Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fencing
cheye827 07:02 AM 03-31-2017
We are in Indiana and are in the process of getting licensed. One of the requirements is to have an enclosed space outside for the children to play in. Since we are just starting out, we don't have the money to pay for actual fencing. We also have a rental home, so we would have to get the permission of the landlord and the HOA before we could put up any fencing.

We were looking at temporary play yards that are meant for outside and were wondering if anyone knows if this would still comply with state guidelines?
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by cheye827:
We are in Indiana and are in the process of getting licensed. One of the requirements is to have an enclosed space outside for the children to play in. Since we are just starting out, we don't have the money to pay for actual fencing. We also have a rental home, so we would have to get the permission of the landlord and the HOA before we could put up any fencing.

We were looking at temporary play yards that are meant for outside and were wondering if anyone knows if this would still comply with state guidelines?
I don't know about state regulation compliance but I do know that landlords and HOA's especially are often much more strict so I would check with them first.

Unless you have a pretty lax HOA, most are super strict about temporary fencing and such.

Indiana contact info can be found here: https://www.daycare.com/indiana/
AmyKidsCo 08:24 AM 03-31-2017
We used that green coated wire for years and it worked great. It was perfect when we were renting - easy to put in and easy to take out when we moved. I haven't ever had a HOA to worry about though.
Pestle 08:56 AM 03-31-2017
Any chance the landlord would allow you to install attractive fencing as a tenant improvement and would give you a discount on your rent each month until you've recouped a percentage of the cost?
cheye827 08:59 AM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know about state regulation compliance but I do know that landlords and HOA's especially are often much more strict so I would check with them first.

Unless you have a pretty lax HOA, most are super strict about temporary fencing and such.

Indiana contact info can be found here: https://www.daycare.com/indiana/
This is what we were looking at. The only HOA I have worked with was very lenient, but I know this new one is pretty strict.

https://www.amazon.com/North-States-...utside+playard
cheye827 09:00 AM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
We used that green coated wire for years and it worked great. It was perfect when we were renting - easy to put in and easy to take out when we moved. I haven't ever had a HOA to worry about though.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into that!
cheye827 09:02 AM 03-31-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Any chance the landlord would allow you to install attractive fencing as a tenant improvement and would give you a discount on your rent each month until you've recouped a percentage of the cost?
The landlord would allow us to install fencing, but part of the problem is with the cost and part of the problem is with the HOA. They are super strict. I'm pretty sure our landlord also would not allow us to recoup the costs through reduced rent. I am also splitting the cost of the fencing with my sister-in-law, who runs the daycare with me, so I'm unsure how that would be fair to her.
Pestle 09:07 AM 03-31-2017
Well, anything the HOA would approve would be attractive, so it's definitely a tenant improvement. You might ask. If your landlord did give you a discount, you could adjust the share your sister pays.
Reply Up