Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Was Happy For About Two Days...
Unregistered 08:05 AM 02-01-2020
Two weeks ago after 33 years of childcare I finally let my final three families know that I was retiring. I gave them 9 months notice and they were all happy for me. (wonderful parents) I also told them if they found spots earlier then jump on them because the climate of daycare in our area is that when you have a positive pregnancy test you get on the waiting lists. Everything was great.

Since I announced it my one perfect mom with the most lovable child lost her pregnancy of 6 months, lost a good friend to cancer, her dog died and her landlord gave her notice.

I feel like my retirement seems like a kick in the head to her although she has not said one thing to me. She is always cheerful and always says things will work out.

But I really have to keep my mouth shut because I just want to tell her that I will be here for as long as she needs me but she is not my child. ( just my daughter friend)

Ugggg!!!! Life is so unfair sometimes to the most wonderful people.
Unregistered 11:49 AM 02-01-2020
I would like to let her know that I will keep her kids as long as she needs to find other daycare. It can take some stress from her. She has a lot on her plate.
Unregistered 05:22 PM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would like to let her know that I will keep her kids as long as she needs to find other daycare. It can take some stress from her. She has a lot on her plate.
You can if that makes you happy! You would still have more freedom if she was ok with her child tagging along with you on errands!
Josiegirl 03:44 AM 02-02-2020
Wow, that's a lot for any person to have happen in such a short time. I agree that if you want to tell her you'll keep her child for as long as it takes, then there's no harm done and it will alleviate one of her stressors. But also, 9 months is a very generous term notice so a lot can happen within that time frame. I know she's got a lot going on at the moment but she can still get her name on some of those waiting lists.
You sound like you have a heart of gold.
Ariana 10:31 AM 02-02-2020
She is a good person who has had a lot of bad things thrown at her. 9 months is a very generous term notice. You cannot save this person from her life though and you owe her nothing. When would it be a good time for her? 9 months, 2 years? It can be a slippery slope and maybe her trying to find care for her daughter can help her move forward with her life.

We all want to do nice things for other people and I think giving such a generous term notice is a VERY nice thing to do. You do not have to do more than that if you don’t want to
Unregistered 05:20 PM 02-02-2020
Haha , that second unregistered was not me. My health is also starting to decline and my husband has already been retired for ten years so this is something I need to do if I want to get any travel in while my health allows. I just feel bad but prolonging care is not an option. m

For some reason my username will not go through, I will have to look into that.
Josiegirl 02:59 AM 02-03-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Haha , that second unregistered was not me. My health is also starting to decline and my husband has already been retired for ten years so this is something I need to do if I want to get any travel in while my health allows. I just feel bad but prolonging care is not an option. m

For some reason my username will not go through, I will have to look into that.
Well that changes my answer. Then you shouldn't let her life's circumstances dictate when you choose to retire. You've worked long and hard for retirement and have earned it. Please don't feel guilty about it!! Nine months is extremely generous and she will work it out. Good luck to you!!
If it's any consolation, I termed one of my first dcgs, due to my inexperience, and when I was telling dcm, she told me her dad had just suffered a heart attack. Terrible timing for her but sometimes those are the type of games life plays with us. Did I feel guilty? Heck, yeh. But it didn't change my mind.
rosieteddy 05:25 AM 02-03-2020
I had to close after my heart attack.Not much notice andevery parent found care.First they worked together ,then when I was not able to lift anyone for weeks .I was feeling so guilty,but they were not my family and they worked it out.Nine months is plenty of time.I did call a few other providers and gave their names to some clients.You do you.
Tags:life experiences, resilience, support from others
Reply Up