Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Do I Give the Parents Their Tax Receipt or Not?
Unregistered 12:48 PM 02-03-2015
I need some honest opinions.... I know I am not required legally to give the parents their year end receipt. But I got a text yesterday from a family asking where there's was. I have no intention of giving them one. But since they asked over text am I now required?

A little background... I watched their daughter for about 2 months for 2-3 days a week early last year. They ended care with me because they thought i was too unreliable... My daughter and I both got sick on 2 different occasions where it required me to close and it just happened to be on days her daughter came ( Daughter was throwing up/diarrhea). Anyway... to the main reason why I do not want to help her out. The last week she would have been in care I miscarried at 12 weeks. I took off that Friday to have a D & C surgery. She ended care over the weekend. A month later she wrote a very hurtful review about my daycare saying I am unreliable and don't take my job seriously...take too much time off etc.

Do I suck it up and give it to her or do I tell her to pack sand? I am still very upset and just mad at her careless and heartless review. We discussed my policy in full and she agreed to the fact that she needed backup care in case of emergency closers etc. I don't feel like I owe her anything.

My heart is pounding and I'm shaking right now!! i hate confrontation, but I really want to tell her she is a horrible person!!

What do you think.... do I have to give it to her?
Baby Beluga 01:15 PM 02-03-2015
From my understanding you don't have to legally giver her anything unless she gives you a W-10.... However, I personally think it is unprofessional not to give it. I would just give it to her and be done with it.
TomCopeland 01:24 PM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I need some honest opinions.... I know I am not required legally to give the parents their year end receipt. But I got a text yesterday from a family asking where there's was. I have no intention of giving them one. But since they asked over text am I now required?

A little background... I watched their daughter for about 2 months for 2-3 days a week early last year. They ended care with me because they thought i was too unreliable... My daughter and I both got sick on 2 different occasions where it required me to close and it just happened to be on days her daughter came ( Daughter was throwing up/diarrhea). Anyway... to the main reason why I do not want to help her out. The last week she would have been in care I miscarried at 12 weeks. I took off that Friday to have a D & C surgery. She ended care over the weekend. A month later she wrote a very hurtful review about my daycare saying I am unreliable and don't take my job seriously...take too much time off etc.

Do I suck it up and give it to her or do I tell her to pack sand? I am still very upset and just mad at her careless and heartless review. We discussed my policy in full and she agreed to the fact that she needed backup care in case of emergency closers etc. I don't feel like I owe her anything.

My heart is pounding and I'm shaking right now!! i hate confrontation, but I really want to tell her she is a horrible person!!

I'm very sorry to hear how this parent treated you.
You are not required to give a parent a receipt, no matter how they request it. Period. If the parent gives you IRS Form W-10 and you refuse to fill it out, you could face a $50 penalty from the IRS. But, parents don't understand that they should give you this form to get your identification number.
But, the Form W-10 doesn't have a space to put how much the parent paid, so that's not a receipt, even if you filled it out for the parent.
Bottom line - giving out parent receipts is a curtsey only. As a general rule, it's good business practice to give out end of the year receipts. You should also weigh the consequences of not giving the parent a receipt (she might complain to licensing or to other parents and spread bad word of mouth). But, in the end, there is no requirement for you to give a parent a receipt.
Leigh 01:32 PM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

It sounds like your mind is made up. If this is the case, I would simply ignore all communications from the parent until they provide a w-10. If they do provide it, fill it out and send it back to them. As Tom already said, it's not your responsibility to provide a receipt.
Unregistered 01:38 PM 02-03-2015
Thank you both for your advice. I agree with both of you. I'm not one to stoop to others levels.... Kill em with kindness as my mom would always say... Ill just let them know they can send me a form - they wrote me with checks so they can add up what they paid me.

I sent everyone a tax receipt this year even if they didn't ask for it... including the few kids that left throughout the year. This one family just left a bad taste in my mouth so I wanted to make sure if I HAVE to or not...

Thanks again for the help!!
Unregistered 01:42 PM 02-03-2015
Thanks Leah...

I was going to ignore them, but in the text they mentioned they would come to my house. I would like to avoid that. I don't want to start a war with them, and they aren't welcome at my home again.

I know it seems petty. That's why I asked for opinions... maybe I'm over reacting a little at this point!!
Thriftylady 06:03 AM 02-09-2015
I would send a text letting them know coming to my house would be considered trespassing the the police would be called and the door not opened.
Reply Up