Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have Pets in Your Daycare?
BentleysBands 01:05 PM 10-11-2010
If so , what do you have?

we have several dogs but only the doxie and great dane r allowed with the kids at any time. my other ones are just tempermental w/lil ones other than my own kids. my dane and doxie are THE BEST ever with the kids!!! even the parents will ask about them lol...my dane is my dcg's 'best friend' she says

we also have cats/kittens who roam where ever. the kittens love the kids but my other cats tolerate or leave the room when they are here.

i understand most states or licensed provides are not allowed pets in their daycare for many understandable reasons. just asking thos who DO what they have,etc.
daysofelijah 01:18 PM 10-11-2010
We have two dogs (border collies) and a cat. They roam where they want, except at pick up and drop off I kennel one of the dogs up because he has a scary bark and always barks at the dads when they come to the door.
They are all used to kids and all my daycare kids have either dogs or cats at home so it's not an issue for any of us.
SilverSabre25 01:22 PM 10-11-2010
We have a cat who is larger than some dogs. He's usually pretty nice but nips if provoked enough. All the parents know this and are fine with it. One parent actually told me, "Oh, let 'im get bit! He needs to learn!" which I love to hear because that means it's a reasonable set of parents!
marniewon 03:24 PM 10-11-2010
We have a chocolate lab. He's about 2 years old. He's mostly kenneled or outside during the day, just because he's a full grown dog who still acts like a puppy! He's bigger than most of the dck's so it's just easier to keep him away from the kids when they are all here. I do have one little guy who is 16 mos old who has 2 of those dogs at home, and when my pup runs past him, will spin dcb around and dcb just laughs and laughs. We can have pets here as long as they are UTD on shots and licensed.
tenderhearts 04:19 PM 10-11-2010
We have a black lab who is 3 but he is soooooo mellow, he usually sits where I am or he'll snuggle up on the couch next to someone. If for some reason he doesn't want to be bothered he'll go in the other room.
MarinaVanessa 04:20 PM 10-11-2010
We love pets and can't say no to an animal in need so we have a pet friendly home. We have a black 6lb chihuahua, a black 105lb German Shepherd (the vet has used the words "abnormaly large" to describe him at 9 months old lol) and a big fat fluffy white and grey cat. I keep the dogs outside away from the kids because where one is the other has to be. They literally cannot be seperated. The German Sheperd is now 2 but still a pup but since the only other dog he's ever been around is the chihuahua I believe he thinks he's a small dog too. He doesn't understand why the chihuahua can sit in my lap but he can't. He's clumsy and wags his tail at 50 MPH so I'm afraid he might knock one of the kids over or whack one of them in the face with his tail.

The cat is declawed (was like that when we got him) and loves the kids. He's an old guy and very lazy so the kids love wrapping him up in baby blankets and putting him in the play stroller and crib . All of our animals have their vaccines and the dogs are licensed and registered, etc. We're not required to register or license the cat so we didn't.

We're also looking for a Chinchilla and will probably get one within the next few weeks. I'm lucky that there isn't any regs against animals here (unless it's poisonous, but that's obvious lol). Sorry that I'm babbling. Can you tell I love my pets lol.
DanceMom 04:31 PM 10-11-2010
We have a dog - daycare kids love him and he loves them
Lilbutterflie 07:22 PM 10-11-2010
I have a wonderful 100 lb Anatolian Shepherd and a 20 lb cat. My dog could not be better with the kids. He does everything with us from roaming outside, to going on walks, & going to the park. He is a guardian of the kids. To the point he runs with them when they ride their bikes, and checks them out when they fall down! My cat is great with them, but if pushed to the extreme he will scratch them. The parents are fine with this, and in fact they LOVE my animals. They say it teaches their children to love and respect animals.
safechner 08:14 PM 10-11-2010
I have a dog (it is dachshund) and she will be 6 in November. Usually, she will stay outside all of the time. It is belonging to my both daughters. I don't like to have any cats or dogs in the house. I am very picky because I prefer to keep clean inside the house. I used to love dogs but when I get older, I dont really like it. I dont know why..
marniewon 08:47 PM 10-11-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
We have a black lab who is 3 but he is soooooo mellow, he usually sits where I am or he'll snuggle up on the couch next to someone. If for some reason he doesn't want to be bothered he'll go in the other room.
How did you get such a mellow lab? My 2yo choc lab is so hyper!! He has no idea how big he is, and like someone else said, his tail wags at hyper-speed! He can knock me over, I know he'd knock kids over! He does this thing where he wants to be petted, so he will back up and sit down between your legs (when you are standing) and almost knock you over if/when he backs up too far!! I would love for him to be more mellow!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 03:23 AM 10-12-2010
I dont have a pet, lol. I have a short hairy 4 legged dayfriend who lives here. At least thats what he thinks....lol. He is in with the mix always. Except when Im preparing food or they are eating. Then I just tell him,..."go to mommys bed,.." and he takes a much deserved snooze,. lol. It is work to keep the pet mess limited. I vacuum 3 times a day, and Rascal is a poodle ****zu mix, lol. and doesnt shed. He is bathed once a week, groomed every 6 weeks. Hes very tolerant and loving with the kids. He actually is kind of bored on the weekends,..lol. The parents know when they interview and if they are bothered, they never show it. I tell people he is the only one of my kids I got to pick out. lol.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 03:24 AM 10-12-2010
it bleeped out ****zu mix,..lololol
Unregistered 07:40 AM 10-12-2010
I also have a male black lab that just turned 2 in Sept-very mellow-will lay wherever we are in the house and sleep most of the day. However-I also have a female choc lab who is 6 months-she is another story. Instigates alot with our other dog-she is high energy, Im hoping its just the puppy stage but I have been told chocolates can be very stubborn even as adults. I usually let her stay outside-she prefers to be outside-our older lab wants to be with us at all times.
AnythingsPossible 11:59 AM 10-12-2010
We have 2 dogs, a mut from the pound and a maltese-tzu mix. They have always been around dck, but after an unfortunate accident wth one of our families I am considering putting them away from daycare during the day. One of our friends was bitten by his family dog and ended up getting a bad infection and may need plastic surgery. After visiting him in this hospital it just made me think that they are animals, and you just never know. Our mut is getting older and isn't as patient as she once was are mix is a pup so can be quite rambunctious. Not real sure what to do, anything can happen.
AmandasFCC 12:07 PM 10-12-2010
I have a cat who stays away from the kids (she's very antisocial), and a very social dog. She's a rottie/border collie cross and seriously, I've never met a dog more loving, respectful and sweet. We just got her a couple months ago and the kids and parents all adore her.
Tags:pets
Reply Up