Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Broke Down
JeepGirl6 08:32 AM 03-03-2011
Have any of you had days where you just break down crying because the day has been so stressful???? I am having one of those days!!!!!!! I have a 10 month old that will sleep at home but WILL NOT sleep here at all... The mother and I just don't understand it at all....He has been crying all day today...I can't even get up from the rocking chair because he will cry, if I walk into the bathroom, etc...he cries because I am not in his sight or he thinks I am walking out of his sight...The other children can not sleep at nap time because he cries the entire nap time.... I don't know what to do anymore....with the children not listening and yelling and running after I tell them over and over again not to....I just don't know if this is for me anymore, I love children but for me to cry over being so stressed out, is that normal? I have been doing this for 2.5 years and this is the first time I really broke down like this...My boyfriend came upstairs and started talking to me and I just started bawling....
jen 08:35 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
Have any of you had days where you just break down crying because the day has been so stressful???? I am having one of those days!!!!!!! I have a 10 month old that will sleep at home but WILL NOT sleep here at all... The mother and I just don't understand it at all....He has been crying all day today...I can't even get up from the rocking chair because he will cry, if I walk into the bathroom, etc...he cries because I am not in his sight or he thinks I am walking out of his sight...The other children can not sleep at nap time because he cries the entire nap time.... I don't know what to do anymore...I doubted this career 3 months ago but changed my mind because I felt bad leaving the parents but I am really rethinking everything...I don't know what to do with my life...I am so stressed out...with the children not listening and yelling and running after I tell them over and over again not to....I just don't know if this is for me anymore, I love children but for me to cry over being so stressed out, is that normal?
I think that depends, it isn't normal for me to be so stressed out I cry. I have certainly been stressed out enough to put a baby to bed and turn on the monitor, no volume, so I can watch the crying without HEARING it.

I'm sorry you are having such a tough day. Do you have another career in mind?
momatheart 08:41 AM 03-03-2011
Maybe babies just aren't your thing. They are NOT mine. I love kids but give me the older ones before SA anyday.

Tomorrow is another day we all have stressful days. I think crying when stressed out is a healthy release of emotions that are better than taking it out on a child.
DBug 08:44 AM 03-03-2011
I had one of those days yesterday! I actually gave myself a time-out because I needed to calm down. I made sure the kids were safe in the playroom, sat down on the stairs and had a good cry . I almost called hubby to come home and help somehow. Not that he'd be able to do anything, but more for the moral support. It was probably the worst day I've had in the 2.5 years I've been open, and I was seriously questioning whether I should be doing this.

It's been a better day today since I doubled up on coffee and prayer this morning .

I hope it gets better for you today! I know it's not much help, but we all have those days (or weeks ...). <<HUGS!>>
lil angels 08:47 AM 03-03-2011
I had a lot of days like that when I was first starting the first year was the worst. I didn't know what I had done I always told myself. But it got better I didn't do baby's for a while because I thought it was a lot less stressful on everyone. Have you been it daycare long?

I to have been fighting with myself about continuing this job. I have applied and am now waiting to hear back but can't decide it that is what I want either I am torn though because my youngest is 4 so he would have to go to daycare for a year before he goes to school. I had an interview and who knows if they will call back or not I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Good luck I hope your day gets better
GG~DAYCARE 08:51 AM 03-03-2011
I had a day like that last week. I just wanted to cry it was such an off day. It has been a few year since I have felt this way myself!!! Wonder if its the end of winter is near and the kids are getting ansy to be outside more!! I hope you are having a better day...crying babies are no fun!!
JeepGirl6 08:52 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I had a lot of days like that when I was first starting the first year was the worst. I didn't know what I had done I always told myself. But it got better I didn't do baby's for a while because I thought it was a lot less stressful on everyone. Have you been it daycare long?

I to have been fighting with myself about continuing this job. I have applied and am now waiting to hear back but can't decide it that is what I want either I am torn though because my youngest is 4 so he would have to go to daycare for a year before he goes to school. I had an interview and who knows if they will call back or not I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Good luck I hope your day gets better
I have been doing my In-home Child care for 2.5 years now...I was changing my career back into the medical field 3 months ago...( I also have my degree in Medical Assisting as well as ECE)..I was offered 3 different positions, one at Childrens Hospital ( my dream job)...I wanted the position SOOO bad...but financially my boyfriend got laid off so if I took the job we would not have been able to pay our house payment soo I kept my In home Child care because I am making more than what they were offering me...I have really been thinking about going back to school for my RN...In order to do this I would have to do all evening classes and I would probably drop some children because it would be too stressful on me having 6 children a day and going to nursing school full time...I am just not sure right now if nursing is for me...I am so confused
jen 08:59 AM 03-03-2011
Hugs! Try to just focus on today...you can't make any well thought out decisiouns when you are all stressed anyway.
gbcc 09:02 AM 03-03-2011
((Hugs)) I hope things start to look up for you.

