Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hate My Job
gumdrops 07:15 AM 09-12-2018
I hate my job today. Every one of my kids are irritating me.

DCG3, DCG3, DCG4 fight ALL.DAY.EVERY.DAY. Most of them are only here 3-4 days/week.

DCG2 starts shoving DCB1. For no reason at all, except that she is bigger than him. Like literally has him pinned against the couch with her arm pressed against his chest.

All 4 DCGs mentioned above are extremely stubborn!!!

DCB1 mentioned above cries about everything. If he doesn't get the toy he wants, if someone accidentally bumps him, if I mention the word "no".

DCG5months has a blowout at least 2x's /week and she's only here 4 days. When I'm trying to change her, she tries to sit up. Although she's not old enough to sit up from laying down, she uses all her stomach muscles to pull her head up while grabbing at whatever she can get ahold of including the blowout diaper or messy clothes. She is a sweetheart and always happy, but I hate changing her diapers!

If I could find a job that paid as good as this with a flexible schedule, I'd be out in a heartbeat! I would love to run a center and deal with all the "office work" behind the scenes.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 09-12-2018
Hang in there.....

Some days I hate my job too.

I have a DCK (age 2) who's mom is so overly concerned about academics that I swear if she even mentions the topic again, I am going to terminate services. Or maybe implement a fee for mentioning the topic.

I have a DCK (age 3) that poos like a newborn every.single.day. but in massive quantities. Of course mom works in the healthcare field and spends more time trying to convince me that it's "normal" at that age verses getting to the root of the issue.

....and the worst? A DCK that spends 99% of the day saying "Go away" or "get out of my face" in THE whiniest voice ever all day looooooooong. Funny thing is, there isn't another kid near them. They just like saying apparently.

So basically, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

YES! to the running a center and doing only the office work!
tenderhearts 09:07 AM 09-12-2018
Sorry, I had that same day yesterday!
Ariana 09:12 AM 09-12-2018
We have all been there!

Today my own daughter is driving me bonkers Might be time to send her to kinder full time with peers her own age.

I personally find if it isn’t the fighting it is the boredom. Boredom is killing me with this job.
Gemma 09:39 AM 09-12-2018
Some days are harder than others for all of us
Can you temporarily separate the 3yr olds when they don't get along?
amberrose3dg 09:39 AM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
I hate my job today. Every one of my kids are irritating me.

DCG3, DCG3, DCG4 fight ALL.DAY.EVERY.DAY. Most of them are only here 3-4 days/week.

DCG2 starts shoving DCB1. For no reason at all, except that she is bigger than him. Like literally has him pinned against the couch with her arm pressed against his chest.

All 4 DCGs mentioned above are extremely stubborn!!!

DCB1 mentioned above cries about everything. If he doesn't get the toy he wants, if someone accidentally bumps him, if I mention the word "no".

DCG5months has a blowout at least 2x's /week and she's only here 4 days. When I'm trying to change her, she tries to sit up. Although she's not old enough to sit up from laying down, she uses all her stomach muscles to pull her head up while grabbing at whatever she can get ahold of including the blowout diaper or messy clothes. She is a sweetheart and always happy, but I hate changing her diapers!

If I could find a job that paid as good as this with a flexible schedule, I'd be out in a heartbeat! I would love to run a center and deal with all the "office work" behind the scenes.
This is me but its been going on for weeks.
I closed today because someone brought fleas into my home. 690 later and I have parents that are asking for a credit.
I do not like my job most days anymore. I still put a smile on my face and do my job. The good news I will hopefully be able to be out of it soon. I considered a center but it would probably kill me with the level of stress it would cause.
Hang in there I am sure there are a lot of us that feel this way. If it doesn't pass maybe look into other jobs. I know I am.
Unregistered 11:43 AM 09-12-2018
I pretty much just go through the motions of this job anymore. I do put a smile on my face everyday but it is forced. Parents irritate me with their stupidity. Dcg 2 poops 2-3 times a?day and has chronic diaper rash. Dcg 2 sneezes 15-20 times a day open mouthed all over everything. Baby girl 9 months still spits up on my floors 5-10 times a day, she fights every diaper change as well. These are daily things that make me want to quit. Wish I could.
Jo123ABC 12:19 PM 09-12-2018
It would help if most parents appreciated all that we do! There have been a few occasions a parent has shown obvious appreciation toward the hard work I do and my spirit gets lifted however temporarily! It's so rare in our profession though! hang in there!

