Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You..Dress Up For Work?
sahdaycaremom 10:35 AM 09-10-2010
"dress up" for work? Just wondering, I usually wear just a t shirt and athletic shorts/pants, hair up in a ponytail or messy bun. I don't see the point in dressing up to change diapers and chase kids around all day Am I the only one?
DCMomOf3 10:39 AM 09-10-2010
I wear jeans., a t-shirt, sweater, or nicer top. I usually have a ponytail and makeup. Is that dressing up?
ninosqueridos 10:41 AM 09-10-2010
I was just thinking about this this morning when I almost picked out athletic pants. I wear jeans or denim capris if it's warm out. I have those plain cotton tees (short sleeve old navy style that is a little fitted and cheap) I wear for the top. Today I'm "dressed up" with a polo style shirt on top.
ninosqueridos 10:42 AM 09-10-2010
If I'm feeling down, I'll put on some makeup in the morning....otherwise it's raccoon eyes for all!
legomom922 10:52 AM 09-10-2010
Hek no!! I usually wear my lounge wear or even pjs to the door, and after I'm up for awhile, then I will get dresses...sweatpants, and t..Comfy comfy, and no make up but I rarely ever wear it anymore anyway. No one to impress, My husband loves me just the way I am!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:06 AM 09-10-2010
I wear scrub tops and cottom shorts, in summer, and scrub tops with an undershirt and yoga pants in winter
gkids09 11:07 AM 09-10-2010
I wear scrubs. Not because I think I need a uniform, but because they have SOOO many pockets, which I find very useful, and I don't mind getting anything on them (bleach, snot, vomit, etc.). Before I started wearing scrubs, it was comfy pants and a t-shirt.
DCMomOf3 11:19 AM 09-10-2010
I love the idea of scrubs. Where do you get them, are there stores or only online?
TGT09 11:19 AM 09-10-2010
I seem to dress up more in the summer than the winter. I would normally throw on athletic shorts or jean capri's in the summer. In the winter, I am all sweats, yoga pants, and sweatshirts.

No make-up unless we are going on a field trip. And, my parents are lucky if I've brushed my hair before they get here. lol
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:21 AM 09-10-2010
I buy my scrubs on clearance,..lol. ALTHOUGH,.. Im purposely looking for a COLTS one!!!! I buy at walmart, our farm store, anywhere really.
SunflowerMama 11:34 AM 09-10-2010
I have a few tees with my logo on them so will usually wear those with khaki shorts. I got the cutest chocolate brown apron made with a little acorn and 'Miss Helen' from someone on etsy so I'll wear that during the day sometimes and during pickup if my shirt is a total mess and also during interviews.

I never wear makeup so nothing new there and my hair is always in a messy bun thing with a cutesy headband (I am crazy about headbands ).
WImom 11:43 AM 09-10-2010
I wear jeans and a tee shirt most days (plain fitted ones from Old navy/target). Some days I wear Yoga pants. I try to limit that to once a week though. I just feel more professional with my hair done and dressed decent when the parents come. Now I'm not caring for infants (2y and up only) so I'm not getting spit up on all day.
mncare 11:55 AM 09-10-2010
I wear yoga pants (I hate jeans unless I am out and about) and cute tshirts from Maurices and Target. I don't spend much but it ruins my mood if I feel too schlumpy. I need to start wearing a little bit of makeup, that helps my mood, too. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair. I wanted to grow it but I hate just putting it up. I may just chop it off!
katie 12:26 PM 09-10-2010
Grody clothes here. T shirt and shorts. The other day both of my moms noticed the orange on the side of me. Puke!
gkids09 12:27 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
I love the idea of scrubs. Where do you get them, are there stores or only online?
We have a Garden Ridge (sort of like Hobby Lobby) about an hour and a half away from where I live. I get the scrubs there, $5 for the top and $5 for the pants. They also have scrub jackets, and sometimes you can get them for less than that. I don't like getting them at Wal-Mart because they are always at least $10 for each where I live.
sahm2three 12:36 PM 09-10-2010
I wear just normal clothes. I usually shower at night because I workout at night and then just get up and fix hair and put makeup on. Same thing I did before I started daycare. No dress up, just regular clothes. If I feel like sweats (yoga pants) then I do that. Whatever.
tenderhearts 12:48 PM 09-10-2010
I do my normal thing as I would on weekends. Makeup normal clothes, jeans, sweat pants (which I like to wear more of now, much more comfy womfy), t-shirt, sweaters ect. For me doing make ect just makes me feel better, seems if I don't I feel incomplete, or lazy feeling. If that makes sense.
Former Teacher 02:08 PM 09-10-2010

Well let's see:

When I worked in the daycare center first it was casual. Then former boss got a wild hair you know where and said everyone wears scrubs everyday. Then it was only during school year. Then eventually we all stopped wearing them lol

Now as a private nanny I walk in the house, take off my shoes, and make sure the door leading to the garage is UNlocked (meaning dad left for work). If he did, off comes the bra! If he didn't leave then I wait until he does leave.

