Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NY Providers
Play Care 11:49 AM 01-14-2014
I just received another grant letter.
I keep wondering what the catch is
slorey 12:18 PM 01-14-2014
I just turned in my registration, so am no longer providing registered care. In a lot of ways it is a relief (I have only had 1 dck since September, so the low numbers allowed are not an issue, and I was getting super stressed with all the surprise inspections I was getting, even though I never had any violations), but oh how I am going to miss those grants! Enjoy shopping!
daycarediva 12:42 PM 01-14-2014
I got mine (and spent it) yesterday. New dress up stuff that was spendy (180 for a set of 5? ouch) and a new dress up rack with mirror. and 6 Bilibo chairs. I may regret those, but we will see.

What are you getting?
Play Care 01:23 PM 01-14-2014
I just was approved this afternoon as there was a glitch with the system. So I haven't even looked yet. I have no ideas though!
Leanna 02:29 PM 01-14-2014
I just got approved too...I am having a hard time deciding on things!
daycarediva 03:08 PM 01-14-2014
I find the Kaplan/csea site soooo limited! If we get another grant I am going to get a light table and some things to go with it maybe. Or another sand/water table for inside use. Idk.
Evansmom 03:58 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I got mine (and spent it) yesterday. New dress up stuff that was spendy (180 for a set of 5? ouch) and a new dress up rack with mirror. and 6 Bilibo chairs. I may regret those, but we will see.

What are you getting?
I think it's impossible to regret buying a bilibo we love ours so!
daycarediva 04:05 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I think it's impossible to regret buying a bilibo we love ours so!
A friends of ds/5 has two and they love it. I was major impressed when I picked up ds from a play date and they had made a guessing game with the bilibo chairs. One would put something inside, and then the other had to guess what it was by shaking it (sound) holding it (weight) and if that didn't work, they could peek. CUTE. The Mom said that was ALL they played with.
Evansmom 07:19 PM 01-14-2014
A friends of ds/5 has two and they love it. I was major impressed when I picked up ds from a play date and they had made a guessing game with the bilibo chairs. One would put something inside, and then the other had to guess what it was by shaking it (sound) holding it (weight) and if that didn't work, they could peek. CUTE. The Mom said that was ALL they played with.
I love, love, love open ended toys for exactly that reason! It's the whole "when the toy does less the kids do more" thing. My favorite toys to provide are scarves or large pieces of cloth, blocks, boxes, tape and paper. Kids can be busy all day long with this collection of toys!
Evansmom 07:21 PM 01-14-2014
And the bilibos can be used in the water too! We take ours in the bath sometimes and in the backyard with the hose.

Sorry to hijack the grant thread with Bilibo love
Sunshine74 08:37 PM 01-14-2014
Where do you get these grants from? How do you find them? And can centers do them too?
Play Care 02:36 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
Where do you get these grants from? How do you find them? And can centers do them too?
They are through CSEA and I believe only available to providers outside of NYC. They send a letter every time a grant is available. Last year I think I got two and the year before I received one.
melskids 03:10 AM 01-15-2014
This is the 5th grant CSEA has given. I'm pretty sure they are only available to home providers as well, and not centers.

This time I got a new light table, (our old one was too small) a doll highchair, some wooden cars, a bunch of music instruments, a bunch of new paint and art stuff, and one of those wood rocking boats that you can turn over and use as stairs. I've wanted that forever!

My kiddos LOVE our bilibos!!!!!!!

The Love the gonge top as well. They are definitely favorites!

http://www.sensoryedge.com/motornumbers.html

This one is not available from Kaplan, but a smaller, flatter one is. I think it was under the active play category.
daycarediva 03:26 AM 01-15-2014
I am so excited about our bilibos now!!! YAY!!! I youtubed them in water play. HOW FUN! It was recommended to me that we take them sledding. I have never hoped for snow before and already dug some heavy duty rope out of the garage to attach to them. My kiddos love snow play, they made a multicolor great wall (covered the entire length of my yard!) with colored spray bottles and 6 snow blocks. Entertained them for DAYS, and then it rained. Yesterday they pretended snow and played dog sleds with the two sleds I bought them. We go sledding as often as possible (we have a nice non steep slope at our park down the street). Sorry way off topic rambling. I'm excited!

That Gonge is NEAT!

I have received 4. Pretty sure I was legally unlicensed when they started them. They sent 2 last year, and yes they are only available to licensed home daycares outside of NYC. No centers (does group care get them?)
melskids 05:16 AM 01-15-2014
I am so excited about our bilibos now!!! YAY!!! I youtubed them in water play. HOW FUN! It was recommended to me that we take them sledding. I have never hoped for snow before and already dug some heavy duty rope out of the garage to attach to them. My kiddos love snow play, they made a multicolor great wall (covered the entire length of my yard!) with colored spray bottles and 6 snow blocks. Entertained them for DAYS, and then it rained. Yesterday they pretended snow and played dog sleds with the two sleds I bought them. We go sledding as often as possible (we have a nice non steep slope at our park down the street). Sorry way off topic rambling. I'm excited!

That Gonge is NEAT!

I have received 4. Pretty sure I was legally unlicensed when they started them. They sent 2 last year, and yes they are only available to licensed home daycares outside of NYC. No centers (does group care get them?)
Group family providers DO get them!
Leanna 06:44 AM 01-15-2014
I finally decided! I needed a couple of little chairs so those were first on my list. I stocked up on art supplies (easel paper, paint, markers, glue, etc.) I added a few items to all of the areas: a few musical instruments, a new doll, some sensory table accessories, a balance scale...

I also got a big set of magnetic tiles - I've been wanting a set for a while but they are pricey. I think my kiddos will love them!
daycarediva 07:20 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I finally decided! I needed a couple of little chairs so those were first on my list. I stocked up on art supplies (easel paper, paint, markers, glue, etc.) I added a few items to all of the areas: a few musical instruments, a new doll, some sensory table accessories, a balance scale...

I also got a big set of magnetic tiles - I've been wanting a set for a while but they are pricey. I think my kiddos will love them!
YAY! Great choices! Let me know if they like magnetic tiles. Dh brought home a large magnet board (in storage) and I wasn't sure if it was worth buying magnets and finding a space for it.
Unregistered 07:36 AM 01-15-2014
ALL of my ages love the magnet tiles. Every time there's a grant I get another set! Very open-ended for all skill levels.
busymommy0420 10:30 AM 01-31-2014
Do you get a statement to claim the $500? I received $500 back in October or November for new toys and want to complete my taxes. I have not received anything in the mail or e-mail yet. I assume we are taxed on the $500 as income.
daycarediva 10:43 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
Do you get a statement to claim the $500? I received $500 back in October or November for new toys and want to complete my taxes. I have not received anything in the mail or e-mail yet. I assume we are taxed on the $500 as income.
My accountant allowed me to use the grant letter and invoiced receipt as 'proof' Maybe that would work for you? I never received a statement from them!
Leanna 12:50 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
My accountant allowed me to use the grant letter and invoiced receipt as 'proof' Maybe that would work for you? I never received a statement from them!
Yeah...wondering why the $500, of which 100% is spent on supplies for the program, is considered "income?" Annoying.
Margarete 03:15 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Yeah...wondering why the $500, of which 100% is spent on supplies for the program, is considered "income?" Annoying.
So +$500 in income, and then you deduct that amount in supplies. It should balance out... Same thing with the food program It's 'income' but then you deduct the meals, so it balances out... Yes it would make things simpler just to not have it count either way, but simple is not what the FEDS do.
Tags:new york member
Reply Up