P.s. I had to skip our book time and shampoo a section of my couch right before nap today because a nearly 3 year old with a cold pushed his face at the top of the cushion and slowly slid it all the way down the cushion leaving a trail of snot behind : yuck! Instead of TGIF. I'm going with TGINT! (thank God it's nap time)

Also, has anyone ever seriously thrown their hands up on a day like this and sent em' all home? Haha
megoddess444 02:48 PM 09-12-2018
You are all my spirit animals. Some days are definitely not worth it. But others, remind me its ok. This day, too shall pass. Hang in there!
Unregistered 03:43 PM 09-12-2018
It’s nice that you are actually being honest. I think that a lot of daycare providers lie and say they love their job. If you are doing this for extra cash and it’s for a short period and you know it will end then it’s acceptable. If you are a person who actually relies on the income to pay bills then it’s the worst job ever. It’s bending over backwards to please annoying Parents and keep kids. It’s being tired and sick but not able to take a day off because stupid parents complain. Im sick of being fake and putting on a happy face. I’m so glad my husband is doing well now so that I can quit soon. I can’t wait for that day. I’ll never look back.
Unregistered 04:38 PM 09-12-2018
Glad you said something about being fake. I love my dc kids but don't care for all my parents. I am nice to them and have to force myself to "kill em with kindness". I feel guilty for feeling that way! Glad I'm not the only one.
Blackcat31 05:59 PM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Glad you said something about being fake. I love my dc kids but don't care for all my parents. I am nice to them and have to force myself to "kill em with kindness". I feel guilty for feeling that way! Glad I'm not the only one.
This is an odd profession.
People automatically assume you must love kids and all thing kids if you are a provider.

I started my business to address a personal need but I stayed in the business because I found Im I’m good at it/it comes naturally and it nets me a really good income.

Neither of which has anything to do with loving/not loving kids.
Jdy2222 08:18 PM 09-12-2018
So ... how do you get past this?

I'm there too right now, between six littles, most of whom are a handful, and home schooling a 9 yr old and two high schoolers I'm drained. Financially I want to keep doing this (and I do have to be home for the home schoolers), and I do adore some of the kids, but I also want to run away. Far, far away.
doulajo 07:09 AM 09-13-2018
I have felt similarly, myself, but I am not an in-home provider...I am the business manager at a center. I can tell you: its not all butterflies and roses working in a center either. Not only do you have the kid issues (I was hit in the face, punched in the stomach and told to "Go AWAY!" when trying to remove a 4yr old from a situation where she was throwing rocks at her teacher) but you also have the staff who are acting like children with their gossiping, backbiting, and flat out lying about each other and you have the parents who don't think anything we're doing is right.

Ugh.

But then there are the days that a child has a breakthrough and hugs you so tight around the neck and you see them making progress and it almost all seems worth it.
Ariana 08:47 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by doulajo:
I have felt similarly, myself, but I am not an in-home provider...I am the business manager at a center. I can tell you: its not all butterflies and roses working in a center either. Not only do you have the kid issues (I was hit in the face, punched in the stomach and told to "Go AWAY!" when trying to remove a 4yr old from a situation where she was throwing rocks at her teacher) but you also have the staff who are acting like children with their gossiping, backbiting, and flat out lying about each other and you have the parents who don't think anything we're doing is right.

Ugh.

