Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD Jacket
daycare 04:19 PM 05-01-2014
I have a child that is almost 3 and is having issues with her jacket. This morning it was about 75 when she was dropped off and it hit over 90 today.

She did not have it on so right away she starts screaming that she needs her jacket. DCD makes the mistake of saying that it was in the car when it was not and now the child has her hopes up that she is going to get it.

DCD is upset that the child is this upset as it is not normal for this child to get upset like this. I tell DCD don't need the jacket it's going to be very hot today, DCD insist that he wants to stop by to drop it off later. I ask him not to becuase I don't want DCG to see him and start this all over again.

Well dcd leaves and DCG never settles. for almost 2 hours she screamed cried off and on about this stupid jacket. Mind you it's now about 80 outside. We are about to go to the park.

I am making the call for pick up because I cant get her to settle in for the day, I am tired of the tantrums that have now been going on for almost 3 hours.

I call DCD to tell him to pick up and he says well I knew this would happen. I knew I should have dropped the jacket off. DCD comes and picks up but you can tell he is mad.

I didnt say anything because I was frustrated. I know that this child has some form of attachment issues with this jacket, but am I supposed to let her wear a jacket in/out when it is going to be this hot. We are in for a very hot summer it can get up to 115 here.

I don't even know what to say here. WWYD??
TwinKristi 04:53 PM 05-01-2014
He would have wanted you to put her in the dang jacket today?? That's crazy!! I don't blame you for sending her home. I leave jackets in cubbies, I know that doesn't work for everyone, but just a light jacket to have on hand. We rarely need them here except for walks and playing outside when it's pretty chilly during Dec-Jan-Feb but otherwise long sleeves is good enough most of the year even at 7am! LOL

I don't know how to address the attachment to the jacket... what's the big deal about the jacket? I guess I would ask him why she's so attached to it and why he would want her to wear it today?? I mean it's crazy hot!!
sharlan 05:14 PM 05-01-2014
I would not have called the parent home over this. I would have allowed him to drop off the jacket if he could have done it without the child seeing him.
lynne 05:32 PM 05-01-2014
I to would have let him drop off the jacket, If she gets too hot wearing it she can tie it around her waist. Then she has it with her.
spinnymarie 05:39 PM 05-01-2014
Well the issue is clearly this child's attachment to the jacket, not whether or not you should've let him drop it off or called to pick up.
If she is so attached, he needs to #1 make sure he brings it with at first drop-off or #2 be prepared to come and pick her up, for the time being.
I would call a mtg with parents to discuss the jacket issue, as you cannot safely have her wear a jacket in that heat and it's only going to get worse from here, and they need to be helping her detach from the jacket. Three is too old for this.
This has never happened/been addressed before?
TwinKristi 05:46 PM 05-01-2014
Yeah if licensing showed up and she's wearing a jacket in 90* weather and sweaty and red-faced Daycare would be cited! Insisting on wearing a jacket in this weather is not okay. I mean, we could only stand the heat for a little bit at a time today and yesterday with the water table and shade and lots of water. I would not tolerate someone wearing a jacket today, tantrum or not!
hope 05:53 PM 05-01-2014
Will she wear the jacket tied around her waist? If so, I would drop the issue and let her have it. If parents forget it they take her with them to get it and then come back.
wdmmom 06:59 PM 05-01-2014
Allow dcg to bring it but don't have her wear it.
Lucy 07:07 PM 05-01-2014
To put a twist on a (really bad) Jay-Z song...

We got 99 problems, but a jacket ain't one!

In other words, pick your battles. IMO, this one wasn't worth fighting. In the big picture, does it really matter whether she brings a jacket on a hot day?

I'm totally not criticizing. Just my 2 cents.
spud912 07:58 PM 05-01-2014
I probably would have done what you did . Dcd will get over it....hopefully they try to wean her of the jacket attachment before it gets more ridiculous.
countrymom 06:14 AM 05-02-2014
I wouldn't have called dad and I wouldn\t allow the jacket to come into the house. If you want to scream and yell all day, you get to sit in the naughty spot till you can behave. I don't let kids yell and scream here because its not fair to any of us. You can also have a special coat that only stays at your house. I have special blankets that stay here and the kids think its the best thing ever.
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 05-02-2014
Is this a new behavior?

What has everyone been doing about this attachment to the jacket up until this point?
Reply Up