Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping Routines
childcaremom 12:19 PM 03-28-2015
So my nap routine has been as follows:
Clean up from lunch
Storytime
Say good night to friends
Put each child to bed

If a child cries, I will go in and check on them periodically, rub their back, tuck them in again. Never have to do it for longer than 15 minutes.

This is for my ones still in pnps, so btwn 12-18 months.

My older ones are on cots, all still nappers, and will lay quietly until they fall asleep. Again, doesn't take long to fall asleep.

What are your routines? Wondering how similar (or not) they are. I have a new group starting this week and looking for other ideas in case I need them. TIA!
Gemma 12:27 PM 03-28-2015
My group can hardly stay awake through lunch, so after they eat and wash up they go straight to their cots!
I do not rub kid's backs, even the very young, learn to self soothe sooner, if I put them in playpen and leave them alone, with the exception of replacing pacifier once or at the most twice.
..of course I do not expect babies to stay the whole duration of the nap.
jenboo 12:28 PM 03-28-2015
Lunch
Read books while I clean the kitchen
Diapers and potty
2 infants go into one room together, close door and leave
DCB goes into own room, close door and leave
Three dcb's go into another room. I sit on the floor and do computer stuff (food program, etc) until they fall asleep... Usually 15-30 minutes.. Then close the door and leave.

Then I go get my lunch and plop onto the couch.
spinnymarie 03:07 PM 03-28-2015
Kids take plates to the sink as they are excused. Then they read books and go potty while we clean up. Then we set a timer for them to finish their books, and when it goes off we shut off the lights and turn on the white noise. Infants we change and put in sleep sacks and then place in their cribs, which are in a dark room with white noise. I will replace a pacifier once or twice for infants. Sometimes I sing in the main room if kids are having a tough time, otherwise I start the food program stuff, which is in the same room with the big kids.
ColorfulSunburst 09:03 PM 03-29-2015
Children clean up from lunch
Potty
Tees-brushing
Each child goes to bed
I kiss each of them and wish good rest
I sit in the room where children have nap till all of them fall asleep. It usually is my lunch time. When all children fall asleep and I am done with my lunch I start to wash all dishes.
Josiegirl 03:15 AM 03-30-2015
You all make it sound so easy.
Well, let's see....lunch time seems to give my dcks a 2nd wind. So here goes:
Kids bring their dishes to the sink and spill half their leftover milk on the floor, their food goes all down the side of the garbage can. We wash hands and I encourage them to go to the living room and find books to read. They then start running circles and yelling or fighting over stuffed animals for naps.

After I've cleared the table, I put cots out and darken the playroom. Diaper time and potty time next. The 3 PT'ed ones fight over who has to go 1st. I don't wanna go! I don't have to go! I just went! I threaten, bribe, talk my ears off to encourage *somebody* goes or we won't have time to read a story. So all 3 in unison yells "We don't want a story!" The littler ones have been changed and watch the birds at the feeders while licking the windowsills. While standing there, they poop. So I repeat the diaper changing.

By now 2 of the PTed dcks have gone potty and the last one takes forEVA, with me running back and forth to see what the heck she's doing. Meanwhile the other 2 have started running circles again, now with the little ones. I scoop up the youngest, say night night and put her in the p'n'play in a separate room. Making progress.

Now everybody is ready for a story. Everyone brings me a book. I can only read 1. It's usually a Gerald and Piggie book, our favorite books in the whole wide world. The dcks sit down and listen(sort of). Then we get our blankets/pillows and stuffed cuddlies, plus a couple more books to lay down with. I turn on the music. One child immediately closes her eyes and is out like a light. Two others like to read their books aloud with me reminding them it is quiet time after all. The 4th is slow to lay down, slow to realize that yes, quiet time means her too. Eventually, she'll lay down for 15 minutes before popping up to tell me she needs something, water, potty again, more stuffies or books(NO). Then for the next 45 minutes I repeat it's quiet time, sssshhh to this one particular child. If I'm lucky everyone else falls asleep and stays asleep for an hour. Except of course needy child.

