Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Now? Advice Please...
Liliya 05:21 AM 05-03-2011
One of my parents gave me a bad report on my evaluation form, made a few comments and I know she did it because she was mad at me.
So,what do I do now? Also she marked that " they do not wish to have a conference at this time"
I just feel bad, knowing that they feel that way about my services.
It never happened to me in 5 years,so what is my next step?
Thanks,
cheerfuldom 05:35 AM 05-03-2011
is this at a home daycare or a facility?
Meyou 05:37 AM 05-03-2011
What is she mad about?
Liliya 05:38 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
is this at a home daycare or a facility?
It is Home,and last week I made a comment to parents about morning messy diapers,so mom was not happy about it and did not talk to me for 2 days.
Cat Herder 05:38 AM 05-03-2011
Did you assure her it was anonymous?
nannyde 05:40 AM 05-03-2011
why did you pass out evaluation forms?
godiva83 05:41 AM 05-03-2011
Ugh I am sorry that is awful, and very cowardly of her to say negative things and not want to discuss them. However, by her doing that it must not be that bad!!!
I would perhaps write an email to each parent thanking them for the feedback and the time spent doing so- on hers I would address her concerns and please ask for at least a follow up email.. Say it is important that all are pleased with your service and you are willing to work together to make it happen. IF she doesn't respond disregard her evaluation- and I would be tempted to give her warning or term her you don't need childish behavior from adults
Liliya 05:44 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
why did you pass out evaluation forms?
Because it is time for my re-evaluation.
Liliya 05:55 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Did you assure her it was anonymous?
About what??? messy diapers? I put a note on a daily paper,she was first to pick up,she asked if he comes messy,I said yes,and asked her to check him before taking him here. She said that, they do check and that he must doing it on a way here,( next door neighbor)
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Liliya:
About what??? messy diapers? I put a note on a daily paper,she was first to pick up,she asked if he comes messy,I said yes,and asked her to check him before taking him here. She said that, they do check and that he must doing it on a way here,( next door neighbor)
I am thinking I came off wrong. Sorry, I am having a rough morning with a sick dog.

Did you assure her the evaluation form was anonomous or is her name on it.

If her name is on it then it is completely appropriate to talk to her about it.

If not your hands may be tied. YKWIM?
Liliya 06:06 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I am thinking I came off wrong. Sorry, I am having a rough morning with a sick dog.

Did you assure her the evaluation form was anonomous or is her name on it.

If her name is on it then it is completely appropriate to talk to her about it.

If not your hands may be tied. YKWIM?
Her name on it,
countrymom 06:09 AM 05-03-2011
why do you need to re evaluate yourself, I think thats the part I don't understand. Are you not sure of what you are doing. I've never heard of people doing this. I have too many coming and going to be bothered with this. I think you need to get rid of it and have and open policy with parents instead.
Liliya 06:17 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
why do you need to re evaluate yourself, I think thats the part I don't understand. Are you not sure of what you are doing. I've never heard of people doing this. I have too many coming and going to be bothered with this. I think you need to get rid of it and have and open policy with parents instead.
This is for a State,,I think I should have at least one, just for my Licensor to see that parents had an opportunity to evaluate my child care.
Meeko 06:18 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I agree. Get rid of the added paperwork (goodness knows we have enough!) and deal with the parents face to face.
wdmmom 07:43 AM 05-03-2011
Here's my thought...

If they are a current client, why would you pass out evaluation forms? They are obviously continuously paying you so if there were a "true" problem, they wouldn't pay you. They would just provide you with a termination notice and move on.

I only provide a small questionaire to clients that are leaving (and I provide it to them on their last day at departure time). It is 3 questions. It basically has them list why they are leaving, if they would return and if we can use them as a referral. .

I wouldn't worry about a bad evaluation...especially if you are the only one that is going to see it.

If I did an evaluation form, I guarantee 1 parent each month would put something smart on there. It's because I don't deal with the BS parents have to toss my way. I manage to stay at full capacity and they may not like me because of a particular rule or I call them out on something.
laundrymom 07:54 AM 05-03-2011
I'm required to do Evaluations annually. If she signed and returned it I would approach her with it.
nannyde 08:01 AM 05-03-2011
This is for a State,,I think I should have at least one, just for my Licensor to see that parents had an opportunity to evaluate my child care.
So it's not required... you just wanted it to show the state? Is it for some kind of accreditation or a volunteer way for you to show the state your parents like your work?

