Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Legomom922
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 10-29-2010
Does this help?

http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/chi...afety_regs.asp

I don't live in NY but hopefully this answers your question.
legomom922 09:38 AM 10-29-2010
Thanks, I saw that and thats why I started to get confused, with all that technical jargon, kwim? So i was hoping someone could just tell me in regular simple words I would understand, and then I found out about that "being listed" option also. Just more confused not then I was before.

Thank you though!
DCMomOf3 10:06 AM 10-29-2010
I've been reading that page and trying to make it a little simpler. I think that if you want to enroll in the Informal child care agency it is optional, but then you would have some compliance rules and regs.

My gut feeling is if you choose not to enroll, you don't HAVE to follow any regs but if anyone decided to sue you or something, they would still expect you to be able to provide a loving, safe environment, etc. I would try to follow as many of the rules as i could just to cover my own behind for the What If factor.
Lilbutterflie 10:15 AM 10-29-2010
I guess with TX you are one of three possible choices:
1- Listed: it just means I am on a list of childcare providers who watch no more than 3 children other than my own. I have to make sure my parents are aware that I am not subject to state regulations or inspections.
2. Registered: Someone who cares for between 3-6 children other than their own. Subject to regulations and inspections.
3. Licensed: Someone who cares for up to 12 children. Subject to regulations and inspections

It really just seems that all of those terms essentially mean the same, it's just that each state uses their own terms?!
legomom922 11:44 AM 10-29-2010
Ya know whats funny? I am under NO regulations at all, and here I am trying to be just so I can get 1 parent to take me seriously!
misol 12:10 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Ya know whats funny? I am under NO regulations at all, and here I am trying to be just so I can get 1 parent to take me seriously!

Regardless of whether you are licensed or registered or exempt or whatever, you as the businessowner can require additional paperwork from your clients if you so choose. Licensing is just there to make sure that you are doing the minimum as required by the state, but if you want to go above and beyond that and require additional paperwork from your clients then you are free to do so. My parents are required to complete all state forms plus 2 extra forms that I want just for me and my records. How about telling this mom that even though you are not licesned, you still require all of the same forms the state does? You can give her a letter stating that she has X amount of days to return the forms and if she doesn't then give her a serious consequence. I guess ultimately, if you aren't willing to go as far as terming her (or at least suspending care), she probably won't ever take you seriously and never turn in the forms

In your contract you can add a section that says something like "ALL forms must be completed and returned within 30 days or care will be suspended. If forms are not returned within the suspension period of 10 working days, care will be terminated and deposits will not be refunded." This would at least help if you run into the same problem again.
Tags:agency, tax exempt
Reply Up