Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Home On Holiday But Bring Kids To Daycare
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:38 AM 07-03-2012
I just can't begin to understand it. When I worked outside of the home, I missed my kids and when I had a day off I enjoyed and looked forward to spending time with them. I just can't understand why some would rather send them to daycare when both mom and dad have the day off (with no plans and stated if I was open the mom and dad would go do something).

Why wouldn't you want to spend your July 4th holiday with your own kids? Just makes me sad.

I am seriously considering closing for all holidays due to some parents ways of thinking (or NOT thinking!) and just take the lost pay as I can see this family will take advantage of all open days even if they don't have to be to work.
DBug 04:53 AM 07-03-2012
When I first started, I purposely took all stats off with pay, so that I would have those extra days with JUST my own kids and husband. Since then, I've realized it's been for the benefit of the dc kids too -- they get a chance to spend a long weekend with their parents (whether the parents like it or not ).
Truly Scrumptious 05:10 AM 07-03-2012
I close on all of the holidays with pay now. I learned a long time ago that if parents can ditch their kids, they will. There are some exceptions, but it's rare. I'm not a babysitter. I provide care for parents while they work. I have to take yearly training, cpr classes, endure a silly assessment each year, keep paperwork updated and much more. I deserve a day off too!
LittleCrawfishCC 05:13 AM 07-03-2012
I personally take all federal holidays off with pay! This is not a normal job, I don't get to call in when my daughter or I are sick. So I personally think that I deserve these days off. If someone doesn't like it, then they can find someone else. I do daycare for the kids, but it is also a job. I have had a few family's along the way that would be here open to close, but I have weeded most of them out. I personally don't agree with it, and this is why I do what I do, so I can be home with my daughter

(sorry for any typing errors, I'm using my phone . )
countrymom 05:19 AM 07-03-2012
this is why I'm closed. It has nothing to do with money. Its the principal. Why should I be open 5 days a week while some parents sit at home and do nothing, then why have kids if you want them to live at someone elses house.
cheerfuldom 05:43 AM 07-03-2012
Why are you even open??? you need a break too and you need to start closing for at least the basic holidays
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:04 AM 07-03-2012
I have only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas because I do not charge for any days I close including holidays, and have always needed the income. The reason I do not charge when I close, even on holidays is I am in a lower populated area where there is always someone else who will do daycare without charging for days the kids do not attend, and sometimes it takes a while to fill spots, which I cannot afford to wait to fill spots.

I am now in a better financial situation where it would not hurt me to lose a day of income here and there, so I have to work on changing my days I close.
Heidi 06:10 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I have only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas because I do not charge for any days I close including holidays, and have always needed the income. The reason I do not charge when I close, even on holidays is I am in a lower populated area where there is always someone else who will do daycare without charging for days the kids do not attend, and sometimes it takes a while to fill spots, which I cannot afford to wait to fill spots.

I am now in a better financial situation where it would not hurt me to lose a day of income here and there, so I have to work on changing my days I close.
Just something to consider-

Many people calling about childcare ask about rates over the phone, and this may determine whether or not they interview you.

Paid Holidays, however, are not usually discussed until towards the end of the interview process, when you are going through the contract details. By then, most parents have already made a decision based on how much they like you and your program. Since you are undoubtedly pretty awesome, getting them in the door is probably the key.

So....give yourself a few paid Holidays starting next year. I'm thinking for most parents, this would not be a deal-breaker.

I have had parents not schedule an interview for location or for weekly tuition. I have NEVER had anyone come for an interview, love my program, and then say "no" because of a few paid holidays.
Mary Poppins 06:31 AM 07-03-2012
It is hearbreaking when you have parents like this. I had one who would leave her 2yo dd with me for upwards of 60 hours a week so she could work PT and have "me time". I put an end to that quickly.

I definitely agree with the pp's who say TAKE HOLIDAYS OFF! Paid if you feel you can (I prorate for closed days but that's just me). It's sad, but if you don't force these people to be with their kids on special days, they won't do it on their own.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:38 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Since you are undoubtedly pretty awesome, getting them in the door is probably the key.
<he he> thanks! If I were putting my kids in home daycare, I would choose me :-) I'm clean, calm, and offer awesome outings.

I will definitely be making a new schedule of days off. I don't get many days with my husband and kids only so my schedule needs to change.
Kiki 06:45 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I will definitely be making a new schedule of days off. I don't get many days with my husband and kids only so my schedule needs to change.

For sure do it!

I too am off for the norm holidays, it really is nice to have those days with just your family. Especially ones like tomorrow when there are all day events going on.
pootmcgoot 06:59 AM 07-03-2012
When I started, I wrote all holidays and DONSAs (Day of no service activity or no work for the army) into my contract so I'd have days off with my husband. Unless the parent is in SERIOUS trouble and has majorly fudged up at work, they will have the DONSA and holiday off. It's been a god send. On average I get 1 day weekend a month. I get wed/thurs off for the fourth (if I had kids in care right now).

