Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weird Potty Situation
Meyou 05:41 AM 10-31-2011
I have a DCG who is almost 2.5. She started expressing interest in the potty a few weeks ago so I started letting her sit at our planned potty times and encouraged her to ask me if she had to go. All normal. Here we are 3 week later and she's totally trained here. Including dry through naps. BUT she's not trained at all at home. She refused to even sit on the potty or talk about it or wear undies at home. She freaks and throws a tantrum.

So do I put her in underwear here? If I knew nothing about home I would already have her in undies...she's that good here. But she has literally never peed on the potty at home and won't go near it.

I don't want to push her. At my house it's pretty mellow. I just say, "Come on lady, it's time to see if a pee is in there before we go outside/to snack/etc." Or she just tells me she has to go and goes (with a little pants help). I take her diaper off and put a fresh one on when she's done.

WWYD?
awestbrook713 05:44 AM 10-31-2011
Hmmmm that is strange I have the complete opposite problem but the child isn't completely trained either place.

I would put her in underwear if she is that good at your home and if she does have an accident just use the diapers again. Maybe ask what the parents would prefer too. Good Luck and awesome job on potty training!!
SilverSabre25 05:53 AM 10-31-2011
I would guess she's getting a lot of potty pressure at home from someone

or, she doesn't have much control/power at home and is using something she CAN control (pottying) as a source for that psycological need

or she gets LOTS of attention for the potty tantrums and is doing it out of habit/for the attention
Heidi 05:59 AM 10-31-2011
Do you and parents have the same kind of potty? Do you use a potty chair and they use the toilet of vs versa? Could there be something scarey about their potty? Not scarey to you and me but scarey to a kid.****st stains? lol who knows what might freak her out!

Have YOU asked her why she wont use the potty at home? Something like "hey, you really like using the potty here at Miss x's house, but you dont like to use the potty at home, can you tell me why?"

Maybe she is a good candidate for pullups? At home, she could go pantless, as well, just the pullup. If she is more independently going overall, she may just do it at home, without asssistance. If it's a power struggle with her parents, then handing it over to her without a lot of commotion may do the trick. Mom shouldn't say anything at all, just keep her in a pullup alone or a pullup and a skirt or dresses, and then see what she does.
Heidi 06:01 AM 10-31-2011
THis keeps editing me....I said R U S T stains, but apparently, the program thinks I am trying to say something else....lol
Meyou 06:15 AM 10-31-2011
These kids spend the max amount of time here every week and are hard to handle at home for both parents. I can see it being a power struggle. They control at home with tantrums and whining. Mom complains they crawl all over her all the time...you know that type of behavior.

I tell her to go potty at home and she tells me ok but then I hear about only tantrums. I have a seat on the toilet and a stool. They have the same and a potty chair so she has a choice. She's not really that verbal so getting an explaination is hard. She has lots of words...she just has trouble putting thoughts together if that makes sense.
Heidi 07:24 AM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
These kids spend the max amount of time here every week and are hard to handle at home for both parents. I can see it being a power struggle. They control at home with tantrums and whining. Mom complains they crawl all over her all the time...you know that type of behavior.

I tell her to go potty at home and she tells me ok but then I hear about only tantrums. I have a seat on the toilet and a stool. They have the same and a potty chair so she has a choice. She's not really that verbal so getting an explaination is hard. She has lots of words...she just has trouble putting thoughts together if that makes sense.

Sure it makes sense!

So, I guess the question goes back to, can she be potty trained at your house and not at home? I say yes, just keep doing what you're doing. It's less diapers to change, at any rate!
dave4him 12:24 PM 10-31-2011
Wonder what her potty at home is like. I had a friend once whose bathroom was dark green and the children stayed away from it because they thought alligators lived in that one.... silly... i stayed away from it too
misspollywog 01:08 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
THis keeps editing me....I said R U S T stains, but apparently, the program thinks I am trying to say something else....lol
Glad you clarified, I was fixating on what the bad word could possibly be! Too funny.
Michelle 02:43 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:
Glad you clarified, I was fixating on what the bad word could possibly be! Too funny.
I was thinking thing same thing!!!
Like a game of crossword.

I was also thinking that maybe her toilet flushes loud.
My son was always afraid of loud toilets.
Also, sometimes mean older sibling, cousins etc. might be telling her there's monsters or spiders in her toilet.
Ariana 09:38 AM 11-01-2011
I would guess that the parents aren't actually interested in potty training her at home and are lying to you about her reaction perhaps? Just a thought because it's very odd!!
Tags:potty issues, weird
Reply Up