Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking About Switching From Center
Unregistered 06:36 AM 08-15-2013
So not sure if this belongs here, if not, forgive me, but this seems like a good place to ask.

My daughters is 2. She's been attending centers since she was 4 months. The first one was a small, private one, but I moved her to a very large national center at about a year. I loved it, but lately the teacher turnover has been insane. However, my little one has a lot of social anxiety and has really blossomed there. She's no longer scared of other kids or adults, is talking, is really learning new things- it's amazing. I just hate that she's had six different teachers in a year- some was because she aged up, other times it was turnover. I was talking to the director and assistant about the issue on Tuesday and they said they understood, it was hard, etc, etc- but my daughter was doing so well and the center was so good. The next day I get an email that the director is not longer with the school. I feel like I was lied to- almost betrayed. I'm so angry. I actually turned down a really awesome job a few weeks ago because I didn't want to change my daughter's daycare. Now I'm thinking about switching to a home daycare, but I'm scared. I toured a lot when I was pregnant, but didn't like them. I really like centers because I just feel like there is more oversight and structure. I like providing meals and don't want tv. I don't want a provider transporting my child (I'm a carseat nut) and I'm worried about finding alternate care if the provider gets sick or goes on vacation. An honestly (although, I know some of you are just venting) after reading some of these posts, it seems like you really dislike most of the parents you work with. My child doesn't really seem to be suffering from the teacher changes, and never cries at drop off and looks forward to "school." Thoughts? If I wanted to look at in home daycares, where would I even start? Could I find a provider that had what I was looking for?
crazydaycarelady 06:50 AM 08-15-2013
Honestly, if your daughter does not seem to be suffering any effects from the change over then I would probably leave her at the center. I think home daycares are much better for infants but your daughter is past that stage now anyway.

As for not liking the parents - you are correct - this is our place to vent. We don't have a water cooler so we come here. It is just like with any other job, whether they are customers, clients, patients, they all get annoying and everyone needs to joke and vent.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 08-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So not sure if this belongs here, if not, forgive me, but this seems like a good place to ask.

My daughters is 2. She's been attending centers since she was 4 months. The first one was a small, private one, but I moved her to a very large national center at about a year. I loved it, but lately the teacher turnover has been insane. However, my little one has a lot of social anxiety and has really blossomed there. She's no longer scared of other kids or adults, is talking, is really learning new things- it's amazing. I just hate that she's had six different teachers in a year- some was because she aged up, other times it was turnover. I was talking to the director and assistant about the issue on Tuesday and they said they understood, it was hard, etc, etc- but my daughter was doing so well and the center was so good. The next day I get an email that the director is not longer with the school. I feel like I was lied to- almost betrayed. I'm so angry. I actually turned down a really awesome job a few weeks ago because I didn't want to change my daughter's daycare. Now I'm thinking about switching to a home daycare, but I'm scared. I toured a lot when I was pregnant, but didn't like them. I really like centers because I just feel like there is more oversight and structure. I like providing meals and don't want tv. I don't want a provider transporting my child (I'm a carseat nut) and I'm worried about finding alternate care if the provider gets sick or goes on vacation. An honestly (although, I know some of you are just venting) after reading some of these posts, it seems like you really dislike most of the parents you work with. My child doesn't really seem to be suffering from the teacher changes, and never cries at drop off and looks forward to "school." Thoughts? If I wanted to look at in home daycares, where would I even start? Could I find a provider that had what I was looking for?
As a parent, I completely understand your concerns and frustrations.

My own children attended BOTH center and in-home family daycare. I can't say one is better or worse than another because each child is different and each family's needs are different.

However, I think what you need to do is decide what your MOST important needs/wants for your child's caregiver are.... do you want her to have a long standing close relationship with a home provider or do you want her to develop her social skills in a large group of children? Things like that....

One thing to realize is that there IS high turn over in some centers because honestly the hours in this job are long, the pay is low and the gratitude from co-workers and clients is few and far between so many caregivers will only do this job a short while.

I like centers for the age group separations and the scale in which a child can socialize. However, those aspects also have negative sides as well.

