Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Quit Or Never Signed Up For A Food Program
MommyMuffin 06:29 AM 08-23-2011
I have been on the food program since I started daycare last november.
I get about $25 per month per child.
My husband thinks that it isnt worth it and that I am losing more money by being on it.

So I wrote out the pros and cons
PROS:
~ extra income
~ marketing; do parents really care if someone is on the food program

CONS:
~ Extra visits from licensors(state and food program)
~ Have to buy certain brands (CN label nutrition foods)
~ Cant have certain flexibility in my meal plans = w/o fp less work, less prep
~ The meals I have made thus far of course are healthier but the kids wont eat them hardly.

I met with a provider friend for a picnic, I brought turkey with cheese on focaccia bread with grapes and pasta. She brought PBJ sandwiches, goldfish and oranges. My dcks refused my meal and ate hers. It was an Aha moment!

If it was just us at home they eat the cheese and take a few bites of the bread and thats it. So it wasnt just becase there was another option.

It was interesting seeing someone who isnt on the food program.

I would like to quit because it would be so much easier and my kids would eat more but I have trouble turning down the extra income.

If you quit the food program or never signed up, what were your reasons?
momofsix 06:43 AM 08-23-2011
I never signed up even though the extra $ would be nice.
- I wouldn"t do well w/ surprise visits at all. Even though I could do everything the right way, I'm extremely shy and know that I would be too nervous and say/do the wrong things
-I don't like the fact that they even DO the surprise visits. It feels like they don't trust the providers to be honest. (???)
- Even though I make a menu and post it for the parents, I can change something for the day if I need to. Also, I only post the "main" thing we are going to have so I have total flexibility daily on what fruits/veggies/sides to serve.
I do try to follow the guidelines of the food program though.
Koukla 06:48 AM 08-23-2011
I quit.
I had it last year and found that the paper work (even though its all online now) and the extra visits and work was just not worth the little pay i got out of it. The parents in my daycare where all fine with it. esp. because they can now pack what their kids really want to eat. look at your list. there are more cons then pros and really the cons are not little ones. I mean who really wants more visits from your lic. if you dont need them kwim.

hope that helps you some.
tbutler 06:53 AM 08-23-2011
Thanks for this post mommymuffin. I was debating whether or not I should apply for a food program. Based on your pros and cons and the few comments from other members, I think I'll pass. The extra money monthly does sound nice. But I do not like grocery shopping for particular brands, just makes my time in the store longer. I'm an in and out kind of girl.
WImom 06:54 AM 08-23-2011
I just claim it at the end of the year instead. I didn't like the hassle of more paperwork, more visits disrupting our day, etc. Parents don't seem to care and they all get a menu every month from me anyways.
littlemommy 06:56 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by tbutler:
Thanks for this post mommymuffin. I was debating whether or not I should apply for a food program. Based on your pros and cons and the few comments from other members, I think I'll pass. The extra money monthly does sound nice. But I do not like grocery shopping for particular brands, just makes my time in the store longer. I'm an in and out kind of girl.
It depends on the state's rules. In my state, Nebraska, there are no rules about brands. I meal plan and make everything from scratch, so that saves a ton of money. I actually end up making enough money to feed all daycare kids plus my family of 3 for the month.

I haven't even had any unannounced visits. I know she was supposed to do one, but didn't. Maybe it was on a day I was closed?
PitterPatter 06:58 AM 08-23-2011
I have never heard of having to buy certain brands. That may make me have a change of mind. Here we can purchase any brand as long as the food item itself on the FP menu. Doesn't matter if it's store brand or expensive lable. I get my bread from the towns bakery thrift store. Fresh and 1/2 the price. Some veggies and fruits I try to buy in bulk and freeze what I can so I save there. Sometimes the meal I serve cost's less than what the FP actually pays back. I just have to watch for sales and freeze certain things. I don't really mind much because what I serve just fits into the food prog anyway. I haven't always served all the food groups, I use to serve 1 fruit or veggie with the meal or sammy but it's nothing for me to toss an extra fruit or veg on the plate and fulfill the requirement.

