-12-2011
I have had it happen before and it worked almost as well as when my teenaged daughter says "...but ****'s Mom is letting her!!! Why can't I?"
daycare 11:50 AM 08-12-2011
I am doing what I can to keep this family, however, they are asking for me to extend my hours and not raise my rates? That is not going to happen. I do know for fact that the other provider charges more than I do on the daily rate. I also do offer a 5% discount for those families that pay using the childcarepay.com online payments and pay one month in advance. So they are already getting a discount. I allow one discount per family.
daycare 11:52 AM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I have had it happen before and it worked almost as well as when my teenaged daughter says "...but ****'s Mom is letting her!!! Why can't I?"
funny how much adults act like children when they don't get their way....geer
MommyMuffin 12:40 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a daycare family that has one child with me and their younger child in another local family daycare becuase of age. I only take 2yrs and up. Well the younger child has just turned 2 and the family has began a back and forth price/hours negotiation with me and the other provider.

The family has been with me for over a year and it was always a plan that when the younger turned 2 for him to come here with the older sibling. The DCM came to me at the start of the week requesting specific rates and hours. Said she was going to give noitce to whichever provider could not meet her needs. I was a little taken back that she came right out and said that, but I guess she was looking for a bargin. I basically told her, you know my program and my prices, take it or leave it....

Have any of you guys ever had this happen to you before? Also, she is requesting that her 2year old get the old client rate of $50.00 per day instead of $55.00 per day....Should I bend on this?
If you need the money and dont think you could fill the spot then maybe think about barganing with her but if not then dont. It sounds like she wants to pay you nothing.

Keep your prices what you want them. I would even tell mom "I set my rates as such to provide quality care," then I would hand mom that nice checklist that R&R has about quality childcare.

I am not a forward person and if a dcp told me she was price shopping I would feel that she didnt care about the "care" I was providing her child.
daycare 12:46 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
If you need the money and dont think you could fill the spot then maybe think about barganing with her but if not then dont. It sounds like she wants to pay you nothing.

Keep your prices what you want them. I would even tell mom "I set my rates as such to provide quality care," then I would hand mom that nice checklist that R&R has about quality childcare.

I am not a forward person and if a dcp told me she was price shopping I would feel that she didnt care about the "care" I was providing her child.

this is exactly how I feel!!

Yes I am not going to lower the price to where I would feel I am getting taken advantage of.
MommyMuffin 12:48 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I'm going through something similar right now. I'm extremely bitter over it too.

I haven't slept well in two nights since she pulled that crap.

She doesn't want a price change. But, she wants me to spend 30 minutes a day teaching her son to "Write, cut and color in the lines. No more painting, no more free play". She wants workbooks and worksheets.

Number one, I do not believe in color and cut preschool programs. I am play based, creative based "It's the process not the product" type of person. I do NOT teach reading, writing or anything that should be left for grade school until the year before kindergarten. They paint, glue, cut... but, they don't cut on the lines because there are no lines.

Number two... this kid is FIFTEEN MONTHS OLD. I would never even dream of that for a toddler. He still needs to learn to hold a crayon without eating it.

THEN... she found a provider who would do that with him. 90 minutes of play time, two hours of nap.. the rest is "lesson time". He'll go home with a full folder every night.

BUT THEN, she talked two other families into leaving me to go with this other provider because they will learn to read before kindergarten, which will surely accelerate them right through the public school system.

Sorry for the hijack. I'm just still upset.

This lady takes six weeks vacation time.. they had the nerve to ask me if I'd take their five kids back when teacher is on vacations.
Wow that really stinks. Just go the the dollar store and buy the workbooks. Set them in front of the toddlers and watch them. The will rip them up...then send home the ripped up paper in a bag...TaDa..."the worksheet you request princess DCM"
haha
cheerfuldom 01:14 PM 08-12-2011
I can't believe a mom would want that for a 15 month old or that some wacko out there is guaranteeing that. What exactly can a 15 month old do as far as worksheets are concerned? Seriously!
daycare 01:18 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I can't believe a mom would want that for a 15 month old or that some wacko out there is guaranteeing that. What exactly can a 15 month old do as far as worksheets are concerned? Seriously!
they can eat them.........lol
jojosmommy 01:34 PM 08-12-2011
I would not change my price and I would probably tell the mom that you will call the other provider over the weekend and chat with her personally about it. Tell her you like to know other providers in the area- good for networking. Maybe she is lying and trying the same with the other provider. Maybe when you and the other provider dump her she will get the idea.
Dahlia 01:49 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:

And from a parent perspective, if I'm shopping for childcare and someone offers pricematching or lots of discounts, I'm going to wonder why and be biased toward those that seem to be winning clients on their own merits. It's not the same as buying a TV. Cost is certainly part of the equation, but I don't want "bargain basement" childcare. It seems like establishing fair prices and sticking to them, generally speaking, would be better for your reputation in the long run.
cheerfuldom 01:53 PM 08-12-2011
yeah I don't do negotiations on price for childcare. Any parent that I have ever met that does that really just wants to cheapest rate possible and doesn't have many other concerns about what sort of care they are receiving. I agree, childcare shouldn't be treated like you are price shopping for a TV
Crystal 02:47 PM 08-12-2011
This would not work for me. I would tell her that since she feels the need to negotiate between me and another provider based on price, not competetive quality, then my services are no longer available to her.
Blackcat31 02:49 PM 08-12-2011
Yeah apples are cheaper than oranges but they just don't seem to taste the same....
Tags:bargain shopping, parent, prices
Reply Up