Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have A Structured Daycare
Melissa67 01:22 PM 02-23-2017
do you guess teach the kids their abc,123,colors,shapes,or do you just let them learn through play, I've been doing this for 20 yrs. at first I was all about teaching the kids all that,but now I just want them to play,be kids,have fun. I guess I'm getting older
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by Melissa67:
do you guess teach the kids their abc,123,colors,shapes,or do you just let them learn through play, I've been doing this for 20 yrs. at first I was all about teaching the kids all that,but now I just want them to play,be kids,have fun. I guess I'm getting older
There is nothing a child under the age of Kindy needs to know that they can't learn through play.

Here, we play.

All day, every day.
Play Care 02:12 PM 02-23-2017
I do a combination of play/structure but more because *I* get bored with all day play
Unregistered 02:13 PM 02-23-2017
I do both depending on the child. My program is play based so during the course of the various activities children are exposed to the concepts (abc, numbers, etc). If a child shows more interest and wants to do more with these concepts then I work with them one on one or in small groups. My purpose is to have a child enjoy learning not having to learn because they are forced to which is soon enough once they start kindergarten, some even in preschool.
daycare 02:15 PM 02-23-2017
our QRIS requires early reading, letter names/sounds, numbers and writing.

Age 4 and up...

But we do it through playing, painting, drawling and so on.

Did I mention I really don't like QRIS....lol
Leigh 02:33 PM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is nothing a child under the age of Kindy needs to know that they can't learn through play.

Here, we play.

All day, every day.

Melissa67 02:36 PM 02-23-2017
I don't like it either,I quit the training, waiting til the make it manditory, then I'm done
daycare 02:41 PM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by Melissa67:
I don't like it either,I quit the training, waiting til the make it manditory, then I'm done
lol you are a smart person....lol
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 02-23-2017
I participate in QRIS.

We have requirements for kindergarten readiness (when participating in QRIS) but we still don't do any type of structured learning.

It can ALL be done through play.
JackandJill 02:44 PM 02-23-2017
Here we play all day. The only things structured are meal times and rest.

This morning a parent commented on how much dck is counting at home... I have never once "sat and taught" kids to count. It's all through games, songs and playing
daycare 02:44 PM 02-23-2017
I participate in QRIS.

We have requirements for kindergarten readiness (when participating in QRIS) but we still don't do any type of structured learning.

It can ALL be done through play.
I wish we did.....BC let me tell you...

Our curriculum that we have to use is well.....lets just say it's a lot for a child to learn and it's a lot for a teacher to teach.

I do love teaching the kids, but it just seems over the top for me.

I miss the days already of just playing, dancing, singing and having an old fashion fun day.

The kids are always having fun, laughing and enjoying what we plan, I just hate all the planning....
kendallina 04:21 PM 02-23-2017
I have a routine that I follow with the kids everyday. And two separate 'group' times-- one for open ended art and one for circle time- songs, finger plays, games, stories. We learn through play here, I have all 3-5 year olds. I love doing activities with the kids.
racemom 06:57 PM 02-23-2017
Depends on the group I have. If I have a difficult group/older group I am more structured. Actually, I let the kids decide through actions what they need, I currently have a younger group, 2 year olds, so we do mostly play. We do a small calender time, which consists of yesterday was, today is, tommorow will be. Sing today is song and check the weather. Later we do a small circles time, one short story and let them choose 3 songs. About 10 minutes total. Otherwise our day is filled with free play, dancing, and art supplies and puzzles available if the are interested.

If I have a more difficult group, I decide what, when and who we play with. Very much scheduled, everyone knows when to expect each thing, and I will decide what blocks are available during block time, we will play with a timer set, and I will pick partners. My last group was actually a group who had behavior problems in other rooms, ranged in age from 2-4 and everything was teacher led/chose/and timed. When my room was changed and became a 2 year old room, it changed my whole day and actually I struggled with being bored because there is not so much planning and preventing problems.
Unregistered 01:52 AM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I have a routine that I follow with the kids everyday. And two separate 'group' times-- one for open ended art and one for circle time- songs, finger plays, games, stories. We learn through play here, I have all 3-5 year olds. I love doing activities with the kids.
This is me too ( except only 3-5's)! I'd be bored without the structure and the kids love our short circle time. I love storytelling and use lots of props.
Josiegirl 04:09 AM 02-24-2017
So glad to read a lot of you rely on mostly playing. It makes me feel better about what I'm doing. We do most of our talking during meal times, such as talking about kindness. We sing songs that teach counting, days of the week, etc. While reading stories we talk about some of the letters that their names start with. We talk about the stories...what do you think will happen? What would you do? We turn every little thing into a teaching moment but don't overdo it to the extent they get sick of it. Last year we did some fun things with worms and caterpillars/butterflies and it was real. They remembered more from doing those very interactive activities than through a book or any other way. It was amazing fun and hands-on.