I've never even considered doing this.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 05-03-2011
When I am up for license re-newal, my licensor sends out 3 parent evaluation forms to randomly selected parents I either have or had in care over the last 24 months. This is the only evaluation my past or current parents receive. I don't know who and I don't see anyting that gets written on the form. I am sure licensor would let me know if any of them came back negatively.

I agree with PP, if a family is still attending/paying;family is still happy.
nannyde 08:12 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I am up for license re-newal, my licensor sends out 3 parent evaluation forms to randomly selected parents I either have or had in care over the last 24 months. This is the only evaluation my past or current parents receive. I don't know who and I don't see anyting that gets written on the form. I am sure licensor would let me know if any of them came back negatively.

I agree with PP, if a family is still attending/paying;family is still happy.
When I am up for license re-newal, my licensor sends out 3 parent evaluation forms to randomly selected parents I either have or had in care over the last 24 months.

How do they even know who has been in your business?

Stuff like this makes me so grateful to live in Iowa.

I'm not employed by the State. They have no business talking to my customers unless they have found me to be non-compliant or abusive.
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 05-03-2011
When I am up for license re-newal, my licensor sends out 3 parent evaluation forms to randomly selected parents I either have or had in care over the last 24 months.

How do they even know who has been in your business?

Stuff like this makes me so grateful to live in Iowa.

I'm not employed by the State. They have no business talking to my customers unless they have found me to be non-compliant or abusive.
When filling out the paperwork for re-licensing we have to list the families (names, addresses, children's name and DOB's and hours of care they had/have) for EVERY SINGLE family we have had in care for the last 24 month period....even drop ins.

After we turn in the re-newal packet of paperwork the licensor goes over everything, sends out the evaluation forms and then calls me after she gets the evaluation forms back and sets up a renewal visit. After the renewal visit, I wait and see if I get my license renewed. We do this same thing every two years.

I've been doing it since 1994 and it hasn't changed....
cheerfuldom 08:43 AM 05-03-2011
I would never ever do this to myself unless the state required it.
Liliya 08:50 AM 05-03-2011
I know,I should not giving it to her,just because I knew that she was mad,but I did,,and I need to respond to her. I just do not know what to say.
Michelle 08:50 AM 05-03-2011
we don't have this in Calif.
MarinaVanessa 08:52 AM 05-03-2011
Wow 24 months? That's it? I'm in CA and I'm required to keep all paperwork from clients for 3 years minimum. That's past and current client's paperwork. Past clients I don't have to have updated information on or anything like that but if I have an infant that stays with me up to age 5 I have to keep their paperwork current and then keep it an extra 3 years after they leave DC.

I also do evaluations, but for several different reasons. I am on a stipend and part of that process is to do evaluations at the start of the program, and again at least once a year. If we reach our goal (getting a teaching permit, getting an AA etc) we have to do another evaluation. The goal is to take the evaluations and our Environment Rating Scale score and make a plan to improve the program etc. so they want to see if the parents are aware and can see those improvements.

But on top of that I like to do evaluations. Even when I wasn't required to do it I was thinking about doing it. I want to see if there are things that the families are unecessary or if I do things that they really don't like. As an example I used to do daily reports and after my first evaluation all of the parents said that it was a lot of papers to read through and they thought it was unecessary so I stopped doing it. Instead I would talk to them at the end of each day and tell them how the day went. At the next evaluation some families said that doing this each day sometimes took a lot of time, others that dropped off only while spouse picked up said that they never got to talk to me about what we were doing etc. This gave me the idea to do a newsletter monthly. This has worked out well for me and in the end the evaluations have actually saved me a lot of time and I have less paperwork. Most of the time they say good things anyway and I use what they write as testimonials for my website, resume, parent packets, advertisements etc.
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Wow 24 months? That's it? I'm in CA and I'm required to keep all paperwork from clients for 3 years minimum.
No, I have to keep all my records for everyone for like 5 years but I only have to list the families from the last 24 months during the renewal process.
Liliya 11:07 AM 05-03-2011
So it's not required... you just wanted it to show the state? Is it for some kind of accreditation or a volunteer way for you to show the state your parents like your work?

I've never even considered doing this.
It is required, for a Stars program.
grandmom 01:53 PM 05-03-2011
This is what I'd do.

Send her an email. (Then you have some proof you tried to negotiate).
Ask her about her commnent. Check your language to make sure you have a contrite heart, you want to make your program better, etc.

When she emails you back, keep it, it may come in handy some day when she reports you to the state for some bogus thing because she's mad at you.

Good luck.
\
Liliya 03:19 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:
This is what I'd do.