But then there are the days that a child has a breakthrough and hugs you so tight around the neck and you see them making progress and it almost all seems worth it.
My husband keeps telling me I would be happier in a Centre, get out of the house and have coworkers. I laugh every time!!! Been there, done that, not going back. I have also heard working with millenials will put you in an early grave
amberrose3dg 09:15 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My husband keeps telling me I would be happier in a Centre, get out of the house and have coworkers. I laugh every time!!! Been there, done that, not going back. I have also heard working with millenials will put you in an early grave
I ruled out a center for that very reason. I have a hard time employing one assistant! I couldn't imagine trying to staff a center. I would die of an early heart attack or stroke.
I decided that I am just going to interview on the regular basis be more picky about anymore families and replace the ones that I have issues with constantly until I decide to close for good. I think that is what is keeping my sanity.
Just remember some days are hard but you can also cut out any real headaches.
ZB4 09:40 AM 09-13-2018
It’s nice that you are actually being honest. I think that a lot of daycare providers lie and say they love their job. If you are doing this for extra cash and it’s for a short period and you know it will end then it’s acceptable. If you are a person who actually relies on the income to pay bills then it’s the worst job ever. It’s bending over backwards to please annoying Parents and keep kids. It’s being tired and sick but not able to take a day off because stupid parents complain. Im sick of being fake and putting on a happy face. I’m so glad my husband is doing well now so that I can quit soon. I can’t wait for that day. I’ll never look back.
This is so true. ^^ 30 years of trying to please everyone. Always worried that licensing will find something not exactly right. Subjecting my own kids to behaviors that I would never accept from them. Missing out on school field trips and volunteer opportunities because you are committed to being there for parents who don't appreciate you, and who think nothing of leaving you high and dry if it suits them. I'm jealous that you get to stop soon lol!
daycarediva 11:25 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is an odd profession.
People automatically assume you must love kids and all thing kids if you are a provider.

I started my business to address a personal need but I stayed in the business because I found Im I’m good at it/it comes naturally and it nets me a really good income.

Neither of which has anything to do with loving/not loving kids.
Kids are just tiny people. Some people I like, some I don't. I do this for money. The same reason the vast majority of people go to work.

Originally Posted by doulajo:

Ugh.

I will NEVER go back to a center. I don't even like taking kids from centers.

The parents drive me bonkers. I just plaster a fake smile and go on about my business.

99% of the kids I really enjoy, only it's easy for me to see the parent created issues.
Unregistered 01:17 PM 09-16-2018
Originally Posted by ZB4:
This is so true. ^^ 30 years of trying to please everyone. Always worried that licensing will find something not exactly right. Subjecting my own kids to behaviors that I would never accept from them. Missing out on school field trips and volunteer opportunities because you are committed to being there for parents who don't appreciate you, and who think nothing of leaving you high and dry if it suits them. I'm jealous that you get to stop soon lol!
I feel your pain. I pray for you that something changes and you are able to quit. Please think about looking for something else. Start doing your resume. Maybe apply to be a teachers assistant in the schools. Good luck❤️
Unregistered 01:24 PM 09-16-2018
I wonder if most daycare providers are married or are they single moms trying to make ends meet? I can’t understand how a man can sit back and watch his wife suffer in this job year after year. I only did it for 3 years until my husband was able to make a good enough salary so that I could quit. He worked his behind off to make that happen as it was hard for him to see me stressed all the time. It wears down the family and our own kids suffer. I can’t imagine doing this job for more that 2-4 years without starting to hate life. Any man with any decency and pride would not let their wife continue. My friend has gone beyond the 5 year mark and she can’t quit because of her husband. She is pretty much the bread winner but in the process she has suffered. She has no life. They live paycheck to paycheck and she’s constantly worried about losing kids so she bends over backwards to please the parents who walk all over her. Time for a new man. 🤣
Blackcat31 03:53 PM 09-16-2018
I wonder if most daycare providers are married or are they single moms trying to make ends meet? I can’t understand how a man can sit back and watch his wife suffer in this job year after year. I only did it for 3 years until my husband was able to make a good enough salary so that I could quit. He worked his behind off to make that happen as it was hard for him to see me stressed all the time. It wears down the family and our own kids suffer. I can’t imagine doing this job for more that 2-4 years without starting to hate life. Any man with any decency and pride would not let their wife continue. My friend has gone beyond the 5 year mark and she can’t quit because of her husband. She is pretty much the bread winner but in the process she has suffered. She has no life. They live paycheck to paycheck and she’s constantly worried about losing kids so she bends over backwards to please the parents who walk all over her. Time for a new man. ��
Really