As for our outtings and picnics then yes the FP is a pain in my butt!! We are not permitted to buy milk and give it to the kids while out. The milk has to come from home so that means I have to take the big thermos and all the kids cups as well as the picnic basket of food and plates etc. I use worry about milk in the summer but the thermos keeps it cold for 12 hrs! I just hate dragging all that to the park when I could buy a meal or at least the milk there. But nope doesn't count even though I paid for it and made sure the proper items were served.

Oh and we get 4 visits from the Food Prog monitor per year. 2 unannounced and 2 scheduled. The licensor visits only once per year regardless of the FP or not. They don't work together at all.
TSDaycare 07:00 AM 08-23-2011
I am too contemplating on quitting at the end of this month. It is more hassle to me to do the online stuff at every meal, have to report everytime I'm off, closed, or if at the spur of the moment want to go to the park, in case my monitor is planning a visit, and besides the fact that I have unexpected visits all the time. I have no problem following the quidelines, I make sure the kids have fruits/veggies with every meal. But I also like to change my menu when I want, or when I don't happen to have enough of something. And my parents could care less about the food program as long as their children are being fed well, most of my kids only eat healthy here anyways. I am lower tier, so getting 50-70 extra dollars each month, then having to pay taxes on it at the end of the year is not worth it to me.
MommyMuffin 07:10 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
I am too contemplating on quitting at the end of this month. It is more hassle to me to do the online stuff at every meal, have to report everytime I'm off, closed, or if at the spur of the moment want to go to the park, in case my monitor is planning a visit, and besides the fact that I have unexpected visits all the time. I have no problem following the quidelines, I make sure the kids have fruits/veggies with every meal. But I also like to change my menu when I want, or when I don't happen to have enough of something. And my parents could care less about the food program as long as their children are being fed well, most of my kids only eat healthy here anyways. I am lower tier, so getting 50-70 extra dollars each month, then having to pay taxes on it at the end of the year is not worth it to me.
You wrote my reasons for wanting to quit better than I did. I think being able to throw something together if I have extra this or extra that. I think that would save me money.
I didnt even think about the tax money!!

For clarification the brands that I am talking about are Child Nutrition labels on chicken nuggets, fish sticks, corn dogs. I can only find them at Sams club. They have to have enough enriched grain to qualify as your grain requirement.

The state and food program do not come together, I was just thinking I already have state licensing coming into my home for inspection. I dont want more strangers from food program coming in as well.
daysofelijah 07:17 AM 08-23-2011
I quit at the beginning of the summer, because I'm quitting anyway. I did it all through the eight years and I think it was worth it. I would get a check for about 150-190 each month when I had 5-6 kids. The work and additional training is a hassle and I often got behind in recording and had write ups. The visits were also annoying. I do feel like it got me to serve better meals to the kids, if I could have counted my own kids that would have been awesome.

It's been a relief this summer now that I'm not on it and we've had pb & j or a fozen pizza a few times for lunch or skipped a veggie a few times. Nice to have the freedom to do that.
PitterPatter 07:18 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
You wrote my reasons for wanting to quit better than I did. I think being able to throw something together if I have extra this or extra that. I think that would save me money.

For clarification the brands that I am talking about are Child Nutrition labels on chicken nuggets, fish sticks, corn dogs. I can only find them at Sams club. They have to have enough enriched grain to qualify as your grain requirement.

The state and food program do not come together, I was just thinking I already have state licensing coming into my home for inspection. I dont want more strangers from food program coming in as well.
We are supposed to report when we are off or closed but I don't bother. I know if the monitor has come recently she wont be back for a few months. Even then I don't call. they make reminders for us but I just don't have time or even remember ti call everytime. I figure if they write me up or something then that will be the end but I don't stress over that for now.

As for the nuggets WOW wish we could claim them as the grain but we don't even have that option. Not really a problem tho because when I do serve something like that I just give a slice of buttered bread or a roll. Another point I haven't seen yet is the left overs. We are not permitted to serve them at all!! So that would be a good point of not having the FP. Meatloaf for instance. Great as a reheat the next day but a huge no no for our FP!
boysx5 07:19 AM 08-23-2011
I quit a year ago and I'm no longer stressed over it I still serve great meals without all the paperwork the checks were nice but still having to claim it as income
Cat Herder 07:21 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Meatloaf for instance. Great as a reheat the next day but a huge no no for our FP!
Really? I cook EVERYTHING in advance...so would that make my entire menu a no-no if I ever did join?