I hear you loud and clear about the complaints that child care providers vent about but please don't let the venting thread or complaint posts in this forum scare you off....sometimes THIS is the ONLY outlet many of us have as family and friends really can't fully understand what being a child care provider is really like unless they too have lived it...kwim?

For me personally, I don't transport kids because I don't want that liability so there are lots of providers who don't do that.
There are also lots of providers who allow parents to supply their own meals and there are lots of providers who have fantastic back up or plans for when she is ill or unable to provide care.

I LOVE my child care families and spend a good amount of time making sure I enroll ONLY families that are a good match to what I believe about child development. NOT saying my way is the only way but it sure makes this job easy and much more fun when everyone (myself and the parents) all have the same goals and ideas for the child in care.

The only advice I would give to you is to remember that no two centers or home providers are the same. DO some exploring, tour family child care in your area, decide what goals and outcomes you want specifically for your child.

It sounds like she is doing well at the center and since she isn't too affected by the staff turnover, perhaps it is more something that bothers you and not her..... something to keep in mind is later in school, she will have a new teacher years and then more often as she gets into the older grades so the concept will be something she WILL have to do eventually anyways.

Some kids do best in small setting with a mixed age group and one consistent caregiver while others simply thrive in large groups, lots of choices and groups of kids that are really close to their age.

There is also the choice of a smaller center... we have several providers on the forum who own and operate small centers where the facility runs like a center but the care is like family. Best of both worlds.

Again, please don't feel as though family child care providers don't like their families or have an issue with their clients as this board is definitely leaning towards the ugly side now and then, but that isn't the whole picture of what we do and who we are as providers.....this is just the water cooler....check out some of the threads where providers post their Facebook photos and you can see first hand how much providers love the kids in their care and the fun activities they do with them.

Plus, if we didn't invest so much of ourselves, time and money into this job and the services we provide, we probably wouldn't need to vent if it weren't so personal and close to our hearts......

Hope that helps...even just a little
Moppetland 07:13 AM 08-15-2013
Currently, I am a home child care provider, and I have worked in a small center. There will be turnovers in centers because some teachers move on to other careers due to them gaining more education for themselves. Others may leave because of the low pay. But like crazydaycarelady said, if it's not effecting your daughter at the age she is now and she is thriving, then just leave her. As long as the curriculum and structure hasn't changed, she should be fine.

As for home child care providers, and in my experiences, parents are concerned with what their child will be doing all day. They are concerned about back-up care in case of the provider's illness, personal days, emergency days, vacation days, etc. There are good quality home providers out here that are just as structured or better structured that some centers too. It's why parents should really begin early in researching centers and homes.

I found that most parents want their children in home care as infants, and by the time their child turn 3 years old, they want to put them in preschools or centers with preschool programs. There are a lot of home providers offering preschool programs now. So, for those parents who like their child to be with the same provider until school age, this will work out fine for them.

And as far as most providers on here venting about not liking parents, we don't necessarily dislike the parent, but we definitely dislike their disregard for our rules and policies. For some reason, we have these parents who don't respect the home provider and treat us as babysitters. They want to pay when they want to pay, and some try to not pay at all. They want to run our business and change our policies AFTER they signed a contract saying that they understand and will abide by these policies.

But working in a center before, we still had those same difficult parents as well who tries the same thing. The only difference is, if that parent decide to remove their child, it's not a major lost to the center. But we home providers are only allowed small groups, and this is our source of income. We put up with things just to keep the income, and this forum is just a stress relief and a place to get ideas on how to handle a situation. But there are times where it is necessary to terminate a child due to the parents.

So having said all this, whether you choose a home or center for your child care needs, just look for a place where you know your child is thriving. But it seems like your child is doing just fine where she is.
Unregistered 07:20 AM 08-15-2013
thanks all. Please don't take offense- I completely understand the need to vent. I worked in education and now work in a day hab program (adults with special needs)- I have said some crazy things about parents and families before, and sometimes about my clients themselves that of course I didn't mean or just needed to say out aloud because I would burst. I've probably said some pretty horrible things about my own child privately to my husband- so I get it!

