Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking For Advice... Not Judgment. :)
has_my_heart 09:41 PM 03-30-2015
I have run my daycare for almost a year now and am starting to feel like I'm making things harder on myself then they need to be. Where to start... I only have one 2yr old daughter and I typically have 6-7 other kids here each day but I have a group of part timers so it varies from one day to the next who exactly is here (I have 3 full timers). I have two babies (4 months and 5 months), 4 toddlers on any given day (all are just barely two and not potty trained), and a for and five year old. I'm having a hard time keeping to my set schedule. It's always about the same but things happen almost daily to throw it off... Do I need to be flexible or fix my routine? What are your daily routines? The two babies sleep in the same room, and three other kids sleep downstairs where my playroom is but I have two upstairs I'm afraid if they are all on the same room I won't get my precious nap time, how do you do it? Do they sleep in the same room? Lastly, I'm driving myself into the ground trying to keep up with the cleaning, I use two bathrooms for daycare the whole basement (two rooms and a large playroom), and the kitchen and dining room for meals, not to mention the ecru way for drop off and pick up. How do you keep up with the cleaning and feel like it's not taking every last bit of energy you have? Oh one more thing I guess... Because I have part timers I feel like I have kids being dropped off and picked up constantly throughout the day, do you think that makes things a lot harder? I do enjoy ding this and love these kids, I work with great families and I feel like I'm good with the kids but it is the organizational details that are running me down. ADVICE PLEASE! Thanks.
Controlled Chaos 10:03 PM 03-30-2015
Schedule: other than meals, my schedule is flexible. If I had an art project planned but the kids are tired and grumpy we can snuggle and read books. Their needs come before my schedule. With that said, kid thrive on routine so we do stick to it for the most part.

Cleaning: wow you have a lot of space! Do you need to use it all? I have Clorox wipes I keep on hand and once a day while I have a potty training little one on the potty quickly wipe everything down. I do a deep clean as needed during nap. Sometimes I give the kids wash clothes or baby wipes to help me clean, if I really need to get some extra disinfecting done. Make the big stuff part of your routine. Before story time and nap, all big kids sit on the couch looking at books, babies in swings or bouncers and I run the vacuum real quick. It takes 5min tops.

Naps: All my kids 1 an older nap in the same room. Babies I separate if needed. Some do ok with the rest, but if I have a real screamer they nap apart.

Hang in there!
Unregistered 12:02 AM 03-31-2015
Two babies and all those toddlers are a big job! That alone would put me over the edge! When I took children under one yr. I only took one and then only one toddler (under two). The rest were all older. I now only take one and up.

I think with two babies at the same time your schedule has to be quite basic. A good flow to the day, with meals, outside time, nap at the same time each day, but planned preschool activities would be stressful for me with two babies and a number of 2's.

As far as cleaning goes......I also use Clorox wipes to wipe down kids' table before meals
And before and after each diaper change. ( required), I'm fairly tidy so the dedicated day care area is kept organized. We pick up around 9:30/10:00 each day and go outside. I clean the bathroom each day before kids arrive. I don't clean during nap, I RELAX!

Mouthed toys go into a bin to be sanitized. I sanitize toys about once a week with Clorox wipes. I pick one or two bins of toys to put through the dishwasher each week. At the end of the day or week I close the day care door and forget about it till the next day or till Monday. I do t know, the cleaning part never seems too bad.

I've always been a "spot" cleaner! The rest of my house too. I clean as I go. I hate a clean the house day. Ick! I like to have fun on my days off, not clean.
Thriftylady 06:42 AM 03-31-2015
I might reconsider the space used. You are using a ton of space, which adds to your cleaning. I may consider knocking it down some if they are really using it all. Now if they are just using part of it for sleep, then they are not really making it dirty so that is different.
nanglgrl 06:51 AM 03-31-2015
I would consider letting go of the 5 year old if possible. With no play mate and all of the younger children it would be hard for me to keep that child thoroughly entertained while tending to the younger children's needs.
butterfly 07:11 AM 03-31-2015
You sound exactly like me when I started doing daycare. I started out very structured. With a set schedule with every hour of the day scheduled. I found out that once I took on babies. My schedule was impossible to follow, or I was going to kill myself trying to stick to it. After the first year, I threw the schedule out the window. I still do all the things that I had "scheduled" but I just didn't do them at the times I had planned. Or more than one thing may be happening at the same time. (I do my preschool/structured learning while the babies are napping in the am)

I also used to have daycare take over my entire house. Along with having 2 kids of my own and doing foster care for several years and being licensed for 12 daycare kids, it was exhausting to make sure that all my own kids' toys were out of reach of the daycare kids (Legos, small parts, etc.) I decided that if I were to continue doing this. I needed dedicated space, or at least space that I could shut the door to and walk away from if I needed to. First we started with a dedicated toy room, then we were able to finish our basement to contain the daycare business. I don't think I'd still be doing this job if I hadn't dropped the schedule and created separate space.