I am a wife but I’m still my own person

Sounds like your friend needs to recognize that she too is her own person but if she views her DH as the only decision maker in the family her issue isn’t her profession (daycare) at all.
Josiegirl 02:00 AM 09-17-2018
Really

I am a wife but I’m still my own person

Sounds like your friend needs to recognize that she too is her own person but if she views her DH as the only decision maker in the family her issue isn’t her profession (daycare) at all.
Yes. And no. I started doing this job when our oldest was 18 mo, we needed the money and we had both decided 1 of us needed to be home with our own children. Since he had the job with benefits and better pay, I gladly stayed home and dc kinda fell into my lap. I remember being so stressed out, I couldn't function and would cry every night. I just wanted to quit and be a ft mom. He said sure, he'd just take on another job and never get to see our ds. So I stuck with it, felt trapped, did search out other work at home ideas but they were nothing that paid any bills. Idealistically, sure we all have choices but in reality it doesn't always work that way.
There were lots of reasons our marriage crumbled but some of it did revolve(whether directly or indirectly) around having a dc in our home. He'd come home from work(worked 37.5 hours a week) and plop down in front of the tube asking what's for dinner while I finished up my work(50 hours a week), then started on the night time routine. Childcare was all my job, other people's kids and ours too. It led to bitterness and resentment. And he had the nerve to call me the ice queen.

Yeh. I had choices. But I stuck with it because I wanted to be home with our own children. So I started this job married. I'm still 'married' but we've lived apart for over 10 years and it's been the best part of childcare.

Course there are still some days when I tear my hair out, deflate like a balloon when the dcks go home, want to shake sense into certain parents. I've dealt with some of the stress by backing out of the Stars program, cut down on other dc activities such as network meetings. Getting too old for this.
amberrose3dg 03:08 AM 09-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yes. And no. I started doing this job when our oldest was 18 mo, we needed the money and we had both decided 1 of us needed to be home with our own children. Since he had the job with benefits and better pay, I gladly stayed home and dc kinda fell into my lap. I remember being so stressed out, I couldn't function and would cry every night. I just wanted to quit and be a ft mom. He said sure, he'd just take on another job and never get to see our ds. So I stuck with it, felt trapped, did search out other work at home ideas but they were nothing that paid any bills. Idealistically, sure we all have choices but in reality it doesn't always work that way.
There were lots of reasons our marriage crumbled but some of it did revolve(whether directly or indirectly) around having a dc in our home. He'd come home from work(worked 37.5 hours a week) and plop down in front of the tube asking what's for dinner while I finished up my work(50 hours a week), then started on the night time routine. Childcare was all my job, other people's kids and ours too. It led to bitterness and resentment. And he had the nerve to call me the ice queen.

Yeh. I had choices. But I stuck with it because I wanted to be home with our own children. So I started this job married. I'm still 'married' but we've lived apart for over 10 years and it's been the best part of childcare.