Mom works at home upstairs and she too is bra less and in pjs all day. I love it!
momofboys 02:25 PM 09-10-2010
I shower & get dressed but it's very casual, I won't wear nice clothes to fingerpaint & change diapers in, lol! In fact I got paint on my T-shirt today. Usually I wear a nice t-shirt or sweatshirt with shorts or jeans. I do wear sweaters in the winter that are a tad bit nicer.
MyAngels 05:53 PM 09-10-2010
I wear jeans (fall and winter) or shorts, with a decent T-shirt and sneakers and minimal makeup. I do shower and fix my hair each morning & am always fully dressed before the kids arrive. I don't wear much in the way of jewelry, I've even gotten away from wearing my wedding rings during the day as they're kind of big and bulky.
Abigail 06:40 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I wear jeans (fall and winter) or shorts, with a decent T-shirt and sneakers and minimal makeup. I do shower and fix my hair each morning & am always fully dressed before the kids arrive. I don't wear much in the way of jewelry, I've even gotten away from wearing my wedding rings during the day as they're kind of big and bulky.
My ring is the only jewelry I currently wear. I usually don't dress up, it's lately workout pants and a t-shirt....if I could fit into my jeans, arg! My hair is always up in a pony tail and the babies can still grab and pull--I have a lot of thick hair!
melskids 09:34 AM 09-11-2010
tshirt and jenas or comfy pants for me.

i do put on a little makeup and try to do my hair nice (no big blow out though)

no jewlery, not even my wedding ring. i have to wash my hands too often!!!
kendallina 09:42 AM 09-11-2010
I wear black comfy pants, but they look nice (I'd like to think ). Also a nice top, makeup (NO ONE gets to see me without make-up). I never do anything with my hair except comb it.
Unregistered 03:50 PM 09-11-2010
No way I dont dress up I wear my OLD t shirts you know the ones with bleach stains, food stains from kids lol, and capris or yoga pants, hair is pulled up in a pony tail, and I never wear make up anyways my skin is to senstive I thought about getting a few scrub tops for daycare.
legomom922 06:59 PM 09-11-2010
Can someone tell me what yoga pants are???
Jewels 06:37 AM 09-12-2010
Yoga pants are stretchy cotton pants, made for working out, usually slightly tighter than sweatepants. Check out victorias secret for pictures, they have alot. But they sell them everywhere now.
caitlin 07:07 AM 09-12-2010
Jeans or capris, tee shirt, and bare feet or socks all day every day. I don't do makeup and my hair is always up in a pony tail.
kidkair 09:57 AM 09-12-2010
Anything I'm willing to get stained or has previous stains on them. I wear dresses and skirts and dress pants too but they are cheap or old and I like to get them looking like they've been used. No make up but I wear 7 rings all the time. I often wear a necklace when I don't have a baby to pull on it. Hair up or down depending on my mood and how much baby pulls on it during the day. Bare feet or socks all day too.
legomom922 08:06 PM 09-12-2010
Are yoga pants like leggins?
melissa ann 04:36 AM 09-13-2010
I wear jeans in the cooler months, shorts when it's warmer. I ususally just wear t-shirts that I get at Michaels/AC Moore when they go sale for 2/$5!
I'm always staining my shirts this way, so I don't care if I mess this up for only $2.50/shirt. Sometimes I will pull my hair back, if not all, then I will pull up the sides. No jewelry except for 2 rings. No shoes except when parents are due to arrive.
SilverSabre25 05:40 AM 09-13-2010
Shorts and short-sleeved shirt in summer, pants and long-sleeved shirt in winter. Barefoot in summer and with socks/slippers/barefoot in winter, depending on my mood.
MarinaVanessa 12:19 PM 09-13-2010
Flip-flops, long light skirts or light-weight pilates pants with a baby-tee in warm weather and my hair in a pony-tail or bun. In colder weather it's pilates pants, jeans, ugg boots and a long sleeve shirt/turtleneck and my hair is still in a pony-tail or bun. Don't usually wear make-up unless I'm going out. Maybe that's why I still look like I'm in my early 20's instead of my late 20's.
Cradles and Crayons 07:42 AM 09-17-2010
Very rarely do I ever wear jeans. I tend to always wear nice capri's or nice dress pants that are comfortable. In the summer I wear short sleeve dressing pullover shirts and in the winter sweaters. They are more comfortable than jeans. The parents appreciate that I look business like. And I buy all of my clothes for work at Goodwill for $3.98. I don't feel bad when they get stained or bleach marked. I also can afford to have a much nicer, broader wardrobe than buying new.

Very rarely makeup (on or off work) but always have my nails painted (the girls like them) and wear rings, earings, necklaces and bracelets. Never had a problem with them or the kids and have been in the business for 27 years.
Cradles and Crayons 07:44 AM 09-17-2010
I also keep several long sleeve scrub top to protect me for those messy projects.
professionalmom 10:15 AM 09-21-2010
I dressed as comfy as possible because I needed the ability to bend and twist in a variety of ways throughout the day and could not stand anything that pinched or tugged. Plus, why would I risk getting bodily fluids, crafts, food, etc on anything that cost more than $5!

I used to do my hair, but then the girls decided that they liked using me as their beauty salon guinea pig - so again, what's the point? I would wash and comb it, but not style it into anything special.

Makeup - why waste the money? For those who like doing yourself up a little or a lot - great! I'm just very conservative with money and if I think I'm wasting it, I forgo the item (like makeup or clothes for daycare that are over $5). I do wear makeup, do my hair, and have REALLY nice clothes (I was once on the fast track to a career in law - so I do have super nice suits). But I save all of that for non-daycare time - like weddings, church, date nights with the hubby, parties, etc.
DanceMom 07:29 AM 09-22-2010
Sweat pants, T-shirt and hoodie - I live in those everyday. Im not about to ruin good clothes with paint, snot, poop, pee, mud , vomit etc ! Also need to be comfortable so I can get down and play with the kids !!
Tags:dress code, provider clothing
Reply Up