I also used to have the kids all nap in a separate room. Nap time was so stressful for me, because I tried to find a separate spot for each child which meant that I had no where to go to accomplish anything during nap time. I was terrified of waking someone. Now: everyone sleeps in the same room. I have the littlest babies nap in a separate room in cribs, all others sleep on cots in the same room. I use a radio during naptime for noise so the kids get used to having noise and they don't wake so easily. And for those older kids that don't nap as long, they can sit and listen to the music.

As far as cleaning, I have the kids help clean up. They pick up all the toys. Minimum of once a week, I have them gather up certain groups of toys for me to run through the dishwasher or the washing machine. I keep out a very small amount of toys at one time so I have less to clean and they have more space to play. The kids also help wipe down walls, shelves, etc. I give them each a wet, soapy washcloth to wipe with. They think it's fun and it helps a little with the cleaning - or at least keeps them busy while I do the actual sanitizing.

I am a clean as I go type of person and I have trained the kids to clean up during our transition times. Things need to be picked up and put away before we start a new activity. They can be cleaning when I'm changing and feeding babies, etc.

Part timers: You could establish a cut off pickup/drop off time. For example: everyone must be present by 9:00am each day or be counted absent and not allowed to attend. No drop offs during naptime, etc. - whatever you need to make it work for you.

I do less and less part time care because I got annoyed with the never ending schedule changes. I wasn't as strict as I should have been with drop off/pick up times.
Unregistered 07:22 AM 03-31-2015
I think a flexible schedule is important. Keep it the same each day, but allow for changes as needed. I feel the same as you about part time kids, which is mostly what I have right now. If they can be picked up and dropped off at various times each day, it can get hectic and I found myself really annoyed with it, so I changed my rules to say that pick up/drop off is between 7:30-8 in the morning and 5:00-5:30 in the afternoon. They need to be here between those times or they cannot attend for the day. It has been a lot better and I feel like I have more control over my day and my home

The cleaning stuff is also my worst enemy, but if you can do a little at time and break it down, it helps to feel ess overwhelmed. The kitchen is the only room that gets cleaned daily in my house (dishes, wipe down, sweep). I mop it every other week as needed. I clean the other rooms once a week and just pick a day for each. Bathroom is cleaned on Friday at the end of day. Napping rooms are vaccuumed on wednesday. I vacuum the play areas every other day, as needed, but I have a no food or shoes policy for those rooms, so they stay pretty clean. I disinfect toys by wiping them down on Mondays (the kids help!), as well as dust. I give my kids those swiffer dusters and they love helping me dust!

It can get overwhelming, because it seems like you are constantly cleaning and picking up after kids, but just hang in there! You will find a system that works for you! Trial and error
Unregistered 07:54 AM 03-31-2015
Maybe divide the room to make it smaller for less mess? 1 bathroom?
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:57 AM 03-31-2015
I found out after about a year of daycare that having one dedicated playroom and bathroom was one of the best things I could have done:

1. Limited the inevitable abuse that happens to walls, woodwork, flooring, etc. when dealing with the 5-and-under crowd, and their clutter and mess was contained to just the one room, and one bathroom. I will use plastic table cloths or hard plastic sheets when eating or doing something like Play-doh.

2. I felt like I had better supervision/control, and the kids respected boundaries better.

3. Felt like I had the home part of my house back, which became essential when my DSs grew old enough to feel resentment towards the daily, day-long intrusion.

All the children play, eat, and sleep all in this one room. It works well for me. I've never separated the kids for napping, no matter how young, but I am very "no nonsense" about it, and they learn to respect that.

We have a schedule here, too. I call it "consistency with room for flexibility." I give a copy of it to parents, and let them know (nicely) that if they are doing their dropping off/picking up outside of the first and last hours of the day, they ARE interrupting something. And that's okay, but I will not have time to chat, they need to be super quick, and their child needs to be ready to jump in where we are at. I do not stop what we are doing, just wave to parent and get the kid involved in what we are doing.

Part-timers are harder to get and keep into a set routine, but not impossible. This is where we must call on the endless patience we all have!
daycare 08:31 AM 03-31-2015
wow thats a busy day.

If this were my situation, I would keep the older kids and let the babies go.

I would keep the 5 year old, build them into a great leader and they can help the younger children. There is nothing cooler to a younger child than an older child. Teach your 5 year that they are a teacher too and everything they do they teach the little kids. Both good and bad. I have done it this way for years and have an amazing group of kids.

I would maybe redo your schedule one more time taking out what does not work. BUT then do you best to stick to it for at least 30 days. you really need to do something for at least 30 days to make a good habit of it.

After 30 days if you still find some things not working, then take a look at what is not working and change it... Ask yourself. What is working.....then ask yourself what is NOT working.