There will be enough organized learning in all these kids' futures, why start it so young when they still are curious and want/need to explore everything??

So yeh, only structure here revolves around meals, quiet time and outdoor time.
Sumshine 07:29 AM 02-24-2017
I do a bit of traditional pre k every morning. We sit and briefly go over a letter, number, color, and shape every day and do a worksheet for the older ones that involves beginning handwriting of some sort and the little ones just color. If a kid isn't feeling it they don't have to participate. Luckily my kiddos genuinely like it and want to participate. It isn't long and drawn out and we make it fun... sing, dance, etc. I make fun activities like for numbers week I made a parking garage with a cardboard box and we parked our numbered car in the proper stall

As far as what we do daily... that is structured as in we do the same types of things at the same time every day. Meals, snack, lunch, nap, and outdoor time are always the same and the kiddos know their routine. They will come down from AM snack and be ready to go outside (if weather permits) or go straight down from lunch and get ready to be changed/go potty and head into the nap room.

Without that structure I'd go crazy lol we strive off our "routine". When it comes to curriculum I do see benefits of introducing more school like environment just so it isn't a culture shock for them when they move on to kindergarten but I agree there is such a thing as too much and a lot of the pre k stuff I looked at was completely provider led and EXPENSIVE! No way even my advanced 3 yo could do that stuff without a lot of help from me and if you are doing 3/4ths of it for them are they really learning anything????

I am not a professional nor do I have degree in any early childhood type stuff but I do know from 3 siblings under 18 and my own son how a kiddos mind works and I try really hard to provide an environment where we learn as we go and in ways that will benefit them the most
DaveA 07:34 AM 02-24-2017
Unabashedly play based. We have some routines/ structure but no "academic prep" stuff. Our local school has a good 1/2 day pre-k I recommend for the year before Kindergarten. They can get "ready" for school there.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 02-24-2017
I think alot of providers are interpreting "play based" as not routine or unstructured. Or meaning the provider has no interaction with the kids.

Play based is NOT a free for all.
Play based can include routines and schedules too.

There are just no worksheets, cookie cutter crafts or specific activities that provide little or no "options" on the children's behalf.

I think when words like "structured", "routine" and "play-based" are discussed....the definitions vary and often times lend to confusion. Maybe the focus should be on defining those words first.
Pestle 08:34 AM 02-24-2017
Yes, I have a structured schedule with a variety of activities--group free play, art time, reading time, etc. I don't break from the schedule unless a child clearly needs it.

I'm from an unschooling/Montessori background and am working to integrate those philosophies into my program. On the Montessori side, the materials and environment have been carefully curated to develop life skills. On the unschooling side, I direct the free play and outdoor play in a way that's open to me popping in and saying things like,

"Let's be quiet for a minute and listen. What can you hear? Cars, yes. Your friends, yes. A bird? Where could that bird be? Oh, I see it, too! Do you think birds have feathers or hair, like us? Feathers, huh? And do birds have little babies or do they lay eggs? Oh, they lay eggs! That's right." And from there we discuss mammals vs. birds vs. reptiles, and another day we discuss the particulars of mammals ("Look at Mister Johnny. He's drinking his milk. Mammals make milk for their babies, and they don't lay eggs, and they have hair on their bodies. Do you see Mister Johnny's hair? Did he hatch from an egg? No?"), and we repeat the same conversations with variations, and after a few times, three-year-olds are pointing out the wildlife and saying things like, "That's a robin. It's not a mammal. I'm a mammal. Cows are mammals too. . ." etc. No textbooks, no worksheets, no curriculum, and no pressure with the prompting. The kids are proud to share what they've learned and puzzle it out aloud.
Gemma 08:44 AM 02-24-2017

I think when words like "structured", "routine" and "play-based" are discussed....the definitions vary and often times lend to confusion. Maybe the focus should be on defining those words first.

and that^^^ is the reason why I often decide is best I don't post
DaveA 09:26 AM 02-24-2017
I think alot of providers are interpreting "play based" as not routine or unstructured. Or meaning the provider has no interaction with the kids.

There are just no worksheets, cookie cutter crafts or specific activities that provide little or no "options" on the children's behalf.

And once again BC puts it much better than I could have.
CalCare 09:58 AM 02-24-2017
There are also variations in the word "play based". I interviewed to work at a school that considered themselves both "play based" and "very academic". I ran the other direction The ridiculous thing is, they call themselves Reggio. People just throw these words out all over, hoping a parent will bite. Think about it, if you say academic and play based curriculum, you can throw a much wider net for clients than if you choose one or the other. There is actually a lot of writing on the definition of "play based".
kendallina 10:12 AM 02-24-2017

Yes! Great point.
Reply Up