Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Client Hyper About Photos
E Daycare 01:19 PM 08-09-2011
So I have a new dcf starting next Monday. She's signed all paperwork and gave enrollment fee right away. Thought I'd have a class A parent so far. Well at interview she brought her mom with her. That's fine as her dh was working. Then she came back after interview and asked for reference because her mom wanted her to get one. Yeah that's fine and all but wth is going on with this "my mom wanted...." crap? You're the parent. Anyways I let that kinda leave my mind cause I want to go in this open minded. Next the reference I gave her texts me (she's a old client that left and is now a friend) to say that this new client asked about facebook.

I have a Facebook fan page. I use it to keep parents and family informed and as advertising. It's on my cl ad as well as on local forums. At the interview I told her these exact things. She never once said she didn't want me to post anything. She just said they didn't use Facebook. Yeah that's fine. So now I'm pretty sure she's gonna be a up my butt client. I already termed one for beig a pain so I'm more than ready to boot this one too. I'm gonna write up a "permission to photograph" form and but exclusions like "if you chose to waive this your child will be excluded from my security camera that you so much love, child photo art work, our child collage wall and emergency photos".

Do you think that's harsh? I'm starting to get annoyed at this point. Yeah I'm All for the innocence of children and know about the crazy Internet (my husbands a developer and security engineer for GE for crying out loud and the DOD). She's also not wanting me to take her kid on any trips outside the home.

By golly gee wiz if she's gonna be a nut job I'm gonna lose it.

Excuse me if this is all crazy as I typed this up on my iPhone. On vacation at that. Lol
wdmmom 01:25 PM 08-09-2011
If a prospective client already secured a deposit and had an issue with Facebook...TFB (Too Flippin' Bad)!

I have a Facebook page. I keep the parents informed on what we did throughout the day, I put my breakfast & lunch menu on there and rather than passing out newsletters, I put them all on there for the parents to see.

I only "friend" daycare parents on the daycare's Facebook page. I also have it set to private so that random strangers can't see the "Wall" or the "Photos".
cheerfuldom 01:29 PM 08-09-2011
what do you mean by she doesn't want her kid leaving the house....does she not want any field trips or does she literally not want him out of the house, even in the backyard or for walks? I would clarify what you do and if she doesn't like it, she can leave.
E Daycare 01:30 PM 08-09-2011
Yeah I do the same thing. I like the TFB idea. Think I'm gonna stuck with that. I'm not for appeasing parents 24/7. She has a issue with it then that's her thing. Go somewhere else.
E Daycare 01:34 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
what do you mean by she doesn't want her kid leaving the house....does she not want any field trips or does she literally not want him out of the house, even in the backyard or for walks? I would clarify what you do and if she doesn't like it, she can leave.
She doesnt want me driving him on field trips that are towards the city. Dck is 3 days a week so when I plan a trip she can move him to another day but ts like come on. When her kid goes to school good luck getting out of trips out of class and no photos being taken.

She said "trips to the museum and aquarium are family thugs my mom and I do". Hey no problem but they are also daycare/ school things too.
cheerfuldom 02:01 PM 08-09-2011
you know, I think you should let them go or at least put the family on a tight leash. sounds like grandma is the instigator so don't be surprised if she shows up to spy on you or sends the mom asking for more and more special treatment.
PitterPatter 02:10 PM 08-09-2011
Along with my handbook and contract I have a permission to photograph, video, swim and water play. I state that they photos may be used for crafts, newsletters, advertising and to share with families. Never had anyone deny permission for any.

U could still take the group photos and just crop out or black out a child that doesn't have permission. Another thing u can do is take all above shots or side shots where the face isn't showing. Or the kids could wear summer hats on when outside to block the faces. I don't see where a parent could complain about that either. No one can tell who the kids are.
PitterPatter 02:14 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
She doesnt want me driving him on field trips that are towards the city. Dck is 3 days a week so when I plan a trip she can move him to another day but ts like come on. When her kid goes to school good luck getting out of trips out of class and no photos being taken.

She said "trips to the museum and aquarium are family thugs my mom and I do". Hey no problem but they are also daycare/ school things too.
I have the issue of field trips covered also in the handbook. If the child can not go for some reason or doesn't have permission then the parent must find an alternate provider for that day.