See? You all make it sound so easy.
Stephnrich 05:27 AM 03-30-2015
After lunch, the children take turns using the restroom and then may pick a book to bring to the table. After everyone has gone and diapers have been checked, they go line up in my front living room where they nap. When they're on their mats with a blanket, I read 3 books. They each get a turn saying what they'll dream about, then it's lights out and I turn a fan on in the hall for white noise. I read a book or play on my kindle on the couch until the last kid falls asleep. Then I can get up and clean.
laundrymom 06:09 AM 03-30-2015
We do stories during morning play.
We:
I change babies
I fix lunch while they clean up toys.
I put babies in their high hairs and plate food.
I send them potty, no choices here. I tell them to potty. I don't ask.
Boys first. Girls second.
When they potty and wash they go straight to table and eat.
After lunch, I send them to their cots. (All mine now nap on cots)
I turn on radio for white noise and flip off lights. They're asleep within 3-5 minutes.
We all sleep in same room no matter age. In two weeks we add a newborn to our mix. He will sleep in same room in crib. I fit 10 in our nap room and they all sleep. All nap. Every day. I stay in room w them.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:32 AM 03-30-2015
We eat lunch and then the kids get down to play for about 15-20 minutes while I clean up. Diapers are changed and big kids go potty. Dcg goes in pnp in one room (dark w/ fan), dd goes in her bed, and big kids go on mats on floor. Takes about 15-20 minutes for everyone to fall asleep. I watch tv, eat lunch, surf internet, pay bills, ect. Our nap routine is pretty easy, so when anyone gets in the way of that, I am one cranky lady!
AmyKidsCo 09:20 AM 03-30-2015
Lunch, potty/diapers/play until everyone is ready, story, nap. I don't rub backs or sit by children but will comfort and tuck in again if needed. As a parent I would've been really frustrated if their child care provider had gotten them used to back rubs every day at nap. Plus I could never fall asleep if someone was rubbing my back or sitting by me watchimg me.
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Lunch, potty/diapers/play until everyone is ready, story, nap. I don't rub backs or sit by children but will comfort and tuck in again if needed. As a parent I would've been really frustrated if their child care provider had gotten them used to back rubs every day at nap. Plus I could never fall asleep if someone was rubbing my back or sitting by me watchimg me.
^^what she said
jenboo 10:11 AM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Kids bring their dishes to the sink and spill half their leftover milk on the floor, their food goes all down the side of the garbage can. We wash hands and I encourage them to go to the living room and find books to read. They then start running circles and yelling or fighting over stuffed animals for naps.

After I've cleared the table, I put cots out and darken the playroom. Diaper time and potty time next. The 3 PT'ed ones fight over who has to go 1st. I don't wanna go! I don't have to go! I just went! I threaten, bribe, talk my ears off to encourage *somebody* goes or we won't have time to read a story. So all 3 in unison yells "We don't want a story!" The littler ones have been changed and watch the birds at the feeders while licking the windowsills. While standing there, they poop. So I repeat the diaper changing.

By now 2 of the PTed dcks have gone potty and the last one takes forEVA, with me running back and forth to see what the heck she's doing. Meanwhile the other 2 have started running circles again, now with the little ones. I scoop up the youngest, say night night and put her in the p'n'play in a separate room. Making progress.

Now everybody is ready for a story. Everyone brings me a book. I can only read 1. It's usually a Gerald and Piggie book, our favorite books in the whole wide world. The dcks sit down and listen(sort of). Then we get our blankets/pillows and stuffed cuddlies, plus a couple more books to lay down with. I turn on the music. One child immediately closes her eyes and is out like a light. Two others like to read their books aloud with me reminding them it is quiet time after all. The 4th is slow to lay down, slow to realize that yes, quiet time means her too. Eventually, she'll lay down for 15 minutes before popping up to tell me she needs something, water, potty again, more stuffies or books(NO). Then for the next 45 minutes I repeat it's quiet time, sssshhh to this one particular child. If I'm lucky everyone else falls asleep and stays asleep for an hour. Except of course needy child.

How do you brave that?!
Lunch to nap time is the easiest part of my day. It's literally as simple as I stated.
ColorfulSunburst 10:18 AM 03-30-2015
Kids bring their dishes to the sink and spill half their leftover milk on the floor, their food goes all down the side of the garbage can.
I have a container at a child table and they put into it all caps and utensils. They putt all dishes on a serving table. Only one child can do it at the same time. When one child cleans up, a second one is on potty, a third one brushes his teeth, all others are waiting by sitting at a table. When the third one is done he goes to his mat, the second one starts brush his teeth, the first one go to potty, and I allow one of the waiting child to start cleaning up. So all of them are moving one after another in this "line". It takes around 15-20 minutes till a last one go to sleep. I have 6 boys here (2yo, 2.6, 2.9, 2.9, 3.6, 3.6)

After I've cleared the table, I put cots out and darken the playroom.
Our nap are always is ready before kids go to eat. They help me to get it ready. I also do not clean anything after lunch till all children fall asleep. Usually they do it during the first 10 minutes after getting on mats.