I understand your confusion. I have been doing home daycare for 5 years now. I started because I wanted more time with my son. Well now my son is in school and I desperately want to go back to work. I have 2 degrees. One for Social Work and one for Counseling. My only problem is that I can't make as much as a counselor as I can doing daycare. My parents could get my son off the bus for me and keep him for an hour or whatever until I get home but after figuring in insurance, gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, lunches etc I would be very far behind where I am now. I check the county listings daily and as soon as there is a test I will be taking it. I actually quit my job at the county to do daycare I don't regret the time I was able to share with my son and I love having the summers home with him but think of the retirement and raises I would have had
snowborden1 09:08 AM 03-03-2011
Hugs to you I have had days like that. I only watch children 3 and under as I taught preschool for a number of years and was ready for the change. I do enjoy the babies a lot but sometimes there are days and babies that don't seem to go together very well. I had one who cried like that for about 2 months. It was so hard. I latter found out that he ONLY sleeps with his mom and dad or his 14 year old sister. Even for a nap. He cried every time I put him down, walked away or tried to lay him down for a nap. The only thing that worked for me was this:
First day I played with him during free play while he was in my lap.
Second day I sat him next to me while we played.
Third day I sat next t o him while he played with a little interaction.
Fourth day I scooted away a little farther.
Fifth day a little farther.
(and while I'm doing this I am still interacting with my other two dcb as well)
Sixth day a little farther and then would get up and walk around the area he was playing in. It took a LOT of patience but in the end it was so worth it. It really took about 2 weeks until he didn't care what I was doing.
At nap time I have his pack n play in his own room (ds room) with a fan for white noise and I run the whole house fan to drown noises coming from him so other kids can sleep and so he can't hear me and my loud dog walking around. I have the baby monitor on but volume off and I let him cry. It took about a week and a half before I could give him hugs say nite nite and lay him down before he would go to sleep without crying.
He still sleeps with his parents or his sister but he is doing very well here. His parents are amazed I have him sleeping in his own room and have said the wished they had the patience to do that at home.
Good luck to you!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:21 AM 03-03-2011
You are SOOO not alone, I'm have having a difficult time right now....not to the point of crying but if I had a baby crying all day long I just might. The more I take on, the more stressed out I am so I think I need to learn to run small and stay small.

I have been thinking about getting a degree so I can get a worth while job, daycare is NOT what I want to do for the long haul...I have only been registered less than 2 years (although been doing it on and off for 11 years) and I'm ready to hang it up. I'm just way TOO stressed all the time!
JeepGirl6 10:57 AM 03-03-2011
Well I started to feel a little better, the children are all sleeping finally so I have time to relax and eat lunch...

I just got a text from one of my favorite parents...saying that the dads work schedule is changing so they need to change from 2 eight hour days to four 2.5 hour days because the dad is getting switched from mornings to afternoons..... so I had to tell the mother that I am already at ratio on Tuesdays and Thursdays so she said will most likely have to find alternative care but I feel like she is upset with me when I can't change anything of this...I feel bad, and I don't want to lose the little girl, I love her to death...this got me crying all over again...I feel like an emotional rollercoaster today
grandmom 12:50 PM 03-03-2011
Hugs to you. We all have versions of that kind of day.

It will pass, and you will develop coping skills that will make that kind of day less traumatic.
sahm2three 01:33 PM 03-03-2011
Yes. About one day every other week. I have some tough kids in my care, and it makes it rough. I hope your day got better! Hang in there, and sometimes it just feels good to know you are not alone!
MommyMuffin 01:39 PM 03-03-2011
Yes, today is that day for me. I was close to tears earlier and I turned n a christian radio station and called my husband.

I keep feeling if I could just learn more, buy more gadgets and toys it will be easier. I am trying so hard to learn all I can.

My struggle is the 1 - 2 year old children. They dont play, they throw toys around. Preschoolers cant do puzzles or color b/c the toddlers take crayons and run away or chew puzzle pieces.

I'm not sure what to do. I have been thinking of having the room blocked off in 3 sections...babies...toddlers and preschoolers. It would make life so much less stressful...for the kids too I think.