Course there are still some days when I tear my hair out, deflate like a balloon when the dcks go home, want to shake sense into certain parents. I've dealt with some of the stress by backing out of the Stars program, cut down on other dc activities such as network meetings. Getting too old for this.
I'm getting too old for this and I'm 36! I am tired of parents that are gonna tell me when and how much they will pay me. I am just tired. Someone brought fleas into my home. I have like zero connection with any of my new kids.
Annalee 04:10 AM 09-17-2018
I reached the point of "hating my job" about 19 years ago; this is my 26th year. My dad was alive at that time and he was a business minded person so we sat down and set up a plan. At the time, I loved the kids in my care but working 6-5:30 with little time off and no pay for the time off caused me issues. So over the next three years, we slowly took out the clients vacations, added in my vacations, began charging 52 weeks a year, then took the school holidays/time off excluding summer, changed our work hours to 6-4:30 with a 9.5 hour limit per client not to exceed 4:30, etc. This has not diminished the "bad feelings" completely but it does help. I am off now one/two days a month along with extra days around holidays and my vacation weeks. Finding a qualified sub can be difficult and I am one of those people that has never left a sub here without me (I work with my mom and have used my nieces as helpers but never left them alone). Now I can plan my doctors, dentists, or just plan time according to my days off. Sure, there are clients that do not enroll here, but I only want those that will comply with my contract anyway. I will always be grateful to my dad whom is passed away now but he taught me the "non-negotiable" rule and how to be confident with that rule. If I was going to implement such rules, then I had to be willing to enforce them. Maybe a contact overhaul will help you all. I do have "those" clients with "those" kids now and it makes me nuts, but looking forward to the days off does help a little.
Annalee 04:32 AM 09-17-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I reached the point of "hating my job" about 19 years ago; this is my 26th year. My dad was alive at that time and he was a business minded person so we sat down and set up a plan. At the time, I loved the kids in my care but working 6-5:30 with little time off and no pay for the time off caused me issues. So over the next three years, we slowly took out the clients vacations, added in my vacations, began charging 52 weeks a year, then took the school holidays/time off excluding summer, changed our work hours to 6-4:30 with a 9.5 hour limit per client not to exceed 4:30, etc. This has not diminished the "bad feelings" completely but it does help. I am off now one/two days a month along with extra days around holidays and my vacation weeks. Finding a qualified sub can be difficult and I am one of those people that has never left a sub here without me (I work with my mom and have used my nieces as helpers but never left them alone). Now I can plan my doctors, dentists, or just plan time according to my days off. Sure, there are clients that do not enroll here, but I only want those that will comply with my contract anyway. I will always be grateful to my dad whom is passed away now but he taught me the "non-negotiable" rule and how to be confident with that rule. If I was going to implement such rules, then I had to be willing to enforce them. Maybe a contact overhaul will help you all. I do have "those" clients with "those" kids now and it makes me nuts, but looking forward to the days off does help a little.
One more thing that has helped is being "selective" and having the courage to "terminate" if necessary. When I was preparing for NAFCC accreditation, my mentor was helping me and I told her about a child I had that wasn't happy here making us all unhappy...she told me I could terminate her, which stunned me because I didn't even know I could do that. Then she taught me the 3-step interview process which does help alleviate some of "those kids and parents". Just sharing!
Unregistered 05:47 AM 09-17-2018
What’s the 3 step interview process?
Annalee 06:18 AM 09-17-2018
What’s the 3 step interview process?
I meet with the parents going through everything, last close to two hours. The parents go home to think about it. I decide whether or not to call them for second interview with the child. They can contact me to tell me they are interested but I give them a few days to be sure because I don't like speedy enrollees. If that one goes well, I decide whether or not we will meet once again to complete paperwork.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 09-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

first, I am NOT discrediting how you felt or how things played out in your marriage.
Lord knows marriage isn't easy as it is and adding daycare to it WITH young children of your own IS a difficult road to navigate.

But the bolded statement above is simply something I've refused to believe my entire life.... which might be why I am "different" than many here.

I refuse to believe that I don't have a choice in anything.

