Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth vs Green Disposable Diapers
Silly Songs 06:23 PM 09-18-2016
Has anyone done research on the difference between cloth and other environmentally friendly diapers ? There are some disposable ones that are better for the environment than your basic Pampers. Any personal opinions ? Thanks.
Madeline 07:27 PM 09-18-2016
I did a lot of research when I was pregnant. I'm very lucky that our provider has experience with cloth & is willing to use them with our daughter. They were definitely the better option for us. We already owned a HE washer & have a lot of outdoor drying space. When we have to use disposables we use Bambo or Poof brand as our local composting facility will take either once we flush any solid waste (which you're technically supposed to do for all diapers). Did you have any specific questions?
LysesKids 07:37 PM 09-18-2016
Originally Posted by Madeline:
I did a lot of research when I was pregnant. I'm very lucky that our provider has experience with cloth & is willing to use them with our daughter. They were definitely the better option for us. We already owned a HE washer & have a lot of outdoor drying space. When we have to use disposables we use Bambo or Poof brand as our local composting facility will take either once we flush any solid waste (which you're technically supposed to do for all diapers). Did you have any specific questions?
I love the Bambo diapers when I can find them to buy lol... 2 of my parents use cloth, one uses honest disposies, one uses whatever lol
Pestle 08:41 PM 09-18-2016
We used gDiapers while my daughter was in care and loved them. We were in an apartment with no laundry machines so we used the disposable inserts. We had fewer leaks than in disposable diapers.

The only downside is that, if the care provider bags up poopy liners without rinsing them off, the liners end up permanently stinky.
MarinaVanessa 11:32 PM 09-18-2016
I researched the two before deciding to go with cloth. For me it wasn't all about the environment but also about frugality. We save so much money using cloth diapers and since we're a frugal family it was just a better choice for us.
LysesKids 04:08 AM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
We used gDiapers while my daughter was in care and loved them. We were in an apartment with no laundry machines so we used the disposable inserts. We had fewer leaks than in disposable diapers.

The only downside is that, if the care provider bags up poopy liners without rinsing them off, the liners end up permanently stinky.
You got to remember in many states that providers are not allowed to rinse poopy cloth diapers that's why I request disposable liners in the 2 kids that use cloth; wrap it in a wipe, toss the crap & bag the diapers... the liners won't catch all the #2 100% but they do help lol
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
You got to remember in many states that providers are not allowed to rinse poopy cloth diapers that's why I request disposable liners in the 2 kids that use cloth; wrap it in a wipe, toss the crap & bag the diapers... the liners won't catch all the #2 100% but they do help lol
I am not allowed to rinse anything. I am required to bag (as is) and send home (if cloth) or toss in garbage (if disposable)

As a provider, I actually prefer cloth.
I wish all my parents would use cloth.

I am thinking of either providing cloth myself OR giving a discount for parents that use cloth sometime in the near future/when rates are up for renewal.
Pestle 07:07 AM 09-19-2016
While we're on the subject of green diapering, what kind of gloves do you use?
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 09-19-2016
Showa-Best GreeN-Dex Bio-Degradable Nitrile Disposable Glove

https://www.newpig.com/showa-best-gr...oves/p/GLV1200

https://www.magidglove.com/Showa-Bes...le-6105PF.aspx
jenboo 08:20 AM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am not allowed to rinse anything. I am required to bag (as is) and send home (if cloth) or toss in garbage (if disposable)

I am thinking of either providing cloth myself OR giving a discount for parents that use cloth sometime in the near future/when rates are up for renewal.
I thought about providing cloth because it's a thousand times better. I was worried about how licensing would think about it. If we can't rinse patent provided poop diapers now, could we wash them if we provided them?
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I thought about providing cloth because it's a thousand times better. I was worried about how licensing would think about it. If we can't rinse patent provided poop diapers now, could we wash them if we provided them?
If I supplied cloth, licensing would require me to have an area in which I could rinse and wash diapers.

Right now, I do not have a laundry tub or sink but would have to get one for that purpose.

If I had a laundry tub/sink now, I could technically rinse diapers for parents but honestly, until it ALL becomes my responsibility that ain't happening.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 09-19-2016
If I supplied cloth, licensing would require me to have an area in which I could rinse and wash diapers.

Right now, I do not have a laundry tub or sink but would have to get one for that purpose.