I don't think I ever really asked..
PitterPatter 07:21 AM 08-23-2011

Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
I quit at the beginning of the summer, because I'm quitting anyway. I did it all through the eight years and I think it was worth it. I would get a check for about 150-190 each month when I had 5-6 kids. The work and additional training is a hassle and I often got behind in recording and had write ups. The visits were also annoying. I do feel like it got me to serve better meals to the kids, if I could have counted my own kids that would have been awesome.

It's been a relief this summer now that I'm not on it and we've had pb & j or a fozen pizza a few times for lunch or skipped a veggie a few times. Nice to have the freedom to do that.
Another plus for us here we can claim our own kids as long as they are here eating the meal.

I do serve a frozen pizza once in a while. I just don't claim food that day. Not sure if it's permitted really but I figure as long as I am not claiming it then why would it matter.
laundrymom 07:21 AM 08-23-2011

So,..... Do chicken bites from real chicken pieces, real fish steamed or baked is healthier, cheaper and cooks faster than fish sticks. Use that. And as far as corn dogs? Why even offer them? They are full of fat and salt. Instead do chicken kabobs rolled in parm cheese.
PitterPatter 07:28 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Really? I cook EVERYTHING in advance...so would that make my entire menu a no-no if I ever did join?

I don't think I ever really asked..
I just found that out back in winter when I took the nutrition class. I have been on the FP for 5 years and never knew it. Maybe it's new. No reheats or previously cooked meals, and no salads or fresh fruits and veggies that have been in a serving bowl on the table. Insane huh!! Basically reason being we may not properly cool or reheat the items. They had a much longer BS filled reason but thats what it boiled down to. The salad and fresh items and other food in a serving bowl is because it is considered possibly contaminated by a cough a sneeze or childs roaming hand. The instructor even caught a couple centers by surprise with the reheat but most centers knew it. Well oops on me.
Cat Herder 07:38 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I just found that out back in winter when I took the nutrition class. I have been on the FP for 5 years and never knew it. Maybe it's new. No reheats or previously cooked meals, and no salads or fresh fruits and veggies that have been in a serving bowl on the table. Insane huh!! Basically reason being we may not properly cool or reheat the items. They had a much longer BS filled reason but thats what it boiled down to. The salad and fresh items and other food in a serving bowl is because it is considered possibly contaminated by a cough a sneeze or childs roaming hand. The instructor even caught a couple centers by surprise with the reheat but most centers knew it. Well oops on me.
OK, it is official for me.

The food program is not worth it.

Cooking in advance during the weekends is what allows me to help my kids with homework and be active in their lives everyday.

I would pay that extra weeks income each year for that, IYKWIM....
littlemommy 07:55 AM 08-23-2011
OK, it is official for me.

The food program is not worth it.

Cooking in advance during the weekends is what allows me to help my kids with homework and be active in their lives everyday.

I would pay that extra weeks income each year for that, IYKWIM....
I would ask your rep about it before quitting. I cook in advance and mine has no problem with it. Everything differs state to state. Kinda crazy...since you'd think it'd all be the same.
sharlan 08:01 AM 08-23-2011
I quit about 10 yrs ago and never looked back.

I don't like the unannounced visits, regardless of who's doing them.

My last food person was so stupid that the kids nicknamed her "Stupid Sylvia". She asked the same questions over and over, wrote me up for the stupidest things. She always came at the end of the month, would find some error in my paperwork and disqualify my paperwork for the whole month. One day we were having fresh corn instead of carrots and I hadn't changed the paperwork, lunch wasn't even over yet. Disqualified the whole month.

I asked for a new inspector, the co told me it wasn't possible, I had to learn to work with her. I told them to cancel me effective that call.
jojosmommy 08:10 AM 08-23-2011
I love my fp lady and would never give up the 300-450 each month I get for feeding the kids I have.

Have never heard of the no re-heats rule. I think it is easy to get the required components in each meal and our program allows you to have it available but doesnt require you to put x amount on each plate (and throw away what they dont eat). I don't hardly waste anything b/c what they don't want or arent going to eat never goes on their plate anyway.

