Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Organization Advice
MissNic 08:39 PM 09-11-2013
So, this is something that I have been trying to figure out for weeks. Actually, it's one of the reasons I decided to join the forums in the first place. My classroom is fortunate to have a ton of toys; thing is, I have two large cabinets with only two shelves about three feet apart in each. Since I try to rotate toys on a weekly basis, the cabinets are in complete disarray. I'm at my wits end trying to find a system to keep them organized.

I'd like to know how other caregivers in a classroom setting have managed to organize their toys, especially for infants and toddlers. How do you manage to rotate toys and keep them orderly? Links to resources would be great as well!

While I'm on the topic, I'd also like to know how others organize their classroom toys for young toddlers. I have buckets for the toys in my room that are low and sturdy but the kids like to turn them over and push them around and climb up on them. While it's completely appropriate for them to do this, my administrator insists it's not safe and when they can climb that extra six inches, they can reach every surface in my classroom.

I'll stop before I ramble any more but any advice on these would be great. Thanks in advance!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:16 AM 09-12-2013
I keep my toys organized in containers according to what type of toy they are. Blocks, building type toys together. Manipulatives together, etc. That way when I go to switch I switch like items. Wooden blocks may switch out for lincoln logs, snowflake builders will switch with peg boards and pegs, food items switch out etc. They are all in bins. And yes, some weeks it takes me totally cleaning out my closet but that is the goal!
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 09-12-2013
The only organizational advice I have is to downsize.

I have gotten rid of more than 50% of what toys I had.... The kids play longer, deeper, more cooperatively and nicer since their choices are limited now.

I do keep a few toys stored in totes to bring out during certain seasons/times of the year but honestly kids really don't need half of what they have.
MissNic 03:00 PM 09-12-2013
You're right Blackcat. I try not to put out more than 40 toys at a time for the seven kids in my classroom but I like to rotate frequently. We're also opening two more classrooms next year (11-16 more kids) and we're going to need the extra toys. We're a small non-profit and I never get to buy anything new for my program, it all has to be donated. (Unlike the preschool program. *fury*)

MrsS, what kind of bins are you using? Do you let the kids play with them? I have bins but none of them can come out of the cabinet unless the kids are sleeping because when toddlers stand on them they break.

I really want buckets/bins that are low enough for the infants to get toys from but sturdy enough to stand up to the toddlers. Which... could be a futile effort. But I can dream. =p
Cat Herder 03:57 PM 09-12-2013
For the littles I like to store toys in bins, rotated out daily.

I put them out in a small sandbox on the floor (mine is red). After they clean-up for nap I put the lid on it. Simple.

At end of day I toss them in the tub to soak, hang them to dry in a mesh laundry bag, and toss in the next bin to be ready for morning.
Attached: turtle_60.jpg (1.1 KB) 
Tags:downsizing, organization
Reply Up