Ugh, having kids is hard. I wish I didn't have to work and worry about child care, but then I don't think I'd make a very good stay at home mom. You guys have a ton of patience to have chosen this as a career!
daycarediva 09:38 AM 08-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
thanks all. Please don't take offense- I completely understand the need to vent. I worked in education and now work in a day hab program (adults with special needs)- I have said some crazy things about parents and families before, and sometimes about my clients themselves that of course I didn't mean or just needed to say out aloud because I would burst. I've probably said some pretty horrible things about my own child privately to my husband- so I get it!

Ugh, having kids is hard. I wish I didn't have to work and worry about child care, but then I don't think I'd make a very good stay at home mom. You guys have a ton of patience to have chosen this as a career!
I am a home daycare provider. I don't transport(also a car seat nut), I provide organic, very healthy meals, I provide a structured, classroom setting. I have a backup when I am sick (once this year) and take 10 scheduled days off in advance (my parents get a written calendar in January with days off for the year).

I say if you feel something is off, keep searching. Look up your states office of children and family services, visit EVERY home provider and EVERY center, get your daughter involved as well about looking at a new "school".

I honestly don't always love all of my daycare parents/clients (some I really DO though!) I have a degree in ECE, I LOVE my job and I LOVE and care for these kids as if they were my own. I have some of them for years and I cry my eyes out when they leave.
Josiegirl 10:19 AM 08-15-2013
If you do decide to check out family daycare homes more, don't be afraid to make a few visits before deciding. I know some of my families like to visit numerous times before committing. One visit may not be enough to really get a good 'feel' for the provider, the kids, etc. Might be an off day for them. Also, the best way to find someone you like is to ask a good friend, a trusted coworker, for recommendations. Word of mouth is THE best way to find someone you're comfortable with, IMO.
But honestly, if your dd seems to be happy there, why stir things up? Do you have any doubts about her care? If you do, you could always make an early unannounced pick-up time.
Good luck with your decision. Finding a good reliable place to leave your child 7-10 hours a day must be one of the hardest decisions for parents to make.
butterfly 11:17 AM 08-15-2013
"Where would I even start..."

Does your area have a local referral agency. We have a child care referral agency in town. Free to use. They have a list of most daycares in the area, including hours of operation, rates, special services - organic food, teaching styles, etc. I would call there first and get a list of daycares available.

You could also contact your state daycare licensing agency. They'd give you a list of all registered/licensed daycares in your area.

Ask your friends and coworkers who they use for daycare, if they are happy, who they'd recommend.

When you call daycares, if they don't have any openings, ask them if they can recommend anyone to you.

Ask your church secertary. I've gotten several referrals from my church secretary. It's amazing how much those people know about your community...

Good luck!
Unregistered 11:18 AM 08-15-2013
Besides the staff turnover, I am really happy with her care. I have picked up and dropped off at different times because of doctor's appointments or other reasons and have never noticed any problems. I've always felt comfortable taking any concerns I have and things that could be changed were, and when something couldn't be fixed or changed, I feld comfortable with the explanation. I ran into two parents over the last two months that pulled their children and wouldn't give me very good reasons why. One was very cryptic and just said she didn't like the teachers. The other said that she didn't like the constant routine and wanted more academics- but I love routine and couldn't care less about the academics. Her social skills are more important because she does seem a little delayed in that area. I guess I'm just worried that the teachers are leaving for some horrible reason that I don't know about, but they do tend to be the younger ones who either end up going to other centers or go to the school district. I worry that I'm doing my child a huge disservice by having her in a large center. I don't know. Maybe I just worry too much.
Unregistered 11:22 AM 08-15-2013
Most of my coworkers live in the city and commute to the suburbs via public transit where I work, and my church is about half an hour away. I did look at our state referral site and I found two providers near my home that look nice. (Plus close to $400 less than what I'm paying now! of course, it's not about the money now, but WOW!).

I may go at least look at them, but my husband is pretty opposed to her moving, and talking it out has made me feel a little better. Thanks!
Reply Up