This family sounds too dramatic for me! Lord know I have my own share here but wow! I would be happy my child was having the experiences. I too take my son to all the museums and parks etc but a kid can never have too much exposure to such things. And I would love to see pics displayed but that's just me.
Crazy8 02:19 PM 08-09-2011
I have a permission to photograph form in with my sign up packet. I've never had a parent choose not to sign it but if they did I would honor their request and not photograph their child AT ALL. I would make them supply me with an emergency photo and that would be it.

But I am not one for posting kids pics on a public site. I will only post pics that aren't full on face shots.

It sounds like there are already other issues with this family... I'd be much more concerned with the not taking them out thing. If that is a normal part of your program I would say you aren't the right fit for them and they should look into other options.
MarinaVanessa 02:31 PM 08-09-2011
Oh good lordy. Your DCM is giving me a headache already. I have an issue with a DCM that didn't sign the waiver for transportation, (which reminds me I still have to talk to her . So I guess we will see if I will have a DC opening once school starts lol) and it's been AWFUL. I've been putting off talking to DCM about it but once school starts we will be taking at least 2 trips in the car a day.

Take it from me, it will drive you CRAZY!!

As for the gradmama being the upity type ... just tell the DCM to let her mama read the contract and policies next time that another issue comes up. If DCM doesn't like it (or rather her mama) and isn't happy make sure to remind her that she needs to give you 2 weeks notice of termination once she find a suitable DC . Two mama dramas for ONE child???? {{{shivers}}} I can barely deal with one drama mama, never would I want two.
SandeeAR 02:40 PM 08-09-2011
personally, I think I would end this one before it starts.
grandmom 04:04 PM 08-09-2011
I've had a few question the photos. I explain to them that I take photos all the time, and there's no way emotionally, that I can leave a child out of a photo. That's like picking teams and always being not picked.

Seriously, finish your vacation and then deal with this DCGM and DCM.
E Daycare 04:12 PM 08-09-2011
I really want this to work so we will see how it goes. Thankfully I added "at will" to my termination portion of my contract. Make my life easier if things get too annoying. I've made it well aware I have a nice long wait list too. And my ad will always be up. You can never settle. I refuse to do that again.

Is it too hard to just be NORMAL? What are these parents gonna do once school starts? Can't regulate everything parents, your kid isnt "special"
sharlan 08:42 PM 08-09-2011
Run, don't walk from this family.
3kidzmama 09:01 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Two mama dramas for ONE child???? {{{shivers}}} I can barely deal with one drama mama, never would I want two.
*sigh* I have this family. The mama is super overprotective, but HER mama is ten times worse. The two of them drive me insane. Luckily I adore DCG, or I don't think I would put up with them for long.

To OP: trust me, this is a pain in the a** waiting to happen.
jclick 04:19 AM 08-10-2011
Grrrrr...I had a little one I loved to pieces, but her "grandmother" was horrible. very controlling over the mom and told the mom things to say. she'd say things like, my grandmother doesn't think you should let her do this or that. I'm sorry, but you're the mom if you can't think for yourself and your child then you have a long life ahead of you. I finally convinced her that she would be better off sending her to one of our local preschool's for the educational aspect of it. Phew. I miss the girl, but not the drama.
Solandia 04:47 AM 08-10-2011
There could be any number of reasons mom/grandma have for no pics, beyond just being a pain in the rear, that they do no feel like sharing with someone they just met.

Facebook isn't exactly known for it's stellar security features, so if they don't want their kids pics on the net, they shouldn't be pressured to have it out there. For the average child, a pic on the net is no big deal. For a foster kid, it is a huge deal, and you wouldn't get permission. I can't put my foster child's picture on MY private Facebook, nor in the school paper, the local paper, or on his school's website-----like for awards, club pictures, events...

Now, let's say a parent has an adopted child, that they just don't want the bio family to be stalking their moves, the bio dad is in a gang, or a crazy exMIL that likes to grab photos and publish them on her facebook referencing them as her kids that were taken away.

I am guessing that your particular client is just being contrary and trying to exert control onto the situation. That is the most common reason for denying field trips and photos.
Tags:facebook, over protective, photo permission
Reply Up