Diaper time and potty time next. The 3 PT'ed ones fight over who has to go 1st. I don't wanna go! I don't have to go! I just went! I threaten, bribe, talk my ears off to encourage *somebody* goes or we won't have time to read a story. So all 3 in unison yells "We don't want a story!" The littler ones have been changed and watch the birds at the feeders while licking the windowsills. While standing there, they poop. So I repeat the diaper changing.
I have individual potty for 4 younger boys. As a result they do not fight about who will go first at any time. The two 3.6 yo do not fight too. I just say who go first and who need to wait.

I do not have no one of this problems. I do not read any book before nap and no one ask me about anything. Usually the two or three boys are asleep when the last one comes to bed.

Try to change your pre-nap routine and it will be easy too.
Annalee 10:26 AM 03-30-2015
Naptime is non-negotiable here....once the soft music CD goes in I do not hear a peep. My clients call me "magical". But it is not me, it is the role modeling my kids do for each other. Each have their own nap space with their own nap things...I provide nap materials but they learn quickly whose belong to whom. Even my infant will go to sleep alone in his pnp because that is the only time he is in his pnp....We begin this at birth and after 12 months children are placed on a mat. Of course there are days that all may not go smooth but, on the average, I look very forward to nap so I can regroup for the rest of the day!
ColorfulSunburst 10:51 AM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
once the soft music CD goes in I do not hear a peep.
same here
Martha Stewart 10:57 AM 03-30-2015
After lunch, we potty, diaper, put out cots & pens, turn on the Spa or Escape Sirius channel and lie down. Monday's are hard to convince everyone to go to sleep, but by Tuesday everyone goes to sleep pretty quickly.

I clean up lunch myself. Everyone stays at the table until lunch is cleaned up.
Jack Sprat 10:59 AM 03-30-2015
Lunch
kids scrape or throw away dishes depending on if we used paper. They put everything else in the sink.
Bathroom to wash/potty
Get a book and read, sit in living room till dishes are done.
Diaper changes for the younger two
I read 1-3 books depending on how tired they are
We all get cots out and make them
Nap CD goes in, light go out

Some days it's hairy and some days like today it flowed nicely.
Rockgirl 12:31 PM 03-30-2015
I take them two at a time to potty/change diapers while they are doing their last activity before lunch. While they eat lunch, I lay out mats/blankets. I bring a dishpan into the playroom, and they put their dishes & utensils in it, then wash all faces & hands. They are sent right to their mats. I check the diapers one more time, then it's lights out! I turn on a white noise machine and set it in the doorway to muffle any house noises. It takes 5-10 minutes for everyone to be asleep.
childcaremom 01:16 PM 03-30-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
To clarify: I will go in, retuck them in, rub their back (as in 2 rubs = 5 secs, more like a calming touch) as I say night night, and leave again. I am NOT giving out massages
Unregistered 02:01 PM 03-30-2015
Lunch
clean up and potty
outside play 30-60 minutes
inside, make beds, potty
I read them a book then they read independently for 20 minutes (or if they cannot read independently they go to bed then) in their beds. Wilderness music playing and a fan on low.
LK5kids 05:55 PM 03-30-2015
Lunch
Clean up
(Outside when I had all 3-5's
Now they are younger so we go right to :
Getting out sleeping bags
Diaper changes/potty
Soft music or book on CD
Lights out

I do story time in the morning...always have
bananas 10:54 PM 03-30-2015
Lunch

While they are eating I clean dishes that I used to cook and set up their individual reading mats (carpet samples). I place 4-5 books on each mat. I also set up cots/beds/Pack n Plays, turn on everyone's video monitors, etc.

As soon as they are done they wash their hands and go to a reading mat and read quietly/look at pictures.

I clean dirty plates until the last kid is done eating.

Put kids in diapers that need diapers for nap time.

As soon as I'm done cleaning I sit down with the kids and they each pick me one book they were looking at from their reading mat and I read out loud to them.

Everyone to their assigned bedrooms.

RELAX!
lindap1229 07:27 PM 03-31-2015
I am having a hard time with this quote thingy. I am wondering what soft music CD it is that you use?
DaisyMamma 03:11 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
My group can hardly stay awake through lunch, so after they eat and wash up they go straight to their cots!
I do not rub kid's backs, even the very young, learn to self soothe sooner, if I put them in playpen and leave them alone, with the exception of replacing pacifier once or at the most twice.
..of course I do not expect babies to stay the whole duration of the nap.
This exactly
Tags:nap schedule, napping routines
Reply Up