Send her an email. (Then you have some proof you tried to negotiate).
Ask her about her commnent. Check your language to make sure you have a contrite heart, you want to make your program better, etc.

When she emails you back, keep it, it may come in handy some day when she reports you to the state for some bogus thing because she's mad at you.

Good luck.
\
They do not check e-mails often,I know it because I would send newsletter and she will tell me few days or weeks later that she got it.
Today at pick up I told her that we need a schedule a meeting.
I can do it after hours only,,with no kids around. I need both parents here,looks like they will be available tomorrow night. Will see...

Thank you for good luck, I need it.
gkids09 03:32 PM 05-03-2011
I'm in TN, and also am required to send out evaluation forms to all parents at least once per year. My licensor comes at renewal time and checks to make sure I have them turned in, as well as several other forms.

I understand exactly where you're coming from...I have only had one parent ever complain about anything on my evaluation form, and it was one who left owing almost $150. My grandmother owned the daycare when she left, but I was basically running it...Since my name wasn't on the license, I wasn't in the position to fight for the money, and my grandmother was sick of the business so she let it go.

Anyway, good luck with your meeting tomorrow. I hope you get things figured out!! If she's the only one who complained, I don't think I'd worry too much about it. I would worry some because that's my nature unfortunately, but if everyone else gave you positive reviews, I'd try to let hers slide off my back! HUGS!
Liliya 03:42 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by gkids09:
I'm in TN, and also am required to send out evaluation forms to all parents at least once per year. My licensor comes at renewal time and checks to make sure I have them turned in, as well as several other forms.

I understand exactly where you're coming from...I have only had one parent ever complain about anything on my evaluation form, and it was one who left owing almost $150. My grandmother owned the daycare when she left, but I was basically running it...Since my name wasn't on the license, I wasn't in the position to fight for the money, and my grandmother was sick of the business so she let it go.

Anyway, good luck with your meeting tomorrow. I hope you get things figured out!! If she's the only one who complained, I don't think I'd worry too muhttps://www.daycare.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gifch about it. I would worry some because that's my nature unfortunately, but if everyone else gave you positive reviews, I'd try to let hers slide off my back! HUGS!
Thank you,
I have 5 families and all of them gave me all 5's ( and I know that I am not perfect) and very nice comments. This is going to be my first meeting in 5 years to discuss something like that with a parent. I do not think
I will be sleeping tonight,,,
Unregistered 03:52 PM 05-03-2011
and it doesn't need to be discussed.

Its a chance to voice a concern that doesn't warrant a FTF talk, and a non-confrontational way to do it. Be grateful to have it, use it to improve your care and repeat for improvement in a reasonable period- say 2 or 3 months later. If the same parent has a real issue, give her a FTF next month. Look at it this way - its easy to criticize a parent they walk out the door. Its not as hard to criticize a care giver - they keep your child.

On the morning dipes - check on the way in and send mom to change it if its that much of a problem.

Feedback is crucial for improvement of any service. Why wouldn't anyone seek it?
Liliya 03:54 PM 05-03-2011
Oh,,and last year they gave me all 5's,when only the older child was in my care for about 6 months,,if anything changes here,its only for the better.
nannyde 04:41 PM 05-03-2011
Thank you,
I have 5 families and all of them gave me all 5's ( and I know that I am not perfect) and very nice comments. This is going to be my first meeting in 5 years to discuss something like that with a parent. I do not think
I will be sleeping tonight,,,
I'm confused.

Do you think this eval is a sign that the mom is going to terminate care so you will loose money?
Kaddidle Care 05:40 PM 05-03-2011
One of my parents gave me a bad report on my evaluation form, made a few comments and I know she did it because she was mad at me.
So,what do I do now? Also she marked that " they do not wish to have a conference at this time"
I just feel bad, knowing that they feel that way about my services.
It never happened to me in 5 years,so what is my next step?
Thanks,
I know,I should not giving it to her,just because I knew that she was mad,but I did,,and I need to respond to her. I just do not know what to say.
Tell her where the large rectangle with the round knob is.
If she's not happy then she's too dim-witted to know where the door is without being told.
Liliya 06:43 PM 05-03-2011
I'm confused.

Do you think this eval is a sign that the mom is going to terminate care so you will loose money?
No,I just feel bad knowing that somebody is not happy with me,,based on evaluation they are not happy. I hope that they will tell me that they were mad about my comment regarding messy diapers and this is why they gave me a low score.
Nannyde,,what would you do? just ignore it? You said you do not do evaluations, but what if you were in my situation? I just can not work knowing that somebody is mad at me.
nannyde 06:51 PM 05-03-2011
No,I just feel bad knowing that somebody is not happy with me,,based on evaluation they are not happy. I hope that they will tell me that they were mad about my comment regarding messy diapers and this is why they gave me a low score.
Nannyde,,what would you do? just ignore it? You said you do not do evaluations, but what if you were in my situation? I just can not work knowing that somebody is mad at me.
Friend,

You can't do this job well without pissing people off. It's just not possible.

