Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Does It Normally Take A New Kid To Warm Up?
Unregistered 11:58 AM 02-17-2015
I have a new day care kid that is 12 months. The kid has cried every day practically all day for the entire first week. She even cries during meal times while she is eating.

I am just wondering how long do new kids who are a little slow to warm up take to stop crying like this? How much time should I give her before I can actually say that it is not a good fit. I was thinking that if she keeps this up for 2 more weeks I may have to term.

Any experience with this? All of the other kids I've had have never been this unhappy all of the time.
Baby Beluga 12:04 PM 02-17-2015
I always expected about two weeks for a full timer and about 1 month for a part timer.
blueskiesbutterflies 12:05 PM 02-17-2015
I guess it really depends on the child. However, I do not let it go on for over 2 weeks. I know some has a three and four week trial period, but mine is 2 weeks. I did make an exception and let it go on for 2 months because the little girl was from a different country and spoke a different language. We talked, looked, and acted weird so of course she cried!

I have never had any, besides the little girl not adjust after 2 weeks. Most of mine do not cry at all but you do have the ones who will not adjust. Give it another week or two...maybe it will work out
Jack Sprat 12:55 PM 02-17-2015
I had a little one who started daycare at 18 months. It took exactly 4 weeks for the crying ALL DAY, screaming, trying to rip up the bottom of the pack n play, not eating at all etc to stop.

BUT, when he did adjust he was the most wonderful and enjoyable child. It was a horrid 4 weeks but, I do think the end result was worth it.

It does depend on the child. In my contract I give a two week trial notice. This guy stayed longer because his parents are amazing. They were totally on board with helping him adjust.
Controlled Chaos 01:11 PM 02-17-2015
Poor LO and poor you! That is tough. I let it go 2 weeks before conferencing with parents. If they are comfortable with letting LO adjust I try a month.
nanglgrl 01:33 PM 02-17-2015
I dont set a time limit for this sort of thing and just do it until I'm know I won't be able to do it for another two weeks. I think it often times (for me) depends on the cry (loud and shrill is something hard for me to cope with), the parents, the type of crying (fake or real), the child's schedule and the glimpses of the child behind the mess they are currently.

I had one girl who was sad to the point of after 3 months I talked to my husband and told him I was going to have to give her lovely mom her 2 week notice the following day. The next day the child flipped her switch and was an amazing and delightful child for the next 2 years. A child I currently have was the same way except he didn't cry but instead kind of moped around all day, no smiles, no eating, no play etc. he is also now a delight and it was like a switch flipped. The only children I had with this problem were part time, entered my daycare between 1-2 years and had never been in daycare prior.
Reply Up