Try looking at the Army donsa schedule just to give you an idea of federal holidays. I do know the army is liberal with these holidays so Im unsure if the civillian job force is given these holidays off.

Good luck!
Willow 08:14 AM 07-03-2012
It's right in my handbook that I'm a daycare provider, not a babysitter.

Daycare providers watch children so parents can work a regularly scheduled job that supports their family financially. I literally laid out that I'm not here to watch your child while you go get your hair done, have lunch with a friend or want to grocery shop unhindered. If you have things to do get a sitter or bring your children with! If you have a day off I expect parents to WANT to spend time with their kids! Sure we'd all like a break once in awhile, or to run errands unhindered, but parents need to be with their children as much as possible. Literally every minute counts, especially when they're younger. I would not hesitate to express my disdain for parents who believe otherwise right there during an initial interview. I make my position very clear.

I could never imagine staying open major holidays, whether I needed the money or not everyone deserve a day off here and there. On the flip side of that I'm straight shocked parents would even consider bringing their children to daycare on such a day - much less if that had off of work themselves! How awful!!!!!!

I am so glad you're reconsidering the idea of being open for such major holidays OP!!!
Sunchimes 08:26 AM 07-03-2012
I have it in my contract that I'm closed (no pay) on the 4th. But I took off unexpectedly for my husband's surgery, and both moms were so very nice about it. One is off, so it doesn't matter, but one has to work, and I offered to keep her child. We always go to a parade and family reunion about 45 miles away, but we will take her along. Our families are use to us having spare kids along. ;-)

My step-dad died this morning. We weren't close, but I feel like I need to go see my sister tomorrow, (she was very close to him) for just a little bit. So, we will do the reunion (his family) then head further north to spend a little time with Sis. DCM has approved the plans, so it's going to be a busier day care day than I expected.
skittles 10:57 AM 07-03-2012
I really agree with Willow! I wish the world was that way, if I was that upfront with how I felt about people spending days with their children, I would have no children to watch. It is so hard to watch my nephews leave my daycare and have to go to alternate childcare in the evening so my sister and brother in law can go have their "me" time. It is hard to hear they have spent the entire weekend at other family members houses so mom and dad can go home and do nothing, clean, mow the lawn, ect. They see dad maybe 2 hours a week, and mom maybe 5. They have to go to bed as soon as they eat after daycare if they go home. It can be as early as 6 30 some nights. Mom and dad don't like to deal with them. They are 4 and 2 years old. It is hard because we are related to them, and watching them get ditched is difficult, I am just glad they are always with family.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 11:34 AM 07-03-2012
In all my daycare years I have never had a family bring the kids on a major holiday. I honestly didn't think anyone would but surprise! I certainly could of said no I am not open because I was asked, but I said yes I am but nobody else is coming, thinking they wouldn't either....so this time it is my fault for thinking, LOL....so time to redo my schedule.
Mary Poppins 01:46 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by skittles:
I really agree with Willow! I wish the world was that way, if I was that upfront with how I felt about people spending days with their children, I would have no children to watch. It is so hard to watch my nephews leave my daycare and have to go to alternate childcare in the evening so my sister and brother in law can go have their "me" time. It is hard to hear they have spent the entire weekend at other family members houses so mom and dad can go home and do nothing, clean, mow the lawn, ect. They see dad maybe 2 hours a week, and mom maybe 5. They have to go to bed as soon as they eat after daycare if they go home. It can be as early as 6 30 some nights. Mom and dad don't like to deal with them. They are 4 and 2 years old. It is hard because we are related to them, and watching them get ditched is difficult, I am just glad they are always with family.
That is incredibly sad!!!!!!
Snapdragon 02:33 PM 07-03-2012
This is a great thread and I agree with some of the points made. However, having been on both sides, I will say that there are times when parents need time together without their children. When my children were very young, my husband and I worked full-time jobs (a necessity partly because of the need for health insurance). Our children went to daycare, but sometimes when we had a day off, we would take some time for ourselves to have lunch together and reconnect. It wasn't because we didn't enjoy time with our children, but because we felt it was an important part of maintaining our relationship. After all, when the children grow up and have their own lives, it's important to have maintained that relationship with your spouse. Not a criticism of OP and others, but just another point of view.
jokalima 03:00 PM 07-03-2012
Nope! I take all fed Holidays off with pay! I will not work on a Holiday and take care of someone else kid, I have parents that would bring them, gosh I have parents that had ask me to take care of their child during a long holiday weekend.
Reply Up