I have a choice in everything I do every day. Whether it be job related, parent related or marriage related. I have a choice in everything I do. Are those choices easy? No, sometimes they aren't. Sometimes they might uproot and change an entire life but I have never ever felt I didn't have a right to choose to make things better if I wasn't completely happy with my current situation.

I think human nature makes it easier for us (in general) to make and accept excuses as to why we can't or can do X or Y but making a hard choice doesn't always come so easily which is why people resign themselves to believing they had no choice at all.

One more thing that has helped is being "selective" and having the courage to "terminate" if necessary. When I was preparing for NAFCC accreditation, my mentor was helping me and I told her about a child I had that wasn't happy here making us all unhappy...she told me I could terminate her, which stunned me because I didn't even know I could do that. Then she taught me the 3-step interview process which does help alleviate some of "those kids and parents". Just sharing!
This ^^^ is a perfect example of how one chooses to make this job easier/better.

I too am strict with the "type" of client I enroll.
I decide each day/week/month/year to run my child care in a way that makes me like my job. If that pendulum starts to swing in the "don't like my job" direction I step back and take a look at what is making me unhappy....and then I do something to change that.

It's what has kept me happily in this business for over 25 years now.
I wear the same smile on my face each morning as I did the very first year.
Gemma 10:00 AM 09-17-2018
first, I am NOT discrediting how you felt or how things played out in your marriage.
Lord knows marriage isn't easy as it is and adding daycare to it WITH young children of your own IS a difficult road to navigate.

But the bolded statement above is simply something I've refused to believe my entire life.... which might be why I am "different" than many here.

I refuse to believe that I don't have a choice in anything.

I have a choice in everything I do every day. Whether it be job related, parent related or marriage related. I have a choice in everything I do. Are those choices easy? No, sometimes they aren't. Sometimes they might uproot and change an entire life but I have never ever felt I didn't have a right to choose to make things better if I wasn't completely happy with my current situation.

I think human nature makes it easier for us (in general) to make and accept excuses as to why we can't or can do X or Y but making a hard choice doesn't always come so easily which is why people resign themselves to believing they had no choice at all.

This ^^^ is a perfect example of how one chooses to make this job easier/better.

I too am strict with the "type" of client I enroll.
I decide each day/week/month/year to run my child care in a way that makes me like my job. If that pendulum starts to swing in the "don't like my job" direction I step back and take a look at what is making me unhappy....and then I do something to change that.

It's what has kept me happily in this business for over 25 years now.
I wear the same smile on my face each morning as I did the very first year.
This is exactly what I started doing years ago when I found myself feeling overwhelmed ...it truly works!
Snowmom 10:11 AM 09-17-2018
^ Me too.

It takes practice and can be hard to get into the mentality that it OK to let people go for the sole reason that YOU need them to go to better your environment.

When I initially changed to contracted hours instead of open-close or limiting their total hours a day, it changed my outlook immensely. I only interview people who need 7:30-4:30 because that's what I want. I don't care that I turn people away. I don't care that it may not work for the majority of the work force. It's what I need to stay fresh.

If you can recognize what will make you happy doing this job, it changes everything.

Well, except for dealing with licensing. That just sucks no matter what.
Annalee 10:23 AM 09-17-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
^ Me too.

It takes practice and can be hard to get into the mentality that it OK to let people go for the sole reason that YOU need them to go to better your environment.

When I initially changed to contracted hours instead of open-close or limiting their total hours a day, it changed my outlook immensely. I only interview people who need 7:30-4:30 because that's what I want. I don't care that I turn people away. I don't care that it may not work for the majority of the work force. It's what I need to stay fresh.

If you can recognize what will make you happy doing this job, it changes everything.

Well, except for dealing with licensing. That just sucks no matter what.
Exactly to the bolded! I stand by if a client wants your services they will do what it takes to make it work! Whether it be to find a different drop-off/pick-up person or whatever, clients will make it work and those are the clients I want!
Tags:blackcat, daycarediva, hate my job, job satisfaction
Reply Up