It's so hard to self reflect in this business. Years ago i video taped myself with the kids and would watch it during nap time to see where things were going wrong. That helped me a TON..

hang in there, things will get better. Find what works and run with it and those things that don't work you can always do away with or change...
Unregistered 09:25 AM 03-31-2015
I have 3 toddlers and the rest are 3 with a couple school agers, reading your post I think I am using about the same amount of space, but try to minimize it by only using certain rooms different times a day, Ie. only kitchen during snack and lunch, sleeping space only when kids are sleeping. I was using 2 bathrooms for the first half of year but now only using basement bathroom near toy room, the other now gets locked and I told the kids it's broken so they don't even ask. I find using one bathroom helps me a lot, Having a lot of toddlers is tough because they like to get into everything! I controlled this by putting doors on my toy shelves so kids aren't constantly dumping everything out.
I also limit the amount of toys they even have access too. With so many kids that age mess is inevitable, spot cleaning along the way helps but some days I do feel like all I do is clean and pick up toys.
crazydaycarelady 09:36 AM 03-31-2015
We have a "schedule" but it is very flexible and I tell the parents this at the interview. With so many varying ages it is just not always possible to do story time at 10:30am or whatever. Sometimes we miss it all together!

Also can you get all of the kids to nap at the same time? This is when I sit down and eat myself and get most of the cleaning done and maybe some dinner prep. It is vital to my day that I get this time to get these things done or else I feel so overwhelmed.
CraftyMom 10:16 AM 03-31-2015
A routine should be flexible enough to allow some wiggle room when needed, but predictable enough that the kids know what to expect.

ANY routine is hard with babies and toddlers if they don't nap at the same time. Your also need to be able to have a predictable nap time (for your sake) even if it isn't ALL at the same time. You need to be able to know who will nap and when so you can plan your day. If one or two of the kids are too unpredictable with their napping I would let them go. It will make your day much easier.

I would definitely use one bathroom. Can you limit daycare to just the basement and kitchen for eating?
AshleyJean 11:41 AM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
wow thats a busy day.

If this were my situation, I would keep the older kids and let the babies go.

I would keep the 5 year old, build them into a great leader and they can help the younger children. There is nothing cooler to a younger child than an older child. Teach your 5 year that they are a teacher too and everything they do they teach the little kids. Both good and bad. I have done it this way for years and have an amazing group of kids.

I would maybe redo your schedule one more time taking out what does not work. BUT then do you best to stick to it for at least 30 days. you really need to do something for at least 30 days to make a good habit of it.

After 30 days if you still find some things not working, then take a look at what is not working and change it... Ask yourself. What is working.....then ask yourself what is NOT working.

It's so hard to self reflect in this business. Years ago i video taped myself with the kids and would watch it during nap time to see where things were going wrong. That helped me a TON..

hang in there, things will get better. Find what works and run with it and those things that don't work you can always do away with or change...

How would one just let the infants go?
Annalee 11:46 AM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by AshleyJean:
A wonderful positive thing in FCC is that YOU can set up your business like you want. Sometimes that means terminating/letting certain children go. This business can be set up to benefit the provider and their own family needs. It took me 10 long years to figure this out...You are
blessed to learn this info so soon into your career. Setting up your business with the hours/children however you want can happen. Get your mindset right and figure out the issues you feel strongest about and make them happen in your child care program. Their may be hardships but it can be done. NOt that I do not face any issues now ever, but when I do, there is multiple support systems that I can go to for guidance/assistance. Best of luck to you!
daycare 11:54 AM 03-31-2015
change you program.

Dear DCP.

As of May 1, our program will no longer offer for children under 18 months of age. This was a difficult decision to have to make, however, felt that it was in the best interest of our preschool program. To help you in your search for new care I have attached the number for our counties resource and referral program.

We really wish you the best of luck

Your DCP
Annalee 11:55 AM 03-31-2015
For what it is worth, when I began to stiffen my contract, I was strong to the clients faces but when they would leave, I would feel like I was going to pass out I took some harsh words, and I would always replay calmly "I understand your point of view and respect it, but this is how xxxx child care will run...feel free to give 2 weeks notice and look elsewhere"....over and over and over....Now I take pride in being known as the daycare with the lady who is ADAMANT about her contract Hang in there, YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN!
has_my_heart 03:56 PM 03-31-2015
Thanks! I am loving and needing the above you are all sharing!! I didn't even mention meal prep. How do you do yours?
Thriftylady 04:01 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by has_my_heart:
Thanks! I am loving and needing the above you are all sharing!! I didn't even mention meal prep. How do you do yours?
Have you tried planned overs? LOVE them! Just make to much dinner the night before and you have lunch! Or make lunch in the crockpot and keep it warm for dinner. I do this a ton, hubby being a truck driver it makes it easier for him to just take meals to heat up in the microwave. When I was on the truck a lot, I cooked each night but it is hard for him to drive all day then cook. So say he is home on Sunday and leaves on Monday, I cook several dinner meals on Sunday and then he has dinner on the road and I have pre cooked for DD and I and/or daycare here. It makes a huge day of cooking, but saves me a ton of work later.
Reply Up