Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Want To Go Back To My OLD School!
daycarediva 09:39 AM 08-20-2015
How do you handle it?

New girl, almost 3, very bright and I am seeing some classic manipulative behaviors. Anyway, she left the former daycare because they really babied her, gave in to every whim. She is potty trained, but she won't get on/off the toilet, wipe herself, put clothes on/off, etc. If she doesn't like what was served, she was allowed to get up and go play OR they would make her something else. I want that color---- they took it away from another child and gave it to her.

She is in total shock here. It is her 4th day, and the drop off dramatics have begun. In addition to that, she is tattling to her mom about every little thing in an attempt to go back to former provider. Yesterday she kept removing her shoes outside so I gave her the option to leave them on, or stay on the deck (has outdoor area rug on it). She agreed to leave them on, then took them off and stepped in mud. When her Mom came, she told her how she didn't want to come back here because I MADE her step in mud and now her feet AND shoes were dirty (I cleaned both).

It is a lot of redirection, but her saying this 1,000 times a day "I'm not coming back here ever again!" "I don't like this school." "former provider's name doesn't make that because I don't like it." "My Mom said I'm not coming back here ya know." is grating on my nerves. Say something? ignore it? I will be addressing it to mom this evening because Mom needs to get tough at home or it's not going to work out here.
laundrymom 10:07 AM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
How do you handle it?

New girl, almost 3, very bright and I am seeing some classic manipulative behaviors. Anyway, she left the former daycare because they really babied her, gave in to every whim. She is potty trained, but she won't get on/off the toilet, wipe herself, put clothes on/off, etc. If she doesn't like what was served, she was allowed to get up and go play OR they would make her something else. I want that color---- they took it away from another child and gave it to her.

She is in total shock here. It is her 4th day, and the drop off dramatics have begun. In addition to that, she is tattling to her mom about every little thing in an attempt to go back to former provider. Yesterday she kept removing her shoes outside so I gave her the option to leave them on, or stay on the deck (has outdoor area rug on it). She agreed to leave them on, then took them off and stepped in mud. When her Mom came, she told her how she didn't want to come back here because I MADE her step in mud and now her feet AND shoes were dirty (I cleaned both).

It is a lot of redirection, but her saying this 1,000 times a day "I'm not coming back here ever again!" "I don't like this school." "former provider's name doesn't make that because I don't like it." "My Mom said I'm not coming back here ya know." is grating on my nerves. Say something? ignore it? I will be addressing it to mom this evening because Mom needs to get tough at home or it's not going to work out here.
I'm sorry you feel that way Sally, we will talk to mom about it when she picks you up.
Then do it.
Mom, sally doesn't understand that this is her school now. That you are happy I'm making her do things for herself. That you agree she is to behave here and not say hurtful things.
If Sally chooses to say hurtful things, Sally will sit in the thinking spot u til she's ready to be nice to me.
Then wait. Either Sally will know you are serious and not putting up w her crap, or mom will defend her and you'll know where you stand.
Good luck.
littletots 10:33 AM 08-20-2015
Oh, nooooo. I totally feel for you. Would bug me, too. Conference time for sure. Transition can take 2 months. Let's hope you get this one on the right track fast
Play Care 01:40 PM 08-20-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I'm sorry you feel that way Sally, we will talk to mom about it when she picks you up.
Then do it.
Mom, sally doesn't understand that this is her school now. That you are happy I'm making her do things for herself. That you agree she is to behave here and not say hurtful things.
If Sally chooses to say hurtful things, Sally will sit in the thinking spot u til she's ready to be nice to me.
Then wait. Either Sally will know you are serious and not putting up w her crap, or mom will defend her and you'll know where you stand.
Good luck.

If the reason she changed day care is because of the babying and mom has been upfront about it, I would totally address to that way.
But her behavior is socially inappropriate as well. And I would address it for the poor behavior it is. Maybe something along the lines of "Sally, it's not okay to say things like that. When you can use nice words you can rejoin the group" and of course cue super fun activity
That said, if you are unsure of moms feelings, or suspect mom may not be 100%on board, I *might* look into replacing. I hate to say that every time, but this type of thing has a way of turning into "provider was MEAN" and that could turn into licensing visit, etc...
Michael 02:46 PM 08-20-2015
Maybe this article has some useful information for the parents:

10 Ways to Help Your Toddler Acclimate to a New Caregiver

http://nspt4kids.com/parenting/10-wa...new-caregiver/
Tags:acclimating children
Reply Up