Also, I have never heard of brand requirements except on processed things like chicken nuggets/fish sticks etc which I don't serve anyway.
Cat Herder 08:34 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I would ask your rep about it before quitting. I cook in advance and mine has no problem with it. Everything differs state to state. Kinda crazy...since you'd think it'd all be the same.
It is not supposed to.

I am still reading... check it out.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/governance/2011-06-29.pdf

http://www.cacfp.org/regulations.asp

http://teamnutrition.usda.gov/Resour...troduction.pdf
Meeko 08:42 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
In my state we can prepare ahead...however we cannot serve left-overs. So you can make a meatloaf the night before and have it for lunch. However, you cannot save the meatloaf your family ate and serve it to the day care kids the next day.

Being on the food program is a no brainer for me. Yes it's a pain with all the logging foods and having inspections. But we are a group day care and because of the school district we are in...we are tier one. I average $1000 -$1200 per month from the food program. The lowest amount I received this past year was $997.

If I was just getting a few dollars, I wouldn't do it. But it's financially worth it for me.
Cat Herder 09:01 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I love my fp lady and would never give up the 300-450 each month I get for feeding the kids I have. .
How many kids do you keep????

This is how I understand it. Is this correct per child?

Tier One

Bfst = $1.24
Lunch = $2.32
Snack = .69 cents

Tier Two

Bfst = .45 cents
Lunch = $1.40
Snack = .19 cents

Toms blog broke it down really well along with the tax costs involved. It is over in the taxes forum.
rjskids 09:40 AM 08-23-2011
How is it decided what tier you will be on? I'd like to know what exactly I'm going to get back per month to know if it's worth it. $50-100 per month? I would rather skip it. $200-$300 per month? Heck ya!
WImom 09:42 AM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
So,..... Do chicken bites from real chicken pieces, real fish steamed or baked is healthier, cheaper and cooks faster than fish sticks. Use that. And as far as corn dogs? Why even offer them? They are full of fat and salt. Instead do chicken kabobs rolled in parm cheese.
okay - so to go off topic but is that just chicken chunks rolled in parm cheese or is there more to that? Sounds like something my kids here would love.
snbauser 10:27 AM 08-23-2011
I am on the FP and have been for 8 years. For me it is a no brainer. I am teir 1 and have 12 kids. During the school year when most of my kids are here all day every day I get back between $900-$1000 a month. Even during the summer when I have kids part time and kids in and out I average about $500-$600/month. I can still serve the things that I want to serve. Sometimes I have to doctor them up some but that isn't a big deal. Today was a child's birthday and we had frozen pizza. I can claim it as long as I add extra cheese to it. Not that big of a deal. I jut buy a bag of shredded pizza cheese at the store and put it on top. So for the meal we had the crust - grain, cheese - protein, pineapple - fruit, green beans - veggie, and milk. As for the chicken nuggets/fish sticks, etc, I buy the CN labelled ones and still have to give them a slice of bread for the grain. Again, no big deal. If I change something for the meal I just cross it off the written menu we have posted and change it right then and there.
jojosmommy 12:39 PM 08-23-2011
How many kids do you keep????

This is how I understand it. Is this correct per child?

Tier One

Bfst = $1.24
Lunch = $2.32
Snack = .69 cents

Tier Two

Bfst = .45 cents
Lunch = $1.40
Snack = .19 cents

Toms blog broke it down really well along with the tax costs involved. It is over in the taxes forum.
I qualify for tier one rates based on how many kids in our closest school are on free and reduced lunch. I get 4.25 per kid per day. I have between 4-6 kids per day (not including my own which I do not get reimbursed for) and if you do the math it looks like this 4.25 (per kid per day) x 5 (kids. average for me everyday)x 20 days a month (again average days open per month) = $425.

Easiest money I make each month. Literally 3 minutes on the computer daily and 3 unannounced checks from my fp lady per year. No brainer.
Crazy8 01:20 PM 08-23-2011
I've never been on the food program. When I became registered 10 years ago even my licensor said none of the home daycares do it. I don't know how much that has changed over the years but I have never had anyone even comment on sending their own lunches - its just the way its done around here.

I provide snacks and get a few bucks for them at the end of the year (think it was .65 per child per snack or something like that??).
Tags:food program, food program questions
Reply Up