What did you say to her about the messy diaper? specifically
Liliya 07:00 PM 05-03-2011
Friend,

I wrote on a daily note,,"please make sure that your child has a clean diaper every morning"
Dad drops off,mom picks up,,when she saw that note she asked me if he comes messy,I said yes,she said that she checks him in the morning and he must have done it on the way over, even though they live right next door and it takes 30 seconds to get to my house. I just told her to make sure the dad checks him before leaving the house, then she didn't speak to me the next two days.
nannyde 07:12 PM 05-03-2011
I wrote on a daily note,,"please make sure that your child has a clean diaper every morning"
Dad drops off,mom picks up,,when she saw that note she asked me if he comes messy,I said yes,she said that she checks him in the morning and he must have done it on the way over, even though they live right next door and it takes 30 seconds to get to my house. I just told her to make sure the dad checks him before leaving the house, then she didn't speak to me the next two days.
Gotcha

So Dad doesn't want to clean the poopy diaper so they are using the "he pooped on the way over" trick. Unforntuately they live right next door so the odds of that happening is zero.

Do you think it's the night diaper he is coming in? And..... how old is the kid?

The Dad knows the kid has pooped and has figured out ways to say words to put the solution to his not wanting to change him on your clock. You are telling them the saying words to you aren't working.... that you know their ruse.. and to knock it off.

She got schooled and is upset because a) the kid can't come poopy anymore and b) she doens't want YOU telling them what to do.

So....... she's behaving badly.

That simple

Don't worry about it. You have a right for them to treat you with respect.
countrymom 06:29 AM 05-04-2011
I just don't understand why parents don't want to change poopy diapers, and when you call them out then they get all huffy on you.
Mike Lassiter 06:34 AM 05-04-2011
Friend,

So true. You are in a leadership position and will always have someone criticizing you for everything you do. If you make rules you have to enforce them, otherwise they are not rules but suggestions that imply they can be followed or not depending on the person.
I think in my reading all the post on this fourm what has really surprised me is how so many of you have more trouble with the grownups and not so much the kids. I see you being an authority figure to the kids but the grownups see you at best as equals maybe less and they feel they can CHOOSE to comply or not when from each of your perspectives it is not optional.
We are going to DHS orientation next week trying to get something started in our area. I must say listening to all the different issues has truly been eye opening! And it is helping me to see many potential problems and why a handbook and contract are so strongly used in this business.
dEHmom 06:47 AM 05-04-2011
i send out an evalution on the 2 week trial point, then again at about the 6 month mark. it doesn't allow much room for negativity, but it allows parents to express their satisfaction or give any points they might not feel comfortable, or forget to address during a quick pick up drop off. While I do realize there is the opportunity for them to write something that may hurt my feelings, it allows me to improve my business. I know for a fact, that all my parents are happy, but sometimes there's a little issue like.....johnny is hungry when I pick him up. or I can tell he isn't napping well, and goes to bed too early, and usually my parents tell me that they can tell johnny didn't nap well, but they don't get upset by it. They are parents and they know that you cannot force a child to sleep. Sometimes they just don't cooperate.
I have a little blurb above the form that states clear and open communication is key to a successful relationship. This just gives parents the opportunity to speak their mind, when they may not be comfortable in a confrontational setting. I know I would never feel comfortable walking into daycare and saying i'm not happy with _______________. I've seen many providers complaining on here when dcp's state something. It is awkward and sometimes it's just hard to find the moment to express the feelings, or you miss it, and feel like it's too late to say something.

I have a dcb who poops 3 minutes after mom leaves. It's clock work.
But it doesn't matter if he's an hour late being dropped off, he poops 3 minutes after she leaves everytime.

Does your child enjoy and look forward to coming back? Yes or No

Have you seen a difference in your child/ren’s behavior since they’ve started (good or bad)? Yes or No

If yes, please explain…..
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please tell me how you feel about the care being provided to your child/ren….
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Is there anything you’d like me to improve on or incorporate into our daily activities?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please use the lines below to share any concerns you have, or comments/questions?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please Sign _______________________________ Date _______________________
Tags:evaluation, evaluation form
Reply Up