I am getting on my hubby to build my daycare in the basement and currently entertaining the idea of letting my PT 18month old go.

We all have hard days. I just hope with more experience that I have less rough days ahead. Keep your head up. Remember in outside jobs there are very hard stressful days too. A job is a job and somedays can be really bad.
daycare 02:31 PM 03-03-2011
relax, take a deep breath..........one more day and then its TGIF!!!!!

you have a difficult job and I am sure that you are doing a great job at that. Reward yourself this weekend with some alone time, quiet alone time.....

or you can do waht I do and I beat the day lights out of the kick boxing bag in the garage every night.... I find this the best way to channle my stress....
JeepGirl6 05:34 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
relax, take a deep breath..........one more day and then its TGIF!!!!!

you have a difficult job and I am sure that you are doing a great job at that. Reward yourself this weekend with some alone time, quiet alone time.....

or you can do waht I do and I beat the day lights out of the kick boxing bag in the garage every night.... I find this the best way to channle my stress....
I have been wanting a kick boxing bag for so long...Where do you get it from and how much does it cost? Thanks

Thank you all for your advice...I guess it was just one of those days, if my boyfriend even said one little thing the wrong way, I would start crying. Hopefully tomorrow will be better...I am so glad it will be Friday. I love this website, I wouldnt know what to do without all of your support!
MyAngels 05:46 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I have been thinking about getting a degree so I can get a worth while job, daycare is NOT what I want to do for the long haul...I have only been registered less than 2 years (although been doing it on and off for 11 years) and I'm ready to hang it up. I'm just way TOO stressed all the time!
Gosh, I don't know, I tend to think childcare is a worthwhile job .
Kaddidle Care 03:32 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Gosh, I don't know, I tend to think childcare is a worthwhile job .
It IS and it's very important but it's also exausting to stay on top of your game all the time. Having a plan that is flexible is important too. I don't know how old the rest of the children are in your care, nor do I know how many you are watching but having different play stations help curb the running indoors. They also need outdoor running time which is difficult when you are caring for much younger babies.

To the OP - it sounds like you need a vacation or at least a week long break. When is the last time you've had that?

I've only had one job that made me break down and cry before going to it - I nearly had a breakdown and thankfully I had the sense to get out of it. (I wasn't the only one, I had a co-worker that was literally going bald from the stress.)

Child care isn't for everyone, we don't exactly sit on the couch and eat bonbons all day.
JeepGirl6 04:45 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
It IS and it's very important but it's also exausting to stay on top of your game all the time. Having a plan that is flexible is important too. I don't know how old the rest of the children are in your care, nor do I know how many you are watching but having different play stations help curb the running indoors. They also need outdoor running time which is difficult when you are caring for much younger babies.

To the OP - it sounds like you need a vacation or at least a week long break. When is the last time you've had that?

I've only had one job that made me break down and cry before going to it - I nearly had a breakdown and thankfully I had the sense to get out of it. (I wasn't the only one, I had a co-worker that was literally going bald from the stress.)

Child care isn't for everyone, we don't exactly sit on the couch and eat bonbons all day.

Yes, I do need a break! I took a week off in July 2010, that was the last break I had I would like to try to go on vacation this year, I really need it! Even when I had a week off in July last year, we didn't go on vacation
Kaddidle Care 04:49 AM 03-04-2011
Schedule one then! When is Spring Break for your Schools? That would be a great time to take a week off since a lot of parents have older SA children and may have to make other arrangements anyway (unless, of course they have already scheduled it with you.)

Even a long weekend might help. Hang in there, we all have down days.
SilverSabre25 05:02 AM 03-04-2011
Oh my , I feel for you! I have been there a lot lately. It's been a tough year for me and my family so far (actually the toughness started right after Thanksgiving) and I've had my share of days where I have broken down into tears for one reason or another. Yesterday I did in fact--mostly it was pregnant hormones talking (similar to PMS hormones, they can make you weepy over dopey things), but I bawled on my DH's shoulder because I don't know if we'll be able to take down the covered porch in our backyard.

I second the call for a vacation, at least a long weekend. Schedule one for two weeks out, even if you just stay home and curl up with a stack of good books/movies/video games, your drink of choice, and a healthy supply of your preferred junk food.

I've got my first break in a good long time coming up next weekend. I'm off March 11-14 and we're going to spend the weekend painting and reorganizing stuff. I can't wait.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 03-04-2011
JeepGirl....Are you having a better day today? I hope so because it does get stressful but it is Friday!!! Yah!! Hang in there...we are all here for you!
Tags:overwhelmed, stressed
Reply Up