If I had a laundry tub/sink now, I could technically rinse diapers for parents but honestly, until it ALL becomes my responsibility that ain't happening.
I should have clarified that the licensing rule in my state says I can not rinse diapers in a sink used for food prep or handwashing so it would have to be a laundry tub/sink or sink JUST for diaper rinsing.
Pestle 08:55 AM 09-19-2016
We had a care provider who did rinse them; then we had a toddler class at private school, and lots of the kids were in cloth diapers, but the college students they got for after-school care were awful about changing. She'd come back with poop streaks, bag of used disposable inserts still in the liners, and once with the disposable insert UNDER the liner. If you can imagine: The fabric diaper cover, then the disposable insert, then the plastic liner, then her butt. That was a messy afternoon.
Mike 10:03 AM 09-19-2016

Originally Posted by jenboo:
Being male, I will have a bit harder time to get clients, so I'm thinking about offering some little extras, one of which is cloth diapers, washing included. I may even offer the service of cleaning their diapers as well, so every other day, they drop off their kid and a diaper bag, and pick up their kid and a diaper bag. I looked up diaper cleaning services a couple years ago and figured I could do it for 1/2 the price if I was also caring for the child, so that would work out good for myself and the parents. I even thought about diaper services as a business option, but I'd rather be taking care of the rug rats.
happymom 11:10 AM 09-19-2016
I've looked at a diaper service as a business option as well.

I prefer cloth to any type of disposables (green or not). The monetary savings is such a big plus, and overall I feel cloth does a better job and is more sanitary.
jenboo 11:32 AM 09-19-2016

I'll have to see what my licensing says. I do my my rinsing with a diaper sprayer into the toilet
happymom 02:00 PM 09-19-2016
For cloth parents, I recently saw an AMAZING solution for day to day and for daycare that helps parents/caregivers:

Buy a fleece blanket from Ikea ($4) and cut into rectangle (liners) about 4x6". For pee, liners go in the wash, for poo, liners get thrown out the way a disposable diaper would. The lady who told me about it said that one blanket lasts about a year!

It eliminates spraying and makes diaper laundry a breeze. I love this idea, just need to remember to load each diaper with a liner!
Madeline 02:40 PM 09-19-2016
I had forgotten since I don't use liners at home--I provide disposable liners for my provider. They look and are boxed like dryer sheets. So urine passes through and solids stay on top. She can then grab that liner and toss it without having to worry about rinsing anything. Since they're in a pop up box she can get them out with one hand--my daughters a wiggler! We use dandelion brand liners. I originally bought them because every other brand came in a paper towel style roll but I keep buying them because she tells me how soft and strong they are.

I just bring in 5-6 diapers every day and wet bag and take home the full wet bag at the end of the day. My daughter also has a few back up disposables at daycare just in case she goes through all of her cloth diapers. I prefer washing the cloth ones myself but I bought them all and want to use a specific detergent with them.

I buy my Bambos from Amazon. Who am I kidding-I buy almost everything from Amazon because I live in the middle of no where!

As for rinsing I have essentially a kitchen sink sprayer attached to our toilet. I don't allow anything about licensing but would that count as a separate rinse area? That thing is a life saver, rinses the solid right in to the toilet!
happymom 03:27 PM 09-19-2016
I had forgotten since I don't use liners at home--I provide disposable liners for my provider. They look and are boxed like dryer sheets. So urine passes through and solids stay on top. She can then grab that liner and toss it without having to worry about rinsing anything. Since they're in a pop up box she can get them out with one hand--my daughters a wiggler! We use dandelion brand liners. I originally bought them because every other brand came in a paper towel style roll but I keep buying them because she tells me how soft and strong they are.

I just bring in 5-6 diapers every day and wet bag and take home the full wet bag at the end of the day. My daughter also has a few back up disposables at daycare just in case she goes through all of her cloth diapers. I prefer washing the cloth ones myself but I bought them all and want to use a specific detergent with them.

I buy my Bambos from Amazon. Who am I kidding-I buy almost everything from Amazon because I live in the middle of no where!

As for rinsing I have essentially a kitchen sink sprayer attached to our toilet. I don't allow anything about licensing but would that count as a separate rinse area? That thing is a life saver, rinses the solid right in to the toilet!
I do the same as you, except no liners. I get to take the whole poop home with me, then I spray it or plop it in the toilet when I get home. It titch more work for me, but worth it! I've definitely considered liners though, I'm going to look up the dandelion brand!
Madeline 07:01 PM 09-19-2016

Oops, that should say I don't KNOW